Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5,000 buffaloes slaughtered in Nepal's animal sacrifice ritual

Question Re: 5,000 buffaloes slaughtered in Nepal's animal sacrifice ritual

Namaste Ram ji and Believer Ji

Interesting discussion but are we running away from the shameful truth?

There are Hindu temples in South India (Tamil Nadu and Karnataka ) with main deity being forms of Shiva and Parvathi.

People kill animals and cook all delicacies with in the temple offer the cooked food as well as blood to the deities. They also offer Beedi country liquor etc etc.

I have visited those temples when I was an aethist. I think this happens even in west Bengal and my Bengali friends (who call themselves as Brahmins and eat fish delicacies ) say it is common in west Bengal.

In northern India there is no limit for this barbarism as a sect thriving on rotten human remains are called as special Shiva Bhakthi.

We have many YouTube videos as proofs.

And there is a story of Vathapi and sage Agasthya. (Vaathapi Jeerno Bhava)

I am not against non vegetarian diet but it sucks only when Animals are killed as an offering to Hindu deities.

The question is whether Hinduism preaches animal or humans to be killed and offered as it is done in present day Hinduism by Taantriks and by commoner in few Hindu temples ?

Any thoughts?
    Anirudh...

Re: 5,000 buffaloes slaughtered in Nepal's animal sacrifice ritual

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Interesting discussion but are we running away from the shameful truth?

There are Hindu temples in South India (Tamil Nadu and Karnataka ) with main deity being forms of Shiva and Parvathi.

People kill animals and cook all delicacies with in the temple offer the cooked food as well as blood to the deities. They also offer Beedi country liquor etc etc
    I am not a scholar of scriptures. So, I can't quote anything to refute the charge that animal offering is associated with Hinduism. However, Ram11 has provided some narrative about this not being a Vedic tradition and that the practice is associated with Hinduism just because some Hindus choose to do it.

Regarding the revelation about meat, blood, beedi and country liquor being offered to the deities is new to me as I am not too familiar with the non-mainstream temples in TN and Karnataka that indulge in those practices. Last year I found a temple in the heart of Delhi where the devotees offered liquor as an offering which was all poured into a barrel and the prasad given out of this barrel. For some reason the thread on Aghori Sadhus was allowed to stand whereas my post about this mandir was deemed inappropriate for the forum and deleted by the moderators.

Perhaps some members familiar with various scriptures, specially with the Vedas may shed some light on this anomaly practiced by certain sects. But be rest assured that the mainstream Hindus do believe in ahiNsa and do not partake in such hideous, sub-human ceremonies.

Pranam.

PS In north India many Shiv bhaktas consider it appropriate to smoke and to offer to the Lord, ganja. This is even practiced in Varanasi per the information provided by Devotee. So, lot of people take liberties with the norm and do undesirable things in the name of certain Hindu deities.

Namaste

I said that I heard it, that's all. Specifically I heard this claimed about the horse sacrifice. Either the animal is helped or it isn't. However merely mentioning this isn't "propagation".

Hari Aum

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Propagation of such things does not bring any credit to ourselves or to the Sanatan Dharma. ...
    Last edited by R Gitananda; 03 December 2014 at 08:47 PM.
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Namaste Gitananda

The word of mouth helps the salesman
    Anirudh...

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by R Gitananda View Post
    I said that I heard it, that's all.
    I am sorry if you felt that it was some kind of reprimand. Far from it, what I was trying to convey is that if you hear something outlandish, just let it go. There is no need to repeat it to an average Joe on the street who is looking to defame Hinduism anyway, or to people in this forum, who don't want to hear such narrative. Hearsay with no proof whatsoever is merely gossip. Does anyone here care about gossip about Hinduism? Probably not.

Pranam.

Namasthe Anirudh

Namaste Gitananda

The word of mouth helps the salesman
    Who is selling what? I am vegetarian and I wish to remain so. However you started this thread and I am trying to have a serious discussion on this issue.

