Thread: Mukkoti Ekadasi is January 1 2015

Mukkoti Ekadasi is January 1 2015

Mukkoti Ekadasi, dedicated to Bhagvan Srihari Vishnu, is popularly known as Vaikunta Ekadashi in South India. In 2015, the date of Mukkoti Ekadasi is January 1.

http://www.hindu-blog.com/2008/12/mu...dashi.html?m=1
    Anirudh...

Re: Mukkoti Ekadasi is January 1 2015

Pranams Anirudh,

On my calendar we also have Ekadasi but it is called putrada ekadashi, it is also in Honour of Sri Vishnu. It falls on December 31st New Years Eve here in UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shravana_Putrada_Ekadashi

Are they one and the same thing or different

Ys

Md

Quote Originally Posted by markandeya 108 dasa View Post
    Pranams Anirudh,

On my calendar we also have Ekadasi but it is called putrada ekadashi, it is also in Honour of Sri Vishnu. It falls on December 31st New Years Eve here in UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shravana_Putrada_Ekadashi

Are they one and the same thing or different

Ys

Md
    Namaste Markandeya Dasa ji

Southerners in general (especially Sri Vaishnavas) celebrate it as Vaikunta Ekadasi.

I asked a Sri Vaishnava in the mutt I visit. He said, Vaikunta Ekadasi is based on the information available in Vaishnava Purana. Pausha Putrada Ekadasi is based on the non Vaishnava Purana.

I don't know anything beyond that. Other members can share tell us more about it.
    Anirudh...

Pranams Anirudh Ji

Thank you for your answer, as far I can research online there are 2

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shraavana

and

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhavishya_Purana putrada ekadashi is taken from this purana, it is written by Veda Vyasa, so maybe the 2 are mixed up or perhaps it could be a rejecting of anything within Gaudia Vaishnavism

But I will follow the fast anyway as per usual and will do a 2 day fast in observation of the your ekadasi also

Ys

Md

While your hear Anirudh Ji, what is your exact sampradya that you follow, is it Sri Sampradaya. I have to research some more but I have conflicting stories on the identity of Srila Veda Vyasa, some say he is the literary incarnation of Bhagavan Sri Vishnu a plenary empowered avatara for the compiling of the Vedas and I have heard that He is non different To Bhagavan Sri Narayana Himself.

Quote Originally Posted by markandeya 108 dasa View Post
    But I will follow the fast anyway as per usual and will do a 2 day fast in observation of the your ekadasi also
    Why? It is the same ekadashi, and it is very normal and typical that the ekadashi tithi falls a day earlier in the Western hemisphere.

Just break the fast the next day acc. to your Gaurabdha calendar. No fasting on your dvadashi.

Also. in addition to the longitude difference across the world, there is a

a) smArta ekAdashi
    b) bhAgvati ekAdashi

we follow the latter. While they coincide 99 % of the times, sometimes they fall on 2 consequetive days.

--

Vedavyas being a plenary portion of VishNu is from VishNu purAN.

Hare KRshNa
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Pranams smaranam Ji,

Yes you are right, but I do like to take opportunities to follow observance days, and from a material point of view I do not like to eat so many grains, so it spurs me on to eat less grains on Ekadasi's. Plus it will be a good way to start the New Year, which I think is a good time of year to make a fresh start on some things. For both these observance days to fall on both New Years Eve and New Years day looks like a good omen to make the year 2015 an auspicious one for Vaishnavas and all other Sadhaka's.

Ys

Md

Thread Information