Thread: Commentaries on the Vedas

Commentaries on the Vedas

Namaste,

Would someone be kind of enough to link their favourite commentaries or explorations of the Vedas by a authentic sage or Guru.

I find that personal line by line study of the Vedas is fruitless for a newcomer (especially in English) whom does not know the symbolic significance of the magnificent poetry, as there is no guiding guru, however a commentary may help with more potent study.

Re: Commentaries on the Vedas

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    Namaste,

Would someone be kind of enough to link their favourite commentaries or explorations of the Vedas by a authentic sage or Guru.

I find that personal line by line study of the Vedas is fruitless for a newcomer (especially in English) whom does not know the symbolic significance of the magnificent poetry, as there is no guiding guru, however a commentary may help with more potent study.
    Namaste,

I have not studied the whole Vedas so I can't say much.

But I read commentaries by many Panditas on few hymns I like and most of them are used in temples I visit for conducting daily rituals.

I don't know if one person commented on all the Vedas but whatever Suktams I studied all of them were commented upon by Sri Sayanacharya.(The commentaries are available in printed format but I don't know about online links.)

All traditional Panditas give nearly same meaning but a few explain mantras in quite distinct ways.Some employ Vedantic ideas to explain mantras and some even use Puranic narratives.

And in my personal opinion it always good read at least 5 or more commentaries for a mantra rather than sticking to a single person views.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Thread Information