Thread: Luangta Maha Bua

Hybrid View

Luangta Maha Bua

Pranams,

While I enjoy the vast and great literature's of Dharma my main insterest is understanding the mind of sadhu or the self realized and wise ones. The last few days I have been going through this video in stages.

Venerable Ajahn Bua is a worth while study, as previous posts have indicated that he does in fact talk about an eternal self in the same way as is described in Vedanta. Perhaps only style and language and technique differ.

Bua sees the essential enduring truth of the sentient being as constituted of the indestructible reality of the citta (heart/mind), which is characterized by the attribute of Awareness or Knowingness. This citta, which is intrinsically bright, clear, and Aware, gets superficially tangled up in samsara but ultimately cannot be destroyed by any samsaric phenomenon. Although Bua is often at pains to emphasise the need for meditation upon the non-Self (anatta), he also points out that the citta, while getting caught up in the vortex of conditioned phenomena, is not subject to destruction as are those things which are impermanent, suffering, and non-Self (anicca, dukkha, anatta). The citta is ultimately not beholden to these laws of conditioned existence. The citta is bright, radiant, and deathless, and is its own independent reality:
    Ring any bells

This is in vast contrast to many who perceive Buddhism as some sort of voidist practice and anti vedic, the whole issue is very complex due to Scholars and other forms of sectarianism and the re-establishing of the Dharma at certain points in History, where the Dharma had again fallen into decline.

The video I am posting is certainly heart wrenching and I for one can only see him as valid and true and there is nothing fake or artificial about this. I don't like to look at the computer for to long and prefer short visits so I have watched it in stages, but it has left a lasting impression within me.

One thing for me here in the study of what I term as the sadhus mind or conscious being is that they are very human, but it is a supra-mundane state of being. I had for quite some this false notion of transcendence as something that has no feeling towards towards this world, the state was supra-mundane that all sense of any human emotion was absent.

If one has time please go through this, I feel it is very important. I read a site a few months back and I cant find it ( need to learn to bookmark) but it was telling the story of Sri Buddha Muni post enlightenment and how he walked around from village to village teaching and helping people, and all classes of people, from Brahmins to outcast, he made no such division, the teachings were for all, he never was aloof and holy but was the full potential of human being acting in an enlightened way. Many images of Sri Buddha Muni is now one of a person always absorbed in deep meditation, he is aesthetically beautiful ( not that I have a problem with this ) , but in fact while he had this mastery he only did meditation as a means to teach others, he did not need to meditate himself. There is further evidence of no need for mediation in the final stage. Avadhuta Gita Chp 1 V 26. I think these reflections can help us with the all important culture of humility, wisdom and compassion. And that there is nothing like false pride to be included within the path of self realization, we are after all only picking ourself up from a position of ms-identification.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI5TQnYcFn8

Ys

Md
    Last edited by markandeya 108 dasa; 16 December 2014 at 04:37 PM.

Re: Luangta Maha Bua

Pranams

For those who have watched this video there maybe a couple of areas where people maybe confused.

1. Where he talks about the Brahma realms, this is only one aspect of Brahma within the Buddhist context of Brahma Viharas, of the divine abiding, these are the highest stages of mental phenomenal existence, also related to compassion for sentient beings. What Dharma he speaks of is something that points even beyond this. I d not equate this fully with the Brahman it is finest essence. Perhaps advanced devotees of advatia can understand this, where pure transcendence has no utterance within the material realms.

2. Some may also see his willingness to accept gold. Below is the reason why. He is from one the highest and most respected sanghas in Thailand generating from Ajahn Mun, they are by tradition forest and cave dwellers, and past stories of Ajahn Mun was that he was so ferocious in his samadhis powers that people would not dare to go near him at times, not a person who one could waste his time with for chit chat. I heard recently that the rishis were also of the same nature, and one could not even question the rishi, unless of course one was also a rishi. True Sadhu's I firmly believe are beyond reproach and act in ways that we cannot fully understand or measure.

The below story is how Ajahn Bua entered back into the market place to save his country from utter collapse, such is the power of the sadhu.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...-Maha-Bua.html

Ys

Md

Hello, when I was interested in Theravada Buddhism I found no sense in the idea that the ultimate truth (Parinibbana) is just nothingness. Actually, the teachings of Ajahn Maha Bua led me to Advaita Vedanta.

