Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5,000 buffaloes slaughtered in Nepal's animal sacrifice ritual

Re: 5,000 buffaloes slaughtered in Nepal's animal sacrifice ritual

Namaste SP,

You are killing us all with your comments man. We don't have any answers to your observations.

Pranam.

Namaste Sudas ji
    Who are these mainstream Hindus local Indians living in India? Your statements are very harsh on the locals...

Tell me what could be done when you are fighting for survival. It is easy point fingers at.

Believer ji will be upset if I talk about results of invasions and pseudo secularism etc etc.

At 40+ even with two master degree I have to fight regional racism, local thugs, terrorism, illiteracy among peers and necessary EVILS and last but not the least corruption. And I am not an exception.

Religion, Ethics, Society Consciousness takes a back SEAT when you constantly worry whether your family will reach back home safely or your manager would take you for a ride BECAUSE you don't belong to his community or your kid would be facing some evil element's advances at School, Bus, etc etc.

Not to mention about the politicians and rich vendors.

In the last 30 days alone price of (essential commodities ) wheat / rice has gone by 50 paise to 1 rupee. ie Up by Rs 15 to 30 for a 30 KG bag. Onions and Tomato prices fluctuates like equations between daughter in law and mother in law in tell serial .

To provide the basic security which the government has failed the commoner has to go that extra mile and while doing so will the commoner worry about cow being slaughtered or about some pervert trying to harm your loved ones.

We (including me) speak lot about philosophy Saadhana god bliss etc etc here at HDF. will those discussion get the money to buy the basic security here
    and now?

None of us one have the answers to the problem faced so how will the commoner develop faith and be committed to his faith?

I assume you are an Indian living in a developed country. May I ask you what have you done to the suffering people back home? Dont ask me what can be done?

Locals are fighting a multi dimensional battle and they are doing fairly well. Till Modi's swearing in India was (morally) under slavery.

Awareness has just now started so it s too early to critize.

PS: Hopefully didn't contradicted to many of my past statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Greetings,

And you know what else these "mainstream Hindus" do? They almost always stay mum when gomata-s (and goats) are butchered left and right, easily more than Nepal's 5,000, on Eid/Ramadan all across Bharat every year; but it seems they easily find the time to often condemn the practices of other Hindus. I find that quite fascinating.
    Anirudh...

Quite ironic that the land in which Buddha was born in is the region in which this "Shri" Panchavarshiya Gadhimai Mela just took place, as he was against pashubali. Then again, this is also the land of PNS, who was proud of chopping to pieces the citizens of Kantipur, which he brags about in his Dibyopadesh, and who wanted to exile all of the Kayasthas to Bhot (tibet). Anyway, this has nothing to do with the actual propitiation of the Devi Gadhimai, unlike at the Kamakhya Mandir in Axom. The sacrifice is done some 4 miles away from the mandir and it's not even an ancient practice. It was created by some raja named Bhagawan Chaudhary (in the 1800s, I don't remember the exact year, probably around 1889, since this is the twenty fifth or twenty sixth one, and it is done every five years) who was arrested and after getting let out, started a mass sacrifice to his ishta devata (Gadhimai) and that's how the practice started. The Nepali government doesn't do anything about because before the Communist takeover, corrupt Girija Koirala wanted the Bhojpuri, Bihari, and Madheshi vote, as 70% of the visitors are from India and 28% are from the Tarain region of Nepal. There's also economic reasons. The devotees bring their own calves, so it's at no cost to the government, and the government uses the skins to make leather, while the meat is given out as prasad. Furthermore, ever since the Maovadi government came in, they're certainly not going to ban it, since most communists love meat (look at the comments on the twitter profiles of Kavita Krishnan and also "Freedomzfighter" and their views on meat for example).

In regard to Gitananda and SP's comments, the fact that more animals are killed during Eid and Thanksgiving doesn't really mean much. Westerners and Muslims view most animals as food, not living creatures, we can't change that (we can protest, but that's about it). However in kaliyugam, Hindus are supposed to exercise compassion (e.g. NOT placing taste and money over the life of another creature); failure to do so, leads to decline in dharma (hence the phrase ahiMsAparamodharmaH). I realise that you don't support the sacrifice, but pointing to other hopeless situations is rather pointless.
    Last edited by Jaskaran Singh; 04 December 2014 at 09:53 PM. Reason: I forgot to proofread certain things, oops...
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Hindu is term name of organization,
    so there is include many different tradition.
    Even the Ramayana and all sastra tell us how the devotee do the devotion to defeat Triloka and make all human and devas as his slave.

