Thread: Disturbing "gun in your face" Bollywood movie trends

Disturbing "gun in your face" Bollywood movie trends

Commercials advertising Bollywood movies come on our television here where we live (California). Actually I am becoming disgusted with the trend in Bollywood film. Literally, I find myself saying out loud, "How is this India?" ... meaning culture.

Certainly there is violence depicted in film, but these movie adverts are not about films on Indian war heroes, they are ... how should I word it? It is making heroes of those who stick a gun in someone's face and kill them as if they are a bug, without second thought, then move on to drinking, flirting, laughing. They put a gun in a woman's hand and then say "shoot that man", then they kiss as if they are "cool" or something.

Most of the scenes are not in India, but Europe or such. And I see no Indian culture in them, no Hindu values or example. They are like a very bad James Bond movie but not even clever - everything is wrong about them.

Is Hinduism dying in India? Seriously. As incredible as it may sound to you in India, I am now seeing more films in America that show positive light on Indian culture, on yoga and Hinduism albeit very "beginners" level, but positive. Not a lot, I will not exaggerate ... but more it seems to me than in Indian film of late. I would not even call these films "Indian", it doesn't matter that the actors and actresses are speaking Hindi or the "heroes" call murderers and scummy fellow as "Desi". They are not even Indian, certainly not Hindu.

Some will blame the West for these horrible movies. Yet I am not so sure about that. Sometimes I ask myself, "will the West become the last refuge for Indian culture and Hinduism?"... what is happening? Why these horrible movies?

I am a Hindu. What is this I see?
    Last edited by ShivaFan; 01 December 2014 at 10:10 PM.

Re: Disturbing "gun in your face" Bollywood movie trends

Dear friend ,
    Yes hinduism is vanishing now a days. All the values attached to sanathana dharma , all the concepts of tolerance , live and let live policy , are receding . To be frank , all these values are thriving in the west .I am very sorry to say that but I can't help .

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Commercials advertising Bollywood movies come on our television here where we live (California). Actually I am becoming disgusted with the trend in Bollywood film. Literally, I find myself saying out loud, "How is this India?" ... meaning culture.

Certainly there is violence depicted in film, but these movie adverts are not about films on Indian war heroes, they are ... how should I word it? It is making heroes of those who stick a gun in someone's face and kill them as if they are a bug, without second thought, then move on to drinking, flirting, laughing. They put a gun in a woman's hand and then say "shoot that man", then they kiss as if they are "cool" or something.

Most of the scenes are not in India, but Europe or such. And I see no Indian culture in them, no Hindu values or example. They are like a very bad James Bond movie but not even clever - everything is wrong about them.

Is Hinduism dying in India? Seriously. As incredible as it may sound to you in India, I am now seeing more films in America that show positive light on Indian culture, on yoga and Hinduism albeit very "beginners" level, but positive. Not a lot, I will not exaggerate ... but more it seems to me than in Indian film of late. I would not even call these films "Indian", it doesn't matter that the actors and actresses are speaking Hindi or the "heroes" call murderers and scummy fellow as "Desi". They are not even Indian, certainly not Hindu.

Some will blame the West for these horrible movies. Yet I am not so sure about that. Sometimes I ask myself, "will the West become the last refuge for Indian culture and Hinduism?"... what is happening? Why these horrible movies?

I am a Hindu. What is this I see?
    Pranam,

Before rejecting the Aryan Invasion construct in my mind, I actually gave it a real serious thought. Because it easily explains a lot of things (and some I personally know- perfectly reasonable people - believe in it).

Talking of movies, they are a direct window into a people; and the regional (state level) movies from some states in India - and you know it is not even not clever, it's outright subhuman.

One defence, however, can be made here that the money involve in the production of these films has sources in black money, terror, extortion. So this leaves out our village Hindu from the entire loop, but the ugliness of Urbans and semi urbans is beyond disgusting.

Bengal has already led the way with its people steadily giving in to and converting formally (after all that is more sincere) to different religion.

Can we give Modi - the outsider - an outside chance? One may say, a single person cannot change everything; but this is far from truth - he can if he is an empowered individual.

But in any case I don't see Dharma making a revival in the present set up. People aren't just upto it, they've lost it.

