Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaiva Sampradayas/Traditions - An attempt to List

Re: Shaiva Sampradayas/Traditions - An attempt to List

Quote Originally Posted by Ametyst View Post
    Harih Om,
    could anybody refer me to some Saiva school that welcomes women as students? I live in Europe, so it is not possible for me to visit temples, but I would love to be able to learn teachings and participate in activities if they are not necessary limited on particular place. I came across Kuai's academy, but as far as I can see, it is basically a monastery for men, so I have to search somewhere else, but I don't know where.
    If anybody would be willing to help, I'd be very happy.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Namaste Ji,

I am not sure if you want to study while being a householder(Grihasta) or take renunciation(Sanyasa).

All existing Shaiva traditions give diksha(initiation) to Grihasta women i.e. the Guru gives a mantra,teaches how to worship and gives guidance about how to go about in daily life.A Guru might teach Shaiva philosophy depending on the interest & sincerity of a student.

You can study the Master Trilogy(Set of 3 volumes are available online in their website) of Kauai Adheenam Academy by yourself at home and clarify your doubts through online communication.

Coming to Sanyasa,many Shaiva Sampradayas might have had female monastic orders in the past but I don't know if any have survived to the present day.In the Vira Shaiva Lingayat system, women and men are considered as equally important and probably they might have some existing female monastic lineages.

I study the Saiva Siddhanta Sampradaya but occasionally I read about other schools and learn from the valuable knowledge they have in theirs.I stay in India and even I would like to know where to go and study.I hope someone can guide me to a good Shaiva Guru/Institution.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Vannakkam: You can easily be a student of Kauai Aadheenam, by enrolling in the Master Course. The aadheenam is the head or ecclesiastical center of Saiva Siddhanta Church, much like the Vatican is the head of the Catholic Church. Himalayan Academy is the teaching arm. The Master Course is the on-line correspondence course. Wherever there are enough students in one location, and there are lay members, additional seminar/discussion groups are set up with lay teachers, who are older members. There used to be a student who frequented these forums, a young lady from Latvia. So it's definitely possible.

There are several Saiva temples in Europe, but I'm not privy to where you are, your financial situation or distances.

If you'd ever like more specific info, PM me.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

A member of Srouta Saiva Samprayada who saw this post,contacted me and gave more information about Srauta Shaiva tradition or Aaradhya Saivam.

Persons who have received Diksha (initiation) are called as Aaradhya Srouta Saivas.The philosophy studied by them is based on the commentary on Brahmasutras,'Sri Neelakantha Bhasya', by Srikantha Sivacharya.This Vedantic view is known as 'Shiva Shakti Vishistadvaita'.The current Guru of their traditional institution,Saiva Mahapeetam,is Peetadhipati Sivasri Mrtyunjaya Sharma.

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste

Now interested in sampradayas I tried to find out informations on Shaiva sampradayas and google guided me diretly to the forum where Ram11 composed an overview in 2014. He called his work ‚an attempt‘. I must confess, I gave up after some lines.

Why are Vaishnava sampradayas so easy to list and understand?
    Why are Shaiva sampradayas so difficult to list and understand?
    I did not find any website that gives homogeneous information as for Vaishnavas.

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

3.Saiva Siddhanta
    Features:
    1.Accepts the Vedas,Puranas and Agamas.
    2.Found predominantly in Tamil Nadu and also in Andhra Pradesh & Telanagana.
    3.Emphasis on the various Agamas and the tamil devotional literature of the 63 Nayanmars & others.

Philosophy:
    It seems that there are three interpretations:
    1.Advaita(Monism): based on Rishi Tirumular's Tirumantiram(P1)
    2.Dvaita(Dualism): based on Meykanda Shastras(P2)
    3.Bheda Abheda(Difference as well as oneness) ( P3 ) I don't know

Thus,there are three different traditions.

Institutions:

I think some Shaiva members here study either P1 or P3.The Saiva Siddhanta Church-Adheenam of Kauai,Hawaii follows P1(& P3?).

P1:Kauai Adheenam-Kailasa Parampara-Nandinatha Sampradaya

P2 & P3:
    1.Unknown...
    2.Maybe Madurai Adheenam

4.Veera Shaivas(correspons to Lingayat in the chart)
    Actually,there are two sub-schools here:
    a)Srauta Shiavas
    b)Lingayats

4)a)Srauta Shaiva(Accept authority of the Vedas[Sruti=Srauta],Puranas,Agamas etc.)
    Also known as Aradhyas(a sect of Brahmins)
    Features:
    1.Practice four-fold Varna system and Ashrama Dharma
    2.Emphasize Grihasta Dharma(Householder,family)
    3.Found mosty in Andhra Pradesh and may be in Tamil Nadu,Telangana and Karnataka.
    Philosophy:Unknown
    Institution:Unknown

4)b)Lingayats/Lingavanta/Lingadharins(
    accepts the same scriptures as the Srautas)
    Features:
    1.Reform group that rejected Varna Dharma on the call given by Sri Basaveshwara in the 11th century.
    2.Found mostly in Karnataka and also in Telangana & Andra Pradesh.
    Philosophy:Shakti Vishishta-Advaita
    Institutions:
    -The five simhasanas(seats) established by the five Siddha Acharyas/Aradhyas at Kashi,Kedarnath,Ujjani,SriShaila and Balehonnur.

Common Features:
    *In my knowledge these two are the only schools that have the concept of wearing a Siva Linga on the neck.
    Pictures: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...80&postcount=5

5.Kashmira Shaiva:

Some terms related to this school,Trika,Spanda,Pratyabhijna etc.

Features:
    1.Unknown
    2.From Kashmir
    Philosophy:Advaita?
    Institutions:
    -Unknown
    -Maybe related to Sri Abhinavagupta

I assume that one of our best and senior member Ji studies this system.I hope he will be able to tell us more about this school

6.Shiva Vishishta-Advaita
    Features:
    1.Based on
    Srikanthacharya/Nilakanthacharya's commentaries on the Upanishads and Brahma Sutras.
    School's existence unknown
    3.May or may not accept Agamas
    4.Srauta Shaivas it seems rely on these commentaries

1. shaiva siddhanta as we know is completely based in Tamil Nadu than in other states. Excluding Kannappa nayanar of Sri Kalahasti there is no other nayanar of this philosophy as we know in andhra. Wonder if there are any temples which rely on shaiva agamas in Andhra/Telangana.
    Also there seems to be some kind of admixture of Shaiva Siddhanta, Shaiva visista advaita schools.

2.Shrouta Shaiva Lingayats have very different interpretation of Nilakantha's bhashya.19TH/20TH cENTUR scholar Sri mudigonda Nagalinga Sastry was critical of Appayya Dikshitar's advaitic interpretation of Nilakantha's bhasya. Srouta Shaivas are visista advaitins where they consider Jivas as fingers of Shiva(one famous analogy i read in an article about this sect ).

Siddhanta Shavam and Shiva visista advaitam in Tamil Nadu seems to have some admixture with Advaita mutts of Kanchi and Sringeri. All these shaiva agamas have kashmiri/Middle Indian origin. Shrouta Shiavas consider Sri Lakuleeshacharya as one of their acharyas thereby stressing on Pashupata origin of their religion.

Thread Information