Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanskrit Philosophical Terms Doubts

Sanskrit Philosophical Terms Doubts

Namaste,

In my study I came across some Samskruta words,I googled
    and got the broad meaning.
    I used some of these words frequently but never reflected on their inner meaning.

Could any member explain any of these words with their roots?

1.Svadhyaya
    2.Advaita(one meaning given was 'Dvaita devoid of duality')
    3.Maya vs Mahamaya
    4.Prakriti/Sakthi
    5.Karma/Kriya
    Aprtak Siddhi
    7.Upasana
    8.Veda
    9.Agama,Nigama and Yamala
    10.Purana and Itihasa
    11.Jada(inert?)
    12.Bindu/Vidya
    13.Tadatmya
    14.Taratamya
    15.Svarupa Sakti
    16.Jagat (Suddha/Sattvika Jagat & Asuddha/Prakrita Jagat)
    16.Tirodhana or Tirobhava
    17.Kritya
    18.Sarupa

Thanks.

Re: Sanskrit Philosophical Terms Doubts

May be you can post in Nagari corner sub forum
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    May be you can post in Nagari corner sub forum

Namaste Anirudh Ji,

I tried to post in that forum.I think it is closed now or not permitted.

Namaste Ram11,

I don't claim to be an expert but I can help within my limitations :

1.Svadhyaya = Sva (=Self) + Adhyaya (=Study)= Self Study (of scriptures)

2.Advaita(one meaning given was 'Dvaita devoid of duality') = A (Not) + Dvaita (Two) = Not Two i.e. One alone

3.Maya vs Mahamaya

MAyA = MA (Not) + YA (That is) = That which is not == looks different from what it really is

MahamAyA ==> It is the personified aspect of MAyA but depends upon usage of the term. Mother Goddess is usually referred to as MahamAyA. MahAmAyA is also considered the Power of Brahman/God because MAyA is the power of Brahman. However, in some sects Mother Goddess is also accepted as PurNa Brahman. So, it depends upon usage of the term.

4.Prakriti/Sakthi == Nature = Prakriti is MAyA and is the power of Brahman and therefore is also called "Shakti" means "power"

5.Karma/Kriya = Karma means Action. Kriya means work/action

6. Aprtak Siddhi

Don't know the meaning of the word "Apratak". "Siddhi" is power attained by SAdhak (practitioner) through Tapas e.g. Some may have Siddhi to predict future correctly.

7.Upasana = Upa (Near) + Asana (Sit) but the meaning is "worship"

8.Veda = Comes from the root, "Vid" meaning "Knowledge" == That which contains Knowledge

9.Agama,Nigama and Yamala

=== Not very sure.

10.Purana and Itihasa

===> Purana means "Old/Ancient" ===> These are scriptures with stories of God and teachings there in like Garuda Purana, Shiva Purana, Vishnu Purana etc.

====> Itihasa means "History" ===> Some epics are considered History even though wetsern world has not accepted them as history. RAmAyaNa and MahAbhArata are ItihAsas.

11.Jada(inert?)

===> The whole creation can be divided into two classes == That which has life and that which has not ===> That which has life is called "Chetan" and that which has not is called "Jada"

12.Bindu/Vidya

===> Bindu is "point". Vidya means "knowledge"

13.Tadatmya

===> attaining relationship at the level of soul

14.Taratamya

====> Not sure

15.Svarupa Sakti

===> Svarupa === own form, Shakti = Power

Not sure what it means

16.Jagat (Suddha/Sattvika Jagat & Asuddha/Prakrita Jagat)

===> Jagat means "world". Would like to know what different Jagats are.

16.Tirodhana or Tirobhava

===> Disappear

17.Kritya

===> Action

18.Sarupa

====> Is it SArupya or Svarupa ?

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste devotee Ji,

Thanks Ji.
    The last word was given as Sarupa in the book.
    Some words like Bindu,Vidya,Karma vs Kriya seem to have subtler meanings.

Is it possible to break down the words further?

Namaste Ram,

Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post
    The last word was given as Sarupa in the book.
    Sarupa can be broken as = Sa(With) + Rupa (form) ===> so, it should mean "with form" but I am not sure. We will have to see the context in which this word has been used.

Some words like Bindu,Vidya,Karma vs Kriya seem to have subtler meanings.
    You are right. In fact, many of the words have literal meanings but also have special meanings attached to these.