West, on the other hand, is innately not complex enough to support Dharma in all its totality. But the richness can be developed from Dharma itself, and if and when that happens, the West will be superior in every sense to everyone, and India will lose Her very reason to survive.

However that is also far fetched, not gonna happen. False gurus will misrepresent the complexity of Vedic thought; some of very corrupted Indians will keep coming to the West claiming themselves as enlightened beings - and public will accept them simply on the face value of them being "native Hindu".

Personally, I am not concerned about the survival of India as a political state, not as much as the survival of Dharma. If someone somewhere is doing something for its safeguard, he or she is closer to my heart than my neighbour is.

Perhaps I need to observe "empathy month".
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

There seem to be a stereotyping or branding of a hero in Indian Cinema. Down South too, the most famous ones are those that are labelled 'Action Heroes'. There is a huge fan-following for such heroes, more than the ones that show real acting skills. If you see Indian cinema closely, the movie makers take the movie primarily with 'B' and 'C' centers (rural areas) in mind, because that is the vast majority of population and thus primary movie goers. Thus the target of the movie makers is to please such audience. Since such audience are largely uneducated or under-educated, their preference for a hero is someone who is more like a 'god', fearless, can single-handedly defeat even 100 people with weapons and so forth and such audience really 'worship' their heroes. Down South of India, there is a disgusting trend to pour milk and do abhishekam over their favorite heroe's cut-out. So since movie makers think such will be the preference of this type of audience, they make their heroes act in a similar fashion in their movies, as described in your OP.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Kalicharan Tuvij View Post
    False gurus will misrepresent the complexity of Vedic thought; some of very corrupted Indians will keep coming to the West claiming themselves as enlightened beings - and public will accept them simply on the face value of them being "native Hindu".
    Oh come on. That is not going to happen.
    Jai Shri KRshNa
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Howdy,

Bollywood, eh? That whole movie industry is whack. The only good films are to be found in the underground scenes, since India's underground film market still believes in the ideal that is to create movies that actually have substance. In fact, here's a question for everyone: did ya'll know that Bollywood is one of the leading movie industries with one of the highest rates of misogynistic representation, if not the highest? True story. Gone are the days of Asha Parekh and Rajesh Khanna being straight up g with their classical acting. Now you have Bollywood discarding quality in order to provide quantity for profit maximization purposes. Plus, it is one of the very few organizations in Bharat that is given excessive leeway for anti-nationalist expression. Heck, not just Bollywood but Indian TV serials also. And don't even get me started on Indian TV serials. If I were to watch an Indian TV serial for longer than 30 seconds, I would lose ten IQ points for every additional 30 seconds spent watching. Either way, regional cinema (by state) is better than both. Hook a brother up with an English subtitled version of Me Shivajiraje Bhosale Boltoy, por favor.
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 02 December 2014 at 10:02 PM.

Not to mention the skin bleaching and lack of clothing of the actors and actresses....

But besides my sense of disgust for the massive skin bleaching and scarceness of proper clothing, there is another point of opposition to the contemporary Hindi movie industry.

With the exception of some crime films, most Bollywood movies today are promoting Western culture, with meat eating, alcohol consumption, on screen kissing, homosexual relationship and pre-marital sex as if it is something we should all accept.

As an interesting point of personal study I've always wanted to conduct a survey amongst Indians. To find out whether they would appreciate it if the supply of Indian films would be supplemented with traditional and more pattriotic elements.

Namaskar Gurujanas,
    A nice topic brought by Shiva Fan Ji.Being a resident of India I am also very saddened that our culture is degrading these days.People here in India call it "Being Modern" but is it really that? I don't think so.Our values are going down and everything is in its downfall.I mean people are getting attracted to all kinds of ill things that we should not accept.

The Bollywood is only making movies for "Entertainment" Factor nowadays that contains a Hero,a Heroine,a villian,item songs with dancers showing their skin and all that ****.Nothing which is shown is moral.only a few movies are good which show Hardwork,dedication and give a good moral which people should follow.Otherwise its all waste.

I think the West is accepting our "Former" Culture and we are "Westernizing" (I don't know if there is such a Word) ourselves but only taking the bad sides not the good ones.We are leaving the good which our scriptures say and accepting the bad things in life.

Dhanyavad
    Hari bol

Thread Information