Thread: Books

Books

Pranams

I have in the last few months gone through a period of buying new books. In amaravati buddhist monestery in UK they have an amazing library which I used to spend hours in just browsing, books I feel are a real blessing.

I will list some of the books that I have bought recently that I have found very useful and maybe others can name some titles. I know there is an online library here but many are in Hindi and when I do real reading its not online, nothing beats paper for me.

The Path of Purifciation By Bhadantacariya BuddhaGhosa

A very good study in the concentration states and what supports them, very traditional in its expression.

Untying the Knots of the Buddhism By Alex Wayman

More of a scholarly work, and compares many modern authors with ancient teachers and texts, but I find it really well written and has a good flow to its reading, some parts as with many scholarly works can be quite tedious and austere reading but the general context to the book is very good, I think some advaitists may find some good material in this.

The Collection of Teachings By Ajahn Chah

Its a book that is transcribed Dharma talks by the Venerable Ajahn Chah that never fails to impress me with his simple but profound way of talking.

Vasisthas Yoga By Swami Venkatesananda

This book was recently recommended to me, so far I am on chapter 2, I read chapter 1 very slowly and carefully, its so powerful, what can I say, its an amazing piece of literature.

Bhagavad Gita by Oxford press

It is just the verses but still a good translation, I was more interested to see how the mighty Oxford university would deal with Bhagavad Gita, and its very handy size that one can take around if going out.

Ethics in the Mahabharata A philosophical inquiry for today
    By Sitansu S. Chakravarti. I won this on a ebay auction for just 99 pence

It just came this morning. This is also a great book, while it is quite scholarly in parts, the eb and flow is very profound and easy to read, it will suite the beginner and also the more advanced student of Mahabharata. This book actually promted me to start this post, and after I finish my bits of work I am excited to carry on reading it later tonight. It blends eastern and western concepts without diverting from the true essence of Mahabharata.

Avadhuta Gita Of Dattareya By Swami Ashokananada

While this topic is way above my level I still consider it an master piece, its so beautifully expressed, it has both Sanskrit and English verse with the odd commentary here and there.

I am also reading and doing some comparative studies on Bhagavad Gita, Srila Prabhupadas and Srila Narayana Swami's and one online edition that gives commentary's of from 4 Vaishnava schools.

This book will arrive soon. One: Essential Writings on Nonduality Jerry Katz I won it on an ebay auction for 99pence

I have a couple of versions of Mahabharata, but I am waiting on my first edition of the first set of four books by Kisari Mohan Ganguli, very excited for this book to arrive.

I have a few other books that I read through for reference or at the spur of the moment. I usually read about 10 books at a time, I have always been like that, it suites me and I seem to learn well from reading in this way, so please no comments to say I should read only one book at a time or just from one school, as it will fall on deaf ears . I am always interested in what other people read and and what its about briefly. Maybe some good conversations can come from it.

Ys

Md
    Last edited by markandeya 108 dasa; 10 December 2014 at 03:59 PM.

Re: Books

Quote Originally Posted by markandeya 108 dasa View Post
    Pranams

I have in the last few months gone through a period of buying new books. In amaravati buddhist monestery in UK they have an amazing library which I used to spend hours in just browsing, books I feel are a real blessing.

I will list some of the books that I have bought recently that I have found very useful and maybe others can name some titles. I know there is an online library here but many are in Hindi and when I do real reading its not online, nothing beats paper for me.

The Path of Purifciation By Bhadantacariya BuddhaGhosa

A very good study in the concentration states and what supports them, very traditional in its expression.

Untying the Knots of the Buddhism By Alex Wayman

More of a scholarly work, and compares many modern authors with ancient teachers and texts, but I find it really well written and has a good flow to its reading, some parts as with many scholarly works can be quite tedious and austere reading but the general context to the book is very good, I think some advaitists may find some good material in this.

The Collection of Teachings By Ajahn Chah

Its a book that is transcribed Dharma talks by the Venerable Ajahn Chah that never fails to impress me with his simple but profound way of talking.

Vasisthas Yoga By Swami Venkatesananda

This book was recently recommended to me, so far I am on chapter 2, I read chapter 1 very slowly and carefully, its so powerful, what can I say, its an amazing piece of literature.

Bhagavad Gita by Oxford press

It is just the verses but still a good translation, I was more interested to see how the mighty Oxford university would deal with Bhagavad Gita, and its very handy size that one can take around if going out.

Ethics in the Mahabharata A philosophical inquiry for today
    By Sitansu S. Chakravarti. I won this on a ebay auction for just 99 pence

It just came this morning. This is also a great book, while it is quite scholarly in parts, the eb and flow is very profound and easy to read, it will suite the beginner and also the more advanced student of Mahabharata. This book actually promted me to start this post, and after I finish my bits of work I am excited to carry on reading it later tonight. It blends eastern and western concepts without diverting from the true essence of Mahabharata.

Avadhuta Gita Of Dattareya By Swami Ashokananada

While this topic is way above my level I still consider it an master piece, its so beautifully expressed, it has both Sanskrit and English verse with the odd commentary here and there.

I am also reading and doing some comparative studies on Bhagavad Gita, Srila Prabhupadas and Srila Narayana Swami's and one online edition that gives commentary's of from 4 Vaishnava schools.

This book will arrive soon. One: Essential Writings on Nonduality Jerry Katz I won it on an ebay auction for 99pence

I have a couple of versions of Mahabharata, but I am waiting on my first edition of the first set of four books by Kisari Mohan Ganguli, very excited for this book to arrive.