Is it possible to break down the words further?
    I am not sure about Bindu but other the origin of other words can be provided :

Vidya :

Vidya has come from the word "vid" which means Knowledge. However, Vidya also means practice of JnAna Yoga. Isha Upanishad uses two ways, "Vidya" and Avidya" and in that context "Vidya" has been translated as "path of meditation to attain Self-realisation etc." Vidya also means various Siddhis. You will have to see the context in which this word is used.

Karma literally means "action" and has come from the root, "Kri". Karma has been used in various meanings in various contexts. Karma also means, "Fate", "Deed", "Stored 'punya' and 'Paap' due to past actions" etc.

Kriya

The root of Kriya is "Kri" and Kriya literally means action. However, Kriya has been used in different contexts with different meanings : e.g. "Kriya" is a type of Yoga for activating 7 chakras. "Kriya-Karma" means rituals after death of a person.

"Bindu"

Bindu literally means "Point". However, it also means, "Semen". It also means "Subtle energy travelling upwards to higher centres of consciousness in spine by performing Yoga".

OM

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Ram,

Sarupa can be broken as = Sa(With) + Rupa (form) ===> so, it should mean "with form" but I am not sure. We will have to see the context in which this word has been used.

You are right. In fact, many of the words have literal meanings but also have special meanings attached to these.

I am not sure about Bindu but other the origin of other words can be provided :

Vidya :

Vidya has come from the word "vid" which means Knowledge. However, Vidya also means practice of JnAna Yoga. Isha Upanishad uses two ways, "Vidya" and Avidya" and in that context "Vidya" has been translated as "path of meditation to attain Self-realisation etc." Vidya also means various Siddhis. You will have to see the context in which this word is used.

Karma literally means "action" and has come from the root, "Kri". Karma has been used in various meanings in various contexts. Karma also means, "Fate", "Deed", "Stored 'punya' and 'Paap' due to past actions" etc.

Kriya

The root of Kriya is "Kri" and Kriya literally means action. However, Kriya has been used in different contexts with different meanings : e.g. "Kriya" is a type of Yoga for activating 7 chakras. "Kriya-Karma" means rituals after death of a person.

"Bindu"

Bindu literally means "Point". However, it also means, "Semen". It also means "Subtle energy travelling upwards to higher centres of consciousness in spine by performing Yoga".

OM
    Namaste devotee Ji,

The inner meanings(underlined) you have given fit in the context and the subject I am reading is clearer now.Thanks.

Namaste!
    I know most of this words and their meanings, but devotee ji's post make me more clear so thank you devotee ji for ur answer and thank you ram11 ji for ur question.
    -Pranam
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Namaste,

Could any member help me with meaning and splitting to roots of the following words:

1.Swatantra:
    Means independent,but 'swa+tantra=one's own tantra' as I thought doesn't seem correct,what is the right meaning?
    I read a definition of Tantra somewhere but I forgot it,it was something like "tanoti...iti...",does anybody know this statement and other similar definition statements?

2.Aghochara:
    Not possible to be understood,so 'a-ghochara',how is the word ghochara formed?
    If God is aghochara does it mean 'God can't be known' or 'God can't be adequately described in words'?

3.Ayoni:
    Popular meaning of yoni is organ of birth but is this the earliest/actual/real meaning?
    God is said to be ayoni sambhava/ayonija,what does it mean?

Namaste Ram,

Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post

1.Swatantra:
    Means independent,but 'swa+tantra=one's own tantra' as I thought doesn't seem correct,what is the right meaning?
    I read a definition of Tantra somewhere but I forgot it,it was something like "tanoti...iti...",does anybody know this statement and other similar definition statements?

It means "Independent"/"free". Here "Tantra" is used for "rule" like "Raaj-tantra" for "Ruled by a King". Swatantra means Swa + Tantra ===> Self-ruled.

2.Aghochara:
    Not possible to be understood,so 'a-ghochara',how is the word ghochara formed?
    If God is aghochara does it mean 'God can't be known' or 'God can't be adequately described in words'?
    Agochar == A (Not) + gochar (which can be seen/perceived) ===> Who cannot be seen.

3.Ayoni:
    [SIZE=3]Popular meaning of yoni is organ of birth but is this the earliest/actual/real meaning?
    God is said to be ayoni sambhava/ayonija,what does it mean?
    "Yoni" means female-organ from which a child takes birth. It also means "species" like "Manushya Yoni" meaning "human birth".

"Ayoni" means "unborn". It is not "Sambhava" but "Swayambhu" meaning "Who came into being on his own" (without a mother or father). "Ayonija" == A (Not) + Yoni (female reproductive organ) + Ja (born) ===> Not born through the female reproductive organ

OM

Thread Information