Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hindu Graphic Novels and Comic Books

Re: Hindu Graphic Novels and Comic Books

Quote Originally Posted by anucarh View Post
    Namaste Ram ji,

Thank you for your reply.

> There are forms of Rama with four arms holding both the Chakra and the bow. The two
    > armed form is probably created by an artist.
    > Four Armed Sri SitaRamachandra Swamy,Bhadrachalam.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, Ram ji, and the great picture. I have never seen Lord Rāma like that before. It's a beautiful image. It surprised me because the positions of the śaṇkha (conch) and the cakra (wheel) appear to be reversed (at least from the perspective of the Śrī Vaiṣṇava writings that I've read). I like the image. I'll have to visit Bhadrachalam Temple some day.
    Namaste Anucarh Ji,

I'm happy that you questioned about this.When Gajendra's feet was caught by a crocodile,he prayed to Lord Vishnu to save him.At that time Lord Vishnu was
    in Vaikunta and as soon as he heard the cries of Gajendra he started but without carrying any weapons with him.Seeing the Lord leaving,immediately the weapons followed him and in that hurry to save Gajendra instead of taking the Chakra and Shanka in the usual hands Lord Vishnu caught them in reversed manner.So thus the reversed position and his manifestation here is known as 'Vaikunta Rama'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gajendra_Moksha

In the wiki link you will find info about why the Lord took residence upon Bhadrachalam(Bhadra-Achala)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhadrachalam_Temple

The temple is famous in India because of the Sri SitaRama Kalyana(marriage) of Sri SitaRamachandra Swamy which is being conducted here since many centuries on Sri Rama Navami day.

There was great devotee called Bhadrachala Ramadasa(Gopanna) who renovated the temple in the 17th century and offered precious ornaments to the deities.Ramadasa composed very beautiful Kirtanas on the Lord and in a short time these became very popular in Southern India.(Composers like Saint Sri Tygaraja (one of the Trinity of Carnatic music) praised Bhakta Ramadasa in his works).In his time the Muslim ruler of the then Hyderabad Kingdom was Abdul Hassan Tani Shah,he jailed Ramadasa in Golkonda fort(I saw the jail room(Charasala/Ramadasa Bandhikana) of Sri Ramadasa some years ago,in it you will find the images of the Lord he carved on the walls and used to worship) and later this ruler had the darshan of Lord Rama.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kancherla_Gopanna

Sri Ramadasa's Prison cell in Golkonda Fort:

Tana Shah used to offer Mutyala Talambralu(Pearls) every year for the Kalyana.Since then all successive rulers continued this tradition and today the Chief minister of the State offers Pearls on behalf of the Government.

Talambralu ritual in marriage - (From the net)
    After the most prominent aspect of a marriage the 'Mangalasutra dharana' move on to a very exciting event in the marriage, the pouring of 'Talambralu ' on each other's head by the bride and groom. This is also called as the 'Akshataaroa panam'. 'Akshatah' means unbreakable. Which means the unbreakable bond of Love. 'talan' + 'braalu' meaning that which slide from the head. These could be pearls, or rice coloured yellow by turmeric.

The bride and groom take 'talambraalu' in their cupped hands and reciting the mantras the priest who is presiding over the marriage will let them slide over each other's head for three time. The meaning of the mantras is thus:

'May I have the children of my desire' saying so the bride poures the talambralu on the grooms head.

'May we have happiness, esctasy, joy, bravery. We we enjoy every happiness in a married life.' saying so the groom pours the talambralu over the brides head'

Then the preist recites a mantra:

'The wanderings of the heart of desire, words and truth, may they experience all this together. By their senses, by their food may they prosper and may wealth approach them'. then the bride and groom pour the talambraalu over each other with joy.
    . Initially they take turns to shower the rice, but as time progresses the bride and groom begin to compete with each other, making for an entertaining scene.

My relatives who visited the temple last year said that some ornaments offered by Sri Ramadasa to Lord Ramachandra are displayed inside the temple museum.Also,the Rama Mada coins which Lord Rama himself gave to the ruler Tana Shah are also seen.In this link you can see some of the Jewellery like Kalikitu Rayi(Studded Turban Ornament),Chintaaku Patakam(Tamarind leaves ornament),Mangala Sutra(Tied to a woman during marriage),Pacchala Patakam(Emerald Ornament),Ravvala Molathadu(waist band [worn by all Hindu men]- studded with diamonds),Shanka Chakras and many others.

http://www.bhadrachalarama.org/gold.html

You should certainly visit the Kshetra and also the nearby places which are connected to incidents from the Ramayana.I would advice that you plan well before visiting.