I have a few other books that I read through for reference or at the spur of the moment. I usually read about 10 books at a time, I have always been like that, it suites me and I seem to learn well from reading in this way, so please no comments to say I should read only one book at a time or just from one school, as it will fall on deaf ears . I am always interested in what other people read and and what its about briefly. Maybe some good conversations can come from it.

Ys

Md
    Namaste Ji,

In it nice to know that you read literature of so many schools and there is nothing wrong with it but I am curious to know which one you actually follow as most of the books you study have contradicting theories?

Of all the books you mentioned the only one I've read is the Vissudhimagga,that too a few abridged chapters that were translated into my mother tongue.The translator was a Sanskrit/Pali scholar but found the work so difficult that he said he abandoned it after completing a few pages.The only translation out there is an old one by a monk based on his study notes.It would be better if there is a proper translation with a detailed commentary.I liked some of the meditation techniques in it but there were(are) no 'real' monks in the place I stay to teach it.Anyways,the last I referred to the VM was long ago.I have a book by Ajahn Chah.

I used to read a lot of books for learning about ancient religious history,especially about early Buddhism.What is disturbing is that a good number of famous historians are inherently biased and anti-Hindu.There is a lot of speculation and invention of ridiculous theories with out proper reasoning.

Now,I rarely open the Buddhist books I have but I always appreciate some wise teachings I learnt from the subversive Sramana Gautama.(Most Buddhist scriptures/ideas were changed/interpolated to suit agendas of different periods/people yet hidden here and there one can find the historical man's words)

At the moment,I am not sure what school I should follow and many members here advised me not to get stuck to labels without doing a systematic study.So,I will spend the coming year delving into the school I like.I wish to get some good literature too and I'll make a post about that once I buy.

Thanks for starting this good thread.
    +1

http://hinduonline.co/DigitalLibrary...yanandaEng.pdf

---> Swami Dayananda Saraswati's introduction to Vedanta.

Ashtavakra Gita:
    http://www.amazon.in/Discourses-Asta.../dp/8175970626

---> Swami Chinmayananda

http://www.amazon.in/Path-White-Clou...inhydr18418-21

--> Tatch Nhat Hanh

There are some excellent books ... we can go on listing like this !!

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Pranams Ram11 Ji,

For me a broad study has always be more helpful, and does not lead me into confusion. In some ways it has also fitted into my lifestyle that I followed for many years, I am fairly well traveled about 40 countries to date, although the last 5 years I have been stationed in the UK. But I have remained the same in reading as much information on all aspects of spiritual life as possible, it does not faze me, that's my journey. But at the same time if a person is peaceful and non aggressive in their own practice, then I admire them and will learn from them.

When one travels one gets to see and experience different cultures and beliefs and one is almost forced to consider others peoples POV, and when they speak their POV based on their cultural settings and conditional environment one can understand it much better.

Thats is not to say that everyone is perfectly right, but some essence of what they say resonates in truth, we cannot localize the Supreme.

I agree with what you say about Buddhism, and there are many versions of Buddhism, but context is always very important to understand. Some are in some ways anti vedic in a sense, some may even be anti Hindu to a degree, I can also see why it is considered Atheistic and denies a soul, but there are also reasons for this. If we see that Buddhism as a practice is mainly dealing with the defilement or the Klesha then we have understood Buddhism in a nutshell and all other things are just details. The kalama sutra is perhaps one of the most important texts. When Sri Buddha Muni entered the village of the Kalamas, the people questioned what his philosophy was, as there were many other teachings passing through claiming all sorts of absolute truths and siddhantas, the soul is eternal, there is no God, there is no soul that survives death and so on and so forth. Sri Buddha Muni remained equipoised and simplified it, if a teaching is ridding one from greed hatred and ignorance then its a valid teaching.

In the metaphysical analysis God, a word that I am not to fond or, so let us say the Supreme, who is both phenomenal and surpamundane, and we share these same qualities and it is manifest everywhere and within everything, if we put that Supreme in a box then we limit it by our intelligence and then we also live in that Box.

I have also learned an ability to see who is scholar and who is a sincere practitioner, Scholars cause confusion because many a time they dont practice and usually have an objective view and many are not trying to purify their existence within the process of study, so they are foolish and make next to no advancement, even if they sound very smart and letters and honours after their names. But there also at the same time great giants of intellect and Shastric knowledge who have the most profound depths, because they are Bhaktas or deeply practicing what they study.

In the final analysis I agree with the Bhakti View, and no practice can be made successful without the practice of Bhakti, but Bhakti is supported in the beginning by other forms of yoga, namley karma and niskamkarma yoga, Yoga is an exact science. It aims at the harmonious development of body, mind and soul. Everyone should follow one Yoga as their primary Yoga (based on their character).

So the best thing is to feel what is working for oneself, bring that home and make it profound.

I enjoy reading many views, but it does not mean that I accept everything that I read, and I also go for long periods without reading. For example I read Brahma Sutras and tripitaka intensively about 20 years ago, and to this day some things are slowly coming into the right view, so there is something beyond the books, and there is a natural vibration of consciousness or awareness that contains everything in its right place. I am still new, have many faults and and am seeking according the best of my abilities, I am also willing to scrap everything, tear everything I know up into shreds and start again from the beginning.

I hope this is more clear

Ys

Md
    Last edited by markandeya 108 dasa; 31 January 2015 at 01:15 PM.

Namaste Markandeya Dasaji,

Hmm.
    I think since you have traveled a lot and seen many cultures and its people,you have realized that the world is full of diversity.Probably,that is why you are be eclectic in your choice of books,maybe that is why you see beauty in differences as well as in similarities and learn from them.It is nice to know that you are able to process so much stuff.
    Last edited by Ram11; 11 December 2014 at 08:13 PM.

Thread Information