Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reconversion

Reconversion

Vannakkam:

Reconversion is in the news. The anti-Hindu press is accusing social groups like RSS with the usual ... fundamentalist, extreme, etc.

But it's trending all around India. Various groups are offering the service to any converted Hindus to come back from the foreign faiths. This recent article pretty much sums up the RSS take. http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle6732399.ece

Not actively proselytizing or anything like that, but making it known that we'll welcome you back if you have a change of heart.

Accusations of it being a recent phenomena are also not true. Madan Mohan Malavidya, an early century reformer spoke of it in 1923.

Personally, I welcome the idea wholeheartedly. It seems there's something new on it almost daily.

more ... http://gulfnews.com/news/world/india...-day-1.1431839

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Reconversion

Namaste EM ji,

I've been following this phenomenon of ghar wapsi ("homecoming" or "return home") with interest. There are so many things about this that seem right to me:

It invites and empowers individuals to return to their ancestral religion, if they so choose, as should be their right.

It helps to remedy the wrong of past conversions by invaders through force, threats, bribes, and slander.

It helps to preserve the traditions of Sanātana Dharma, the Eternal Truth, in India in the face of daily conversions by adherents of foreign religions, conversions which at least some of the time reportedly involve slandering Hindu deities and misrepresenting Hindu practices.

It amazes me that there is such a controversy over this, especially since the outcry seems to be solely directed at welcoming people back to the Dharma and not at deceptive conversions by some adherents of certain foreign religions. Certain groups are even demanding that PM Modi denounce ghar wapsi. (Naturally, he is ignoring them.) It seems that some groups feel threatened, worrying that they might not be able to hold on to their gains within the Indian population.

Of course, these are just my impressions looking in from outside of the Indian nation.

bhārat mātā ki jai

praṇām
    Last edited by anucarh; 28 December 2014 at 08:37 PM. Reason: added the words "and misrepresenting Hindu" to correct a sentence
    śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Vannakkam anucarh: I find it truly inspiring. It may well be the most effective way to win the war against conversion. This story shows how we're helping our Sikh brothers and sisters return as well. Each day I search on the stories, and each day it seems there are more. Each on their own volition too.

http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...ell-sad-fumes/

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

The Indian press is super critical of any move made by Hindus. Besides it helps to sell copies to turn everything into a controversy. Although the current phase consists of token re-conversions compared to the number of people who left Hinduism, some day it might have the snow ball effect of mass re-conversions. That is what must be worrying the Xitians and muslims.

On a side note, BJP has claimed to be the party with most legislators as six out of seven independents have thrown their support behind it, and would like to form the state Govt. in J&K with a Hindu Chief Minister. Some other parties who would like to get on their bandwagon have balked just at that point. These self declared secularists can't accept a Hindu Chief Minister. What a farce!

Pranam.

Namaste EM,

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Personally, I welcome the idea wholeheartedly. It seems there's something new on it almost daily.
    If you were in India you could have been branded as hardcore fundamentalist by the so-called secular political agencies working in India !

However, I feel it is more of noise than actual work. It is not RSS but VHP (Vishva Hindu Parishad) and Bajrang Dal who are involved in such conversions. The Christians are converting Hindus in thousands every year in India and there is no noise from any corner (though now people are becoming more vigilant). This has been done in such large scale that in many states in North-East and in greater part of Kerala, Christian population has overtaken the population of Hindus !

I somewhere feel that Hindus themselves are guilty of such conversions (from Hindu to others). In my opinion, the issues and action required are :

a) Bane of discrimination on the basis of caste-system. Children should be taught how caste-system has damaged our society and how Varna-system is not the same as caste--system.
    b) Poverty among the large number of tribals and lower caste-people and more affluent Hindus not doing enough for them. Christian Missionaries do a lot of work for upliftment of such people. To counter them, we have to develop dedicated organisations so that the gap is filled.
    c) Lack of any institution which inculcates the feeling of pride for being a Hindu. The past history of the Hindus have been badly mutilated by the western writers and lackadaisical approach of the Hindu historians. We must set right the records and that should be taught to our children.
    d) There should be no shame in teaching the high philosophy of VedAnta to children in school. People like Zakir Naik have done a lot of damage by spreading canard on Hindu Dharma. Hindus also should have some machinery which could show the best part of our religion to people.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Exclamation Re: Reconversion

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

The Indian press is super critical of any move made by Hindus. Besides it helps to sell copies to turn everything into a controversy. Although the current phase consists of token re-conversions compared to the number of people who left Hinduism, some day it might have the snow ball effect of mass re-conversions. That is what must be worrying the Xitians and muslims.

