Thread: Ganesh Chaturthi

Ganesh Chaturthi

I just left a new years puja dedicated to Lord Ganesh. However I could not get the name of it correctly. Is it called Chaturthi on new year's day or is that only during the month of Bhaadrapada? I have looked on the web in order to prevent asking a weird question but can not locate an extensive answer.

We said prayers and had a fire ceremony in which (as it was explained to me afterwards), we were to toss our troubles and hopes for the new year into the flames.

The entire ceremony was in Hindi so I am not really sure what specifically happened. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Aum Namah Siva

Re: Ganesh Chaturthi

Namaste Mystical Soul,

As far as I can guess from your description, the puja was tailor made for the congregation at your mandir for the new year's day. Since there is not a Hindu festival on Jan 1, it appears to be a special event designed to get people to come to the mandir on their day off and 'toss their troubles and hopes' into the ceremonial fire. One of the mandirs in my area also has something similar, and it is scheduled merely to get people to come to the mandir for an extra puja and to socialize after the puja. Hope that helps.

Pranam.

PS, In the West, many events are organized with the idea of getting the senior citizens and lonely people to come to the mandir to have some company and socialize. Of course a general puja becomes the centerpiece of such events. It is like the retirees without extended families heading out to Vegas on Thanksgiving and on Xmas.
    Last edited by Believer; 12 January 2015 at 08:39 PM.

Namaste,

There are special days to worship Sri Ganesha but there is no rule that Ganesha has to be worshiped only on those days.Ganapati is worshiped in temples throughout the year.If the temple is a huge one like the ancient ones in India,homa is performed every day and some conduct grand festivals at the request of devotees.

For example,in most temples Brahmotsava is conducted only once or twice a year.Brahmotsava is usually a 9-10 days festival,on each day the deity is mounted on a different vehicle(Vahana) and is taken in a procession.But in Tirumala Tirupati Temple of Lord Sri Venkateshwara Swamy, Vahana Seva is conducted on daily basis at the request of devotees who can not attend the annual festivals.It is called Arjita Seva as the devotee provides materials/money required to conduct it.

So is doesn't make any difference whether it is January 1st or other day as some rituals can be performed on any day.The Panditas(Priests) make sure to conduct Pujas on auspicious times only.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste Ram11,

Thank you for the valuable input. It is good to know how some temples in India conduct 'Vahana Seva' on any day of the year for devotees who cannot come to the mandir on the festival days.

Pranam.

Namaste

In addition to a temple having its own 'New Year celebration' with some form of Utsav, very few people are aware of Ganesh Jayanti which falls typically sometime in January. This is the appearance day of Lord GaNesh. Not to be confused with Ganesh Chaturthi (in Bhadrapad).

Some people also assume that Ganesh Chaturthi is the appearance day of GaNesh, which is not so, it is Ganesh Jayanti. Since this Jayanti is not popular as a community celebration, not much is known about it. For many people (and for many temples also), it just comes and goes.

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Namaste,

This is all interesting information but there are no Hindu festivals tied to Jan 1 of the Xitian calender. In US, we force a havan (fire ceremony) and a puja on this day for the sole purpose of getting people to come to the mandir on their day off from work and do some additional puja as well do some socializing. I was trying to point out that some celebrations/pujas are invented just because. It is not an ancient practice, it is not guided by the Hindu calender or by any other religious or social norm. It is an exclusive Western practice among Hindus, invented to do something positive and not feel left out on a Xitian holiday. Some of the members don't comprehend the need of Hindu senior citizens in North America to get out of the house to keep their sanity. A mandir is neutral ground which is visited without any obligation or expectation. Every visit to the mandir does not have to be tied to a formal religious event. Many seniors visit the mandir to break up the monotony of the day and to visit with others in the same boat. Conducting a puja on this day adds another dimension to the mandir visit and makes it more purposeful.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

I was trying to point out that some celebrations/pujas are invented just because. It is not an ancient practice, it is not guided by the Hindu calender or by any other religious or social norm. It is an exclusive Western practice among Hindus, invented to do something positive.

Pranam.
    Namaste Ji,

I agree with what you say.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Namaste

In addition to a temple having its own 'New Year celebration' with some form of Utsav, very few people are aware of Ganesh Jayanti which falls typically sometime in January. This is the appearance day of Lord GaNesh. Not to be confused with Ganesh Chaturthi (in Bhadrapad).

Some people also assume that Ganesh Chaturthi is the appearance day of GaNesh, which is not so, it is Ganesh Jayanti. Since this Jayanti is not popular as a community celebration, not much is known about it. For many people (and for many temples also), it just comes and goes.

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya
    Namaste Smaranam Thanks for your response. I got a calendar from my temple and accordingly, Ganesh Jayanti falls on 23 Jan this year. On the other hand, I notice that there is nothing for Jan 1 except New Years Day. So, I guess Believer must be on to something . At any rate I am glad the temple did that. It was VERY well attended and I along with most others got a lot out of it.

May you have a wonderful new year full of blessings and peace.

Aum

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste Mystical Soul,

As far as I can guess from your description, the puja was tailor made for the congregation at your mandir for the new year's day. Since there is not a Hindu festival on Jan 1, it appears to be a special event designed to get people to come to the mandir on their day off and 'toss their troubles and hopes' into the ceremonial fire. One of the mandirs in my area also has something similar, and it is scheduled merely to get people to come to the mandir for an extra puja and to socialize after the puja. Hope that helps.

Pranam.

PS, In the West, many events are organized with the idea of getting the senior citizens and lonely people to come to the mandir to have some company and socialize. Of course a general puja becomes the centerpiece of such events. It is like the retirees without extended families heading out to Vegas on Thanksgiving and on Xmas.
    Namaste Believer, Thanks for your response. I got a calendar from my temple and accordingly, Ganesh Jayanti falls on 23 Jan this year. On the other hand, I notice that there is nothing for Jan 1 except New Years Day. So, I guess you must be onto something . At any rate I am glad the temple did that. It was VERY well attended and I along with most others got a lot out of it.

May you have a wonderful new year full of blessings and peace.

Aum

Ganesh Chaturthi 2016 date is falling on 5th September.

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi to all. Enjoy

Thread Information