Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Soundarya Lahari - Shree Shankaraachaaryaa - Advaita

Re: Soundarya Lahari - Shree Shankaraachaaryaa - Advaita

Namaste Amrut Ji

Thanks for the post. It caused few doubts, will post them when I am able to put those doubts in words.
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by hinduism♥krishna View Post
    Just impossible! Adi shankara can't speak against Vishnu Purana , wherein krishna is mentioned as incarnation of vishnu. I think I'd read it, let me see how and where he says it. *Could you please give me verse no.?*
    Namaste,

whenever any form of God is praised as Supreme Brahman, it is nirguNa brahman. So viShNu is not caturbhuja viShNu. In the same way, kruShNa is not murlidhar, a person. So kruShNa as supreme brahman is technically nirguNa. This is the general stand. but in the mood of bhakti, you extole your beloved God as the supreme and not as any incarnation

Adi Sankara was in the mood of bhakti. I will point the verse no in a day or two

@Anirudh

No Problem Anirudh ji,

My personal opinion is that we have limited time. Since you are personally trying to settle in VA, better dip yourself in bhakti then trying to compare other sects. It is not possible to understand each and everything, better move on and try to be with Shri Ramachandra Prabhu as much as you can.

OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste Ekam ji

Thank you very much for sharing those words. I would like to cross check with you whether I have understood your statements completely and clearly.

#1. Shree Shankaraachaaryaa didn't stop or rejected the duality route to reach the final destination or the last leg of purushartha. He himself believed and praised the attributes of Bhagwaan or Brahman.

#2. Shree Shankaraachaaryaa went a step ahead and said at the highest level, Brahman has no form and no attributes. This route also takes the Seeker to reach the final destination or the last leg of purushartha.

If #1 and #2 are true, for the time being I will not question on the necessities of the route #2. Because

a) We all come in different shapes and size and hence need different medium to reach the final leg.

b) The emphasise is on the act of reaching the final leg and not on the route to reach.

c) As the purpose of our (soul) to take human appearance is to reach the final leg, it is inappropriate or probably counter productive to divert of focus from reaching the final leg to other actions including efforts to validate the routes.

Thanks and Regards
    Namaste Anirudhji.

Exactly. I would elaborate on the subject, but Amrutji has already done it brilliantly. I subscribe to his view too.

Pranams.

Quote Originally Posted by hinduism♥krishna View Post
    Just impossible! Adi shankara can't speak against Vishnu Purana , wherein krishna is mentioned as incarnation of vishnu. I think I'd read it, let me see how and where he says it. *Could you please give me verse no.?*
    Namaste,

Please find verses from Prabodh Sudhakar:

prabodha sudhAkara (Prabodh Sudhakar)
    प्रबोध सुधाकर

(Notes are comments by Samvid, translator of Prabodh Sudhakar, published by Samata Books)

Chapter 19, the Divine grace.

Note, though the author has divided this grantha into chapters, the verse numbers do not restart in each chapter, but continue from previous chapters. Total number of verses are 257.

येयदुनन्दननिहतास्तेतु भूयःपुनर्भवंप्रापुः
    तस्मादवताराणामन्तर्यामीप्रवर्तकःकृष्णः२४१

241. As regards those who were killed by (kruShNa), the delight of the Yadu-race, they did not again suffer rebirth. Therefore, kruShNa is the originator and inner controller of Divine incarnations

Note: Here kruShNa is identified with the Supreme Self who resides within all beings and controls their actions. It is He who incarnates on earth to upholds the moral and spiritual Law.

ब्रह्माण्डानिबहूनिपक्ङजभवान्प्रत्यण्डमत्यद्भुतान्
    गोपान्वत्सयुतानदर्शयदजंविष्णूनशेषांच्श्र यः
    शभुर्यच्चरणोदकंस्वशिरसाधते मूर्तित्रयात्
    कृष्णोवैपृथजस्तिकोऽप्यविकृतःसच्चिन्मयोनीलिमा२४२

242. He who showed brahmA, the unborn, numerous universe-systems and in every such universe, extremely wonderful Creator-gods (or lotus-born brahmA-s), cowheards accompanied by calves and all protector-gods (viShNu), and the water emanating from whose feet, Sambhu (or Lord Siva) bears on his head, (that) kruShNa is indeed distinct from the tree-fold form of Godhead (brahmA, viShNu, Siva), some indescribable unmodified blueness consisting of Pure Being-consciousness.

Note: In this verse, the author displays his devotion to kruShNa, as well as his uncompromising stand on the Unity of Godhead. kruShNa is seen by him as the Trancendent Reality surpassing the Divine Trinity-brahmA, the creator God, viShNu, the Protector-god and Siva, the Destroyer-god – though purANa-s hold that he is the full incarnation of viShNu. When brahmA removed the cowherds and the calves and concealed them in a cave without the knowledge of kruShNa, the latter showed him innumerable universe-systems, each with it’s own Trinity and cowherds and calves.

The celectial gangA river is considered as emanating from the feet of viShNu (regarded as kruShNa) and, when it was brought to earth, Siva is stated to have borne it on his head to reduce its force. The idea conveyed by the verse is that kruShNa is, inreality, the Transcendent Existence-consciousness-Bliss and is the very soul and basis of all universes. Gods and beings.

Earlier, kruShNa, vAsudeva is equated as Self of all, inner controller and as Sat-Chit-Anand. This is not mentioned in single verse but spread over a few verses (not in continuity).

Here the deity of preservation (viShNu) is different than the supreme reality, viShnu. The deity of preservation or say the Trinity is born from 1/4 th part of Sri hari, who is the cause of all. In advaita this ‘source of all’ is taken as Brahman, which is not a person. It is referred by names, hari, vAsudeva, keSava, nArAyaNa, janArdhana or even Siva, ambA, etc. Mostly names of viShNu are used for major times. This may be confusing to many. At times trinity are taken as feminine aspects, pradhAna prakruti

viShNu is the nearest murta-svarUpa of Brahman and so worthy of praise and worship says viShNu purANa.

EDIT:

Personal Note: When someone like rAdhA or kruShNa is extolled as the supreme reality, it is said by great devotees in trance, in ecstasy, in god-intoxicated state. We got to respect them for their devotion. I personally do not go into technicalities like, did rAdhA ever exists, why is she absent from viShNu and bhAgavat purANa, or in mahAbhArata (as kruShNa's lover) etc. The sheer force of devotion will raise the faithful devotee into ecstasy. What more is needed. This love is no ordinary love and will flush our all negativity and will no doubt melt all sins

OM
    Last edited by Amrut; 03 December 2014 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Added last para after EDIT
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information