Thread: The Highest Mantra

The Highest Mantra

Namaste,

I am a big fan of Sri Ramana Maharshi. What is your opinion on the following passage and of Mararshi in general?

REPEATING THE HIGHEST MANTRA
    If you find the vichara marga [the path of self-enquiry] too hard, you can go on repeating 'I', 'I', and that will lead you to same goal. There is no harm in using 'I' as a mantra. It is the first name of God. (Day by Day with Bhagavan, 8th May 1946)

A housewife who complained that self-enquiry was too hard and that she had no time for meditation received a similar answer:
    If you can do nothing more, at least continue saying 'I', 'I' to yourself all the time, as advised in Who Am I?, whatever you may be doing, and whether you are sitting, standing or walking, 'I' is the name of God. It is the first and greatest of all mantras.

(Day by Day with Bhagavan, 28th June 1946)

Re: The Highest Mantra

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    If you can do nothing more, at least continue saying 'I', 'I' to yourself all the time, as advised in Who Am I?, whatever you may be doing, and whether you are sitting, standing or walking, 'I' is the name of God. It is the first and greatest of all mantras.
    Greetings,

Saying 'I', 'I' sounds not very different from Nisargadatta's practice of saying 'I am'.

I'm also deeply grateful to Ramana Maharshi and think he's an exceptionally pure soul we're blessed to know of.

For myself, I've found the phrase "Who is?" a helpful, nondual simplification of "Who am I?", also "God is" as a substitution for "I am" seems to help me focus on the source rather than the ego. Also focusing on the thought "oneness" (nonduality) itself, and others such as "zero" and "infinity", and "surrender" and "service" is helpful for me.

I think it's basically about being aligned with the source, our intuition and conscience, each moment.

I write about this and more on this page of my site: https://sites.google.com/site/jmaf6556/purpose-of-life

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

the highest mantra is the silence of SELF...

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information