On a side note, BJP has claimed to be the party with most legislators as six out of seven independents have thrown their support behind it, and would like to form the state Govt. in J&K with a Hindu Chief Minister. Some other parties who would like to get on their bandwagon have balked just at that point. These self declared secularists can't accept a Hindu Chief Minister. What a farce!

Pranam.
    More than these activities if Non Secular Fundamentalists like BJP and ideologically similar parties :-) can disclose the TRUE History of Godse to Indian masses, these Snow white Xtian Converters and Peace loving Jihadhis will keep quite. Did you read this?

m.timesofindia.com/city/agra/Give-SC-certificate-or-1-5-lakh-will-turn-Christians-warn-Dhangars/articleshow/45680315.cms
    If caste certificates are not why should they convert ? And which Snow white angel is behind this. It blasphemy to talk about Hindu rights in Hindu Rashtra :-(
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste EM,

If you were in India you could have been branded as hardcore fundamentalist by the so-called secular political agencies working in India !
    Vannakkam: The press here is nasty as well. Modi was once refused a US Visa, remember?

The adjectives used regularly continue to amaze me. paramilitary, extreme, self-serving, etc. Fundamentalist always.

I agree that we've failed ourselves to a large degree, but with knowledge eventually comes action. In other areas on the planet where invasions occurred, the indigenous were totally wiped out, nothing left at all, as they didn't realize what was happening until it was too late.

So it's all good.

BTW, I thought this was a good essay on what fundamentalism actually is. http://tamaraalom.wordpress.com/hind...does-it-exist/

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Madan Mohan Malviya, a Hindu educator, is mentioned in the OP - and there lies the core of the issue imo. While bringing people back in the Hindu fold is all good, and builds up the cushion, the important point is : what next?

Why would anyone want to come back to Hinduism, particularly in India? "Conscience" is a very academic word, so better not talk about that. Monetary benefit wise also Hindus are no match to the evangelical money-rush from Germany or Dubai. So, what could it be?

The answer is, education. With basic education in India in total tatters, Hinduism is what can provide some real education: intelligence, uprightness, loyalty to nation, and most of all- the ability to survive.

Therefore, Hindus have to come together in building a robust basic level education infrastructure - which can be in pockets to start with - that enables people to be able to do something, to create something. Because that is the key to survival, and that is what the people are looking for.

On the other hand, the governments of India misdirected its energies in creating elite higher level education infrastructure in the country. From my first hand experience, I can tell confidently that these institutions are churning out junk year after year. India, after everything said and done, still remains a third world country : sustenance of Dharma until now is therefore nothing short of a miracle - but in near future we don't know, what future holds for the "eternal" Dharma.

KT
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

I think Ghar Wapasi or reconversion, or whatever term you would want to use for it, is purely a good idea. The depth of connection we Hindus can feel with our history and the Indian civilizations of the past cannot be replicated when you practice a religion that was brought by foreigners to India at a particular point in history. Not only with Hinduism, but I would support any similar movement in Europe away from Christianity back to the original Pagan faiths of the Celts, Vikings, Greeks, Romans, etc. in the particular areas where their descendants live.

Namaskar Ji,

This thread is very heartening. Of course those that see the beginnings of the balance of power starting to shift will try to malign it. Hopefully there has been enough of a shift that it has it's own momentum and cannot be stopped by such tactics.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArjunAchary4 View Post
    Not only with Hinduism, but I would support any similar movement in Europe away from Christianity back to the original Pagan faiths of the Celts, Vikings, Greeks, Romans, etc. in the particular areas where their descendants live.
    It would be nice ArjunAcharyaji, but not possible. Might as well say Native American Cultures could hopefully reconvert back to theirs too. These cultures and faiths, and their customs and often their languages have been utterly destroyed by the Christians, there is not enough left to piece together in order to find something coherent to return to. A few have managed to hold on to a little, but it's not enough to really revive anything. Some have tried anyway, but what they've managed to create are pale, pale shadows heavily adulterated with Abrahamic influence. My own theory is this is no accident, nor is the fact that Bharat Mata and Dharma have survived where others could not. Eventually, at the end of the Yuga, all People must be united again after all.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Thread Information