As per Brahma Vaivarta Purana (185.180),[2] the Ashvamedha is one of five rites forbidden in the Kali Yuga, the present age. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashvamedha
    o.k. so it is not recommended anymore. However some on this thread seem to have given the impression that the idea of animal sacrifice has been simply cooked up (no pun intended) by people who want to feast on flesh. However animal sacrifices are described in the Vedas so it has been a part of Sanatana Dharma for as long as anyone can remember. Whether or not it should still be done is a relevant discussion to have I think.

... After this, the horse, a hornless he-goat, a wild ox (go-mrga, Bos gavaeus) are bound to sacrificial stakes near the fire, and seventeen other animals are attached to the horse. A great number of animals, both tame and wild, are tied to other stakes, according to a commentator 609 in total (YV VSM 24 consists of an exact enumeration).
    Then the horse is slaughtered (YV VSM 23.15, tr. Griffith)
    Steed, from thy body, of thyself, sacrifice and accept thyself.Thy greatness can be gained by none but thee. The chief queen ritually calls on the king's fellow wives for pity. The queens walk around the dead horse reciting mantras. The chief queen then has to mimic copulation with the dead horse, while the other queens ritually utter obscenities.[3]
    On the next morning, the priests raise the queen from the place where she has spent the night with the horse. With the Dadhikra verse (RV 4.39.6, YV VSM 23.32), a verse used as a purifier after obscene language.
    The three queens with a hundred golden, silver and copper needles indicate the lines on the horse's body along which it will be dissected. The horse is dissected, and its flesh roasted. Various parts are offered to a host of deities and personified concepts with utterances of svaha "all-hail". ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashvamedha
    If you know for a fact that the above information is wrong - then please edit wikipedia and let the truth be known.

Hari Aum
    Last edited by R Gitananda; 03 December 2014 at 08:59 PM.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Namasthe

No problem. Perhaps then I should have assumed that the original poster was just making a rhetorical point. I understand your concern about defaming Hinduism, however if that is our main concern (rather than having vigorous discussions) then perhaps some topics shouldn't be broached at all. For instance 'Hot Topics' is very dangerous in this regards.

Hari Aum

Namaste,

I am sorry if you felt that it was some kind of reprimand. Far from it, what I was trying to convey is that if you hear something outlandish, just let it go. There is no need to repeat it to an average Joe on the street who is looking to defame Hinduism anyway, or to people in this forum, who don't want to hear such narrative. Hearsay with no proof whatsoever is merely gossip. Does anyone here care about gossip about Hinduism? Probably not.

Pranam.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Namaste

We have heard about Ashwamedha Yagna and other Yagna and have discussed in HDF. I dont remember the thread if you are interested you can find that out. I have mentioned it in the post #1.

It is unable to establish whether the actual animal was killed or an animal like figure made out of rice floor was offered as the part of Animal Sacrifice (murder)

I would expect you to do a thorough study before sharing your views and also suggest you to stop quoting from Wikipedia. Ask other learned members whether they would accept Wikipedia as a source of proof?

I wont trust Griffith translation for the obvious reasons then Wikipedia can not even can be considered as a source in argument. I wont deny it gives a basic level of understanding but not worthy in debate.

We are discussing the Animal Sacrifice (murder) from a different view point. If you think it as an empty talk then kindly invest your energy in a better thread.
    Anirudh...

Namaste,

If this is acceptable then how are we different from Islam or Christianity which doesn't prohibit Animal Sacrifice.
    I find this correlation disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by R Gitananda View Post
    How many more buffaloes are slaughtered in India for it to be the world's top exporter of beef?
    QED.

Greetings,

But be rest assured that the mainstream Hindus do believe in ahiNsa and do not partake in such hideous, sub-human ceremonies.
    And you know what else these "mainstream Hindus" do? They almost always stay mum when gomata-s (and goats) are butchered left and right, easily more than Nepal's 5,000, on Eid/Ramadan all across Bharat every year; but it seems they easily find the time to often condemn the practices of other Hindus. I find that quite fascinating.
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 04 December 2014 at 11:33 AM.

Thread Information