Here is something written by Maha boowa's
    disciple Ajahn Martin Piyadhammo:
    "The citta is eternal. Just remember what the Lord
    Buddha said, the Thatagata
    after dead neither is nor is not. The citta is not
    individualistic, not personal. How could the Lord
    Buddha talk to Acharn Mun presenting Dhamma
    to him in the form of the Lord Buddha, if there is nothing that is eternal and everything dies away?
    We grasp the term citta wrongly, we think every
    being has a citta, no that is not right, every being
    is part of that one citta, that is eternal. This would
    be the correct view."

Pranams ale84

I always consider in religion there are two types of people, the majority are literalistic, who only see black and white, and the introspects and who see shades of grey and read between the lines.

In the first place we must keep in mind the fact that man is never literal in the expression of his ideas, except in matters most trivial

Rabindranath Tagore

Ys

Md

Namaskar,

Markandeya, I am just like you, I have to watch things on the computer in segments because I can't stay on it too long. However, I simply could not pull away from this talk; I watched the entire thing in one sitting. I can't express how grateful I am for this video. If I may, let me humbly add my input...

I had a similar experience to what Luangta Maha Bua had. During meditation I saw and felt the same radiant "nucleus" of light that he described. In fact, his description of the experience was actually so spot on to mine that I know, deep down, we must have been tapping into the very same thing. Well, upon having this experience I became very excited! I felt like I had truly witnessed something great! I jumped for joy thinking to myself, "Wow, I'm really making progress!" But this reaction of mine lacked true understanding and wisdom. And in the core of my being, I could feel this, but there was no way to put it into words or thoughts for that matter. So for a few days I questioned whether the experience was a good one or a bad one. It was truly so inexplicable that I really couldn't make sense of the matter either way. I knew that a greater understanding of the situation could be found, but I was yet to discover it. All I knew was that the experience was powerful and unforgettable.

Alas, I came across this video of Luangta Maha Bua here on Hindu Dharma Forums. And after watching this video I can now say that I understand. Not only to I understand the experience I had, but I now understand Dhamma. And now there is really nothing left within my being except silence and gratitude. Much gratitude toward Luangta Maha Bua for showing me the truth, and much gratitude to you, Markandeya, for sharing this video that I needed to watch.

Pranam,
    LightOfOm
    ॐ मृत्युंजयाय रुद्राय नीलकण्ठाय शम्भवे l
    अमृतेशाय शर्वाय महादेवाय ते नम: ll

Sanātana Dharma Worldwide

Namaskar,

This video also reminded me of a few things I would like to share:

“He who perceives inaction in action, and action in inaction, is wise among men; he is steadfast in yoga while performing all actions.

He who has excluded desire and motive from all his undertakings, and has consumed his karma in the fire of knowledge, him the wise men call a sage.

He who has abandoned all attachment to the fruits of action, always content, not dependent, even when performing action, does not do anything whatever.

Performing action with the body alone, without wish, restrained[controlled] in thought [mind] and self, with all motives of acquisition abandoned, he incurs no evil.

Content with whatever spontaneously comes to him, transcending the dualities [dwandwas: the pairs of opposites], free from envy, the same in success or in failure, even though he acts, he is not bound.

The karma of one who is free from attachment, who is liberated, whose mind is established in knowledge, who does action only as a sacrifice, is wholly dissolved.”

-Śrīmadbhagavadgītā 4:18-23

"In the midst of honor and glory, he lives leisurely, undisturbed..."

-Excerpt from Daodejing 26

And what to say of this?

“Although he may have brilliant prospects to look at, he quietly remains (in his proper place), indifferent to them.”

"Unpleasant things at least have the advantage of causing us to withdraw into ourselves in defense and retain our independence and integrity. But pleasant things draw us outward into identification with them and forgetfulness of our true nature as the Tao. We literally lose ourselves in them. Great and wise, then, is the one who can live in the midst of glamour and glory, untouched and undisturbed by it."

-Abbot George Burke (Swami Nirmalananda Giri)

The Supreme Reality
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2RPpV0p1Hk

Pranam,
    LightOfOm
    ॐ मृत्युंजयाय रुद्राय नीलकण्ठाय शम्भवे l
    अमृतेशाय शर्वाय महादेवाय ते नम: ll

Sanātana Dharma Worldwide

Thread Information