Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Bhairava

Re: Bhairava

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna View Post
    I did not speak about Shankara's tradition or Tantric Buddhism in general, but about specific *interpretations* of their doctrines (which aren't the only). And obviously there may exist such a thing as a wrong interpretation, won't U agree?
    Within Buddhism there are many interpretations and attendant practices (some are quite dualistic). I find the most sublime to be within the traditions of Mahamudra and Dzogchen.
    The key Dzogchen text of the "Supreme Source" accords naked awareness (rigpa) the status of a 'ground of being' (in a similar fashion to some Shaivite schools) it does not advocate emptiness as the ultimate state, rather rigpa is considered to be both beyond samsara and nirvana.

So, whilst "wrong" interpretations do exist, there may also be a case of different levels which accord to the capacity of the student.

Namaste

Namaste Srivijaya,

Exactly, Mahamudra and Dzodchen are very close to Atimarga Hindu traditions – Kula, Trika, Krama and Srividya.
    All these doctrines are regarded as the highest.

Namaste all,

Could somebody share with me the Kala bhairava gayatri. Thanks.

4. Thumbs Up Re: Bhairava

om mahabhiravaye vidmahe kaal rudraye dhimahi tanno kammo bhiravkledinitya prcodayat
    iti... Sri Kalika Puran

Re: Bhairava's etymology

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    Namasté
    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post

On A fews posts there has been mention on the etymology of Bhairava's name.
    • From a Kasmir Shaivism orientation Bhairava is all pervading as He carries the whole universe.
    • Now this fear bhI is “to fear” or “to be afraid or anxious” - Kasmir Shaivism's orientation is Bhairava liberates beings from the fear. Fear of what? samsara, as mentioned in the stotra samsarabhiruhitakrcca.
    • And he illumines everything with His bhA - bhA means “to shine” or “to be bright or luminous”, “to shine forth or appear”, “to be splendid or beautiful or eminent”, “to show, exhibit, or manifest”, or “to be or exist” - per sarabhanga.
    • And they see Bhairava as the nature of Pure I (Aham); This is the alignment with Siva, Being, Aham.
    This bhā is of key import as it is Divine illumination that takes away the darkness of ignorance, of avidya. More central to this Saivism Bhairava eliminates abuddaha. This abuddha: a or 'not' + bhu 'to become or exist' ; or budh ' to elighten , to know'. So it is without the knowledge of enlightenment or SELF referral. Kasmir Shaivism points to this as absolute unawareness of the SELF, completely lost in the field of prakriti with no sense of Aham.

I think combing sarabhanga's post + Agnideva's + some info found in studies¹, it helps one understand the depth and breath of Bhairava, and why He is viewed as Mahabhairava.
    Bhairava defined from a different perspective - the view of Gautam Chatterji as he translates Abhinavagupta's Tantṛālokaḥ. He suggests the following:
    • bha is bharaṇa भरण - maintaining , supporting , nourishing
    • ra is ravaṇa रवण- Gautam Chatterji suggests this means withdrawal from manifestation or projection; yet a dictionary view on this matter suggests ravaa as the following: roaring , yelling , crying , howling , singing
      • ra is acquiring or possessing ; this is the only word (IMO) then that may apply for an approximation of ~withdrawal~ as it is rooted in rā which = acquiring , possessing
      • rava is roaring, yelling; it is rooted in ru रु- to make any noise or sound i.e. to roar , bellow , howl , yelp , cry , sing, bee's buzzing, etc.
      • vaṇa वणa sound , noise
    • va is vamana वमन emitting , emission
    Hence I see why Gautam Chatterji would find Bhairava attractive as bha + ra + va; as it fits nicely with the view that Bhairava creates and emits this Universe (va) + nourshies & maintains (bha), and He that takes it back again (ra).
    Or Bhairava =Brahma (va) + Viṣṇu (bha) + Śiva or Rudra (ra).

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 28 March 2009 at 04:30 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Man I wanted to find information about Lord Shiva as Bhairava and this thread has so many differing opinions, none of which seems to be conclusive.

I am so confused right now, I think I have to travel to different temples of India and do a research by myself.

Vannakkam Kumar Das:

Such is the case in this vastness. Glory at the many POV's all acceptable to each individual, yet confusing! But you stated the 'correct' way for each, and that is to decide for oneself. Happy researching.

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté Kunar_das

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar_Das View Post
    Man I wanted to find information about Lord Shiva as Bhairava and this thread has so many differing opinions, none of which seems to be conclusive.

I am so confused right now, I think I have to travel to different temples of India and do a research by myself.
    Confusion is not our intent (obviously ) but the depth and breath of this great knowledge is humbling. EM says it correctly - All glory to this vastness of wisdom and POV's.

Yet the pickle is this - there are so many levels of knowledge on HDF that for some this is 'just right' for others, 'too much' and for others 'which way is up ? ' .

We are here to help to the best of our ability. I hope HDF continues to assist all that wish to expand their level of knowledge and to promote a deeper thinking on the wisdom. Sometimes we hit the mark, other times, well not so much.

o śipiviṣṭāya nama
    o I bow (salutations) to śipiviṣṭāya
    the One encircled in rays of light

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

9. Re: Bhairava

I was wondering if any one of you knows 108 names of Bhairava or if you know where can i find those names written in sanskrit and translated in english?

Thread Information