Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can dancing Ganesha idol be kept at home?

Can dancing Ganesha idol be kept at home?

Namaste,

Today I was reading a blog which was discussing various forms of Ganesha for gifting purposes. In that, it was stated that just like Lord Shiva's dance, Sri Ganesha's dancing form also signifies destruction. If this is correct, can then a dancing form of Ganesha be gifted out and kept at home?

Ref:

"This posture of Lord Ganesha is often related to the dance of destruction. That is why thes idols are hardly seen at homes and offices."

Link: http://blog.orangecarton.com/find-co...-gifting-home/

Thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Can dancing Ganesha idol be kept at home?

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste,

Today I was reading a blog which was discussing various forms of Ganesha for gifting purposes. In that, it was stated that just like Lord Shiva's dance, Sri Ganesha's dancing form also signifies destruction. If this is correct, can then a dancing form of Ganesha be gifted out and kept at home?

Ref:

"This posture of Lord Ganesha is often related to the dance of destruction. That is why thes idols are hardly seen at homes and offices."

Link: http://blog.orangecarton.com/find-co...-gifting-home/

Thanks.
    Namaste Viraja Ji,

There are many types of dances done by Lord Shiva and one of them I know is Aananda Tandava or dance of creation.Destruction in my opinion is not correct rather it is dissolution or absorption of everything into Himself.As you might know, cycles of creation,preservation and dissolution are performed by the Trimurthies.

Performed with joy, the dance is called Ananda Tandava. Performed in a violent mood, the dance is called Rudra Tandava. In the Hindu texts, at least seven types of Tandava are found: Ananda Tandava, Tripura Tandava, Sandhya Tandava, Samhara Tandava, Kali (Kalika) Tandava, Uma Tandava and Gauri Tandava.However, some people believe that there are 16 types of Tandava.

In our home we have a big framed image of dancing Ganesha and Ganapati looks very joyous,it doesn't seem like a destructive dance to me.We have had this image for many years now.I hope this is some kind of misconception.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Vannakkam: I'm nor sure where that site got it's information from, and personally I don't trust sources like that for that kind of information, but I also think there is most likely some truth to it.

Still, we personally don't keep a dancing Ganesha, and i certainly wouldn't have one as the 'active' one in the shrine room. We have a couple of standing ones, but the main ones are all the traditional sitting varieties.

The largest one is the 'greeter' Ganesha near the front door, but we don't do regular puja to Him.

Dancing Ganeshas get things moving. They dance. They're active. Perhaps it accelerates karma, I don't really know. I don't know why, it's just from experience, being around a few varying ones. The sitting ones, as reflected in the posture, are more stable, and the darshan they provide us with is too.

Just my opinion.

Aum Namasivaya

Thank you, Ram and EM ji.

I was browsing some more on different form of Ganesha and found out that astrologer Sanjay Rath actually recommends Ucchista Ganesha (a dancing form of Ganesha) as a remedy for marriage problems.

He says of Ucchista Ganesha (at http://srath.com/spirituality/mala-m...ista-ganesha):

"This is the dancing form of Ganesha and the meditation etc, visualize Ganesha in a rather jovial, compromising mood. Ucchista Ganesha is worshiped to remove domestic disharmony and the relationship with spouse is improved. All sorts of troubles with in-laws etc vanish and the family gets together and lives happily. For the last two decades we have advised the placing of a statue of dancing Ganesha (idol) near the headstand of the bed and the relationship between couples has improved. Marriages which were on the verge of breakdown have smoothed out in a most miraculous manner.

Sit facing east wearing clean clothes with an image or idol of dancing Ganesha in front. Light lamp, incense, offer some sweets and water.
    DhyānaSiddhiVāhanaTantraMeanings
    Click for large image
    Ucchiṣṭa gaṇapati dhyāna (recite once with a flower to offer to Ganesha)

सिन्दूरवर्णसंकाशं योगपट्टसमन्वितं लम्बोदरं महाकायं मुखं करिकरोपमं।
    अणिमादिगुणयुक्तं अष्टबाहुं त्रिलोचनं विजयाविद्युतं लिङ्गं मोक्षकामाय पूजयेत्॥
    sindūravarṇasaṁkāśaṁ yogapaṭṭasamanvitaṁ lambodaraṁ mahākāyaṁ mukhaṁ karikaropamaṁ|
    aṇimādiguṇayuktaṁ aṣṭabāhuṁ trilocanaṁ vijayāvidyutaṁ liṅgaṁ mokṣakāmāya pūjayet||"

So I guess, as Ram said, it is not incorrect or bad to keep a dancing form of Ganesha and as EM ji said, that there is something about dancing Ganesha which is indeed different from the other sitting forms.

Maa Kali is form of destruction, so that is mean we dont worship Her at home because She will destroy our family ?

When we put murti of God and worship it, then they said dont worship at home because He will destroy your family, so let i ask first : "Is our God can't thinking which is good and which is bad ?" Why He move or do something like a robot without thinking first ?

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

I just took this photo about 5 minutes ago. It is not our main shrine in our home, but it is one of the little "temple boxes" my wife maintains, she is a great devotee of Ganesha who is her Ishta Lord. She has a large number of Ganesha murtis, there is also a Ganesha on our main shrine.

I always called this her Dancing Ganesha Lord, but not sure if this is the full/true "dancing" posture but it appears so to me. I believe this murti is quite unique, it was brought here (to the US) from India with her, originally from her Mother as I recall.

Personally, since she knows so much about Ganesha, and since she has this "dancing" murti in our home, I do not think it is an issue at all. Certainly this Ganesha murti in particular has brought much happy life in our home, and children always love this Ganesha.

Now what is interesting is my wife once was very much adamant that it is not allowed to have Nataraj (dancing Shiva) in a HOME but only in a temple. Yet she has dancing Ganesha.

So I too believed it is not correct to have Nataraj in a home shrine. But other Hindus have changed my mind on this....

Quote Originally Posted by Shivafan

So I too believed it is not correct to have Nataraj in a home shrine. But other Hindus have changed my mind on this....
    Namaste,

Interesting. We have several statues of Shiva doing the dance of destruction/creation in our house. In the temple and also as a decorative murti. I have never thought this was ''odd'' since it was there since my childhood. The differing views on this are intriguing to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by shian View Post
    Maa Kali is form of destruction, so that is mean we dont worship Her at home because She will destroy our family ?

When we put murti of God and worship it, then they said dont worship at home because He will destroy your family, so let i ask first : "Is our God can't thinking which is good and which is bad ?" Why He move or do something like a robot without thinking first ?
    'Destruction' in a godly sense may also mean 'destroying the material ties of the aspirant' -- believe me or not, gods in ugra forms are supposed to do that! Not that this means the same as ruining the entire lives of the aspirant, nevertheless this might not be the welcome change to quite some...

Dear ShivaFan ji,

I have also read that Shri Nataraja murti or picture shall not be kept alone. However, what I read is that Sri Nataraja along with Sivakami (Parvathi) Amman picture (as in Thillai/Chidambaram) can be kept at the puja and worshiped.
    Last edited by Viraja; 19 January 2015 at 04:45 PM.

Vannakkam: Nataraja is the core of my shrine, in the middle, and has been for 40 years. In my sampradaya, it is the same for all sishya.

I don't know where the idea came from, but I personally consider the idea of not worshipping Him in this form a superstitious myth.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information