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Question Re: 5,000 buffaloes slaughtered in Nepal's animal sacrifice ritual

Hi

Haven't understood your post, can you explain in detail

Quote Originally Posted by shian View Post
    Hindu is term name of organization,
    so there is include many different tradition.
    Even the Ramayana and all sastra tell us how the devotee do the devotion to defeat Triloka and make all human and devas as his slave.
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    At 40+ even with two master degree I have to fight regional racism, local thugs, terrorism, illiteracy among peers and necessary EVILS and last but not the least corruption. And I am not an exception.

Religion, Ethics, Society Consciousness takes a back SEAT when you constantly worry whether your family will reach back home safely or your manager would take you for a ride BECAUSE you don't belong to his community or your kid would be facing some evil element's advances at School, Bus, etc etc.
    Namaste, Anirudh:

I hope you can forgive my digression here, but the above has gotten me severely discouraged. I hope you know that you have my sympathies, dear fellow Bharatiya. If you don't mind answering, may you be kind as to explain or detail where it is that you currently reside (as in, which state)? And which region or state you originally (or ethno-linguistically) hail from?

Anirudh, the inter-regional rivalries, racism, and ethnocentrism that so many Bharatiya-s engage in is horrid and despicable. We are children of Maa Bharati's soil, and to read about such unfortunate situations can be quite devastating. As idealistic as this sounds, I have always presumed that Bharatiya unity would be a stable force, bringing together peoples of different backgrounds based solely on the principle that we are Bharatiya and therefore we are comrades by default. But its implementation is rather difficult since region-centric factionalism is a cumbersome blockade.

Once again, I hope you pardon this digression and I hope you know that I offer my sympathies in regards to the horrors of Bharatiya regionalism/factionalism that you and your family are subjugated to on a daily basis. Always know that regardless of your differing thoughts on matters of Dharma with me, you have camaraderie based solely on the principle that you are a Bharatiya. Jai Shri Ram!, fellow Anirudh.

ps - The topic of this thread has been discussed in detail before. For example, please click here; and if you have the time please carefully read post #3 by HDF member, Kshama; and also please read post #4 by HDF moderator, Eastern Mind. I believe those two posts convey sentiments that I hold in a better fashion than I will ever be able to. Namaste.

Smile Re: 5,000 buffaloes slaughtered in Nepal's animal sacrifice ritual

Namaste Sudas ji

I was writing generic challenges faced by an average Indian. Nothing personal.

Thank you for your kind words...
    Anirudh...

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    We (including me) speak lot about philosophy Saadhana god bliss etc etc here at HDF. will those discussion get the money to buy the basic security here and now?

None of us one have the answers to the problem faced so how will the commoner develop faith and be committed to his faith?
    Thanks for bringing up the root causes of why things go on the way they do in India. When people are divided and everyone is worried about providing the next meal or the safety and security of one's family, everything else takes a back seat. The regional politicians whip up the local populations into a frenzy for their own survival and actively encourage the divisions among people of different regions. So we stay divided instead of thinking of ourselves as Bhartiyas. That leads the politicians at the national level to pander to the minorities to stay in power. The Hindu King Mody could do a lot more if his support base became wider than it is. To discourage India from being a beef exporter, he would have to take on the minorities and that would be a political suicide. Most Indians settled overseas and the Westerners have very little knowledge of the current ground reality. They simply don't understand why politicians there tread lightly on certain issues and why they have to compromise their principles to stay in power and be able to push at least part of their agenda. The Hindu population is not a monolith supporting only the Hindu nationalist political party.

Indian media has always worked against the Hindu causes. Only a couple of days back one of King Mody's ministers said something to the effect that her party consisted of Ram-zadas (sons of Ram) whereas the last party in power consisted of Haram-zadas (bastards). The media interpreted that as an attack on the minorities, roundly chewed her out for her speech and demanded that she be fired. King Mody refused to placate them. This is something new and bold. But the politicians in general have to be careful to stay within boundaries and not offend the minorities lest they lose their support. Hindus of Chennai or Kolkata or Trivendram or Punjab have little use for King Mody and to offset that he has to appease the minorities to stay in power. And that means allowing beef exports.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-30340996

Pranam.

-
    Last edited by Believer; 18 December 2014 at 08:57 AM.

Some Shaktas and Shaivas do have faith in animal sacrifices and eat meat, it is an instance of what we could call "folk Hinduism". It seems to be a tradition native to India (as opposed to being imported from a foreign culture) but outside the framework of the faith of Vedas, Upanishads, etc.

It brings up the question of where to draw the line between who is a Hindu and who is not- does one have to be free of any folk Hindu practices to be Hindu or is it sufficient that one worships the Hindu gods? I for one, as someone who worships as a form of Shakti as my Ishta Devata, and someone who eats meat (of course, I abstain from beef) would include the Gadhimai worshipers as Hindus.

Thread Information