Namaste HDF,

I know I need to read more of the Hindu scriptures...having read the Bhagavad Gita and only bits and pieces of the Ramayana, I know I've only scratched the surface of all the literature Hinduism has to offer. I know I need to read more in order to fully grasp more of Hinduism's concepts, but...well, a couple of factors intimidate me.

First of all...there's a lot of scriptures. And some of these scriptures contain volumes of text (like the Mahabharata). I should probably devote more time to reading these scriptures so I can catch up little by little, but that brings me to the second factor. I admit it, as a product of a technological generation my attention span is quite small when it comes to reading books. I start to read a book, and within minutes of the first chapter my mind starts to wander and I get more easily distracted, like the dog from that movie Up by Pixar. Sometimes I even get sleepy when I try to read.

I'm just wondering if there's some way I can counter these two factors to try to get into reading more Hindu scriptures? I'm not suggesting that people recommend "dumbed down" versions for me, but maybe just some advice on how to pay more attention and get more knowledge from these scriptures.