Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most Effective Meditation Length?

Re: Most Effective Meditation Length?

Meditationis a balancing technique. Through balance, holistic awareness expands and themany benefits of meditation begin to unfold.
    as longas you are comfortable doing so. If you can meditate for 15 minutes, then doso. If you can meditate for an hour, then do so.
    Thatbeing said, you need to pay close attention to what we call your peak level oftolerance. It is possible to meditate too much. Even one hour a day may be toomuch for beginner. Initially it may be best to meditate for 15 to 30 minutes aday.
    So myadvice is, just do it. If you can only manage twenty minutes a day, do twentyminutes. If you can only manage ten, do that. If three minutes is all you have,then spending three minutes is much, much better than not doing so.
    Whatabout a maximum?
    I findthat if I meditate for more than 90 minutes over the course of a day, there’san extra “kick” from the practice, and a deep sense of joy comes into my life.I don’t expect that this length of time will apply for everyone, but I expectthat there are “tipping points” past which meditation has extra benefits, andthat that’s true for most people, even if the magic number isn’t always thesame.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel_Fleur View Post
    Namaste everyone!

I've been meditating daily for 8 months. I meditate at night before sleep for roughly 30 mins and in the morning for 5 mins after Surya Namaskara. I feel now as if I need to lengthen my nightly meditation. I've been able to sit for longer and maintain concentration but at the same time I often feel an antsy urge to get up even when I feel myself getting into a deeper meditative state. Is there an ideal length for meditation? A most effective length that enables one to get deeper into a meditative state? I've been doing Jaggi Vasudev's method of mentally saying "I am not the body" on the inhale and "I am not even the mind" on the exhale, then mentally or vocally chanting Om and the names of various goddesses and gods, then Ramana Maharshi's "Who am I?" method at the end. Any suggestions or advice? Thank you.

Most Effective Meditation Length is 23 Minutes Per day.

Generally, on meditation and meditation length.

A good way to start our meditation practice is with "just sitting" meditation. You just sit in a nice quiet corner of your room and just stay calm and consider it "your spiritual time." If you do that every day, at the same time, slowly, over time, your own soul will come forward and teach you how to meditate.

This is really the best way to start and the best way to learn.

And you can do that for the first 3 months or 6 months or a year. And then, if you like, you can look into various methods. But ideally, the meditation should come naturally from within yourself. And that could include connecting with existing meditations forms that you sense are appropriate for you.

Really folks should start out very very small and very slowly and gradually build up.

I would just start with meditating 2 - 5 minutes per day. Try that for a few weeks. If you feel like doing more, try 5 - 15 minutes daily for a few months.

If, after a few months, you feel you would like to do more, try and do two 15 minute sessions, one in the morning and one at night.

And I would stick with that for 6 months or a year.

If after that time, you are really meditating every single day, without fail and still want to do more...I would gradually build up to two 30 minute sessions daily, one in the morning and one in the evening...and also a short 5 minute session in the middle of the day. If you have time to do 15 minutes in the middle of the day, that is fine.

And at this point, meditating an hour daily, it is probably best to not do more for a few years. Just let that amount of practice work on you.

If at the end of 3 years you are still meditating every day and still want to do more, it is probably best to now look into your life and work on making the entirety of your life as spiritual as you can, both outwardly and inwardly.

If you want to do more actual meditation practice, you might also want to look into other kinds of spiritual practice...like singing or playing spiritual music, or getting involved in other spiritual arts.

If you still want to go farther, you can bring you morning and evening meditations up to an hour.

The percentage of people who maintain doing 2 hours of meditation every single day...that percentage is very small.

If you really think about doing more....you probably want to think about entering into a spiritual community.

Thread Information