S.M. Srinivasa Chari, in his book Vaiṣṇavism: Its Philosophy, Theology, and Religious Discipline, gives several reasons for the greater importance of Śrī Rāma and Śrī Kṛṣṇa: (1.) they are "perfect ideal human beings symbolizing the very dharma," (2.) they were in the world much longer than brief incarnations like Matsya and Kūrma, (3.) they are pūrṇāvatāras (full incarnations), and (4.) because of the important teachings of the Rāmāyaṇa and the Bhagavad Gītā.

Śrī Madhvācārya had a different teaching about them. According to the wonderful book Bhakti Schools of Vedānta by Svāmī Tapasyānanda (a great source of information about the Vaiṣṇava philosophies of Viśiṣṭādvaita, Dvaitādvaita, Dvaita, Śuddhādvaita, and Acintya-bhedābheda), he taught that "there is no difference" between the incarnations, that they are all "expression[s] of his entire nature," and that "all the divine attributes are residing in all incarnations." It's just that some incarnations manifest fewer attributes depending on the circumstances that require their presence and keep other attributes hidden. For the Brahmā Vaiṣṇavas who follow his teaching of Dvaita or Dualism, it would seem that all incarnations are equal. Śrī Madhvācārya even said that the "Supreme being can be adored in and through" any of them.

I think theoretically Hindus accept that "all incarnations are equal", "Supreme being can be adored in and through any of them" and the 4 points mentioned by SM Srinivasa Chari explain the practical approach of majority of Hindus.
    Last edited by Ram11; 30 March 2015 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Added Ramadasa's Prison Image.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

~~~~~
    Last edited by smaranam; 01 April 2015 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anucarh View Post
    This SItA is so beautiful, truly SItah, peace and beauty personified. The artist has done a great job ~ * ~ (except Sita had black hair, not brown.)
    The other quality of Sita is endurance -- sahansheeltA, tolerance, and forgiveness -- kshamA shown by dhartI mAtA - mother earth from whose bossom She appeared
    Last edited by smaranam; 31 March 2015 at 07:26 AM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Namaste smaranam ji,

> I am very sorry if that sounded too harsh and rude but it was not
    > directed towards you, of course. I trust you would know that it wasn't.

I'm always interested to hear your thoughts, whether they're similar to my own or not. I took no offense. I doubt that you will ever say something that offends me. I understand your objections. I see your reaction as a valid one. It only says good things about you. I can only say that the cover art had a different effect on me.

(I should probably mention, so as not to give the wrong impression, that the cover art is different from the art inside the book. A different pair of artists drew the artwork inside and chose to make the Lord's proportions closer to traditional proportions. The Lord is still portrayed as muscular, as he has sometimes been portrayed elsewhere, but his arms do not look massive, as they do on the cover.)

> This SItA is so beautiful, truly SItah, peace and beauty personified. The artist has
    > done a great job ~ * ~ (except Sita had black hair, not brown.)
    > The other quality of Sita is endurance -- sahansheeltA, tolerance, and forgiveness --

>kshamA shown by dhartI mAtA - mother earth from whose bossom She appeared.

Thank you for sharing these thoughts. I also love that painting. Here is some of the art inside the same book (Sita: Daughter of the Earth) from Campfire. This is King Janaka with the plough and the finding of Sītā Devi in the furrow.

praṇām
    śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaste,
    Thanks for posting these pictures. It brought back a lot of childhood memories...
    Namaste satay ji,

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad that the pictures stirred good memories.

praṇām
    śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Namaste Ram ji,

> I'm happy that you questioned about this. When Gajendra's feet was caught by a crocodile,
    > he prayed to Lord Vishnu to save him.At that time Lord Vishnu was in Vaikunta and as soon
    > as he heard the cries of Gajendra he started but without carrying any weapons with him.
    > Seeing the Lord leaving, immediately the weapons followed him and in that hurry to save
    > Gajendra instead of taking the Chakra and Shanka in the usual hands Lord Vishnu caught
    > them in reversed manner. So thus the reversed position and his manifestation here is known as 'Vaikunta Rama'.

Thank you for this excellent explanation.

> In the wiki link you will find info about why the Lord took residence upon Bhadrachalam(Bhadra-Achala).

I liked the story of Lord Rāma and his devotee very much. It is as Śrī Rāmānujācārya said (in a teaching also found in the Bhagavad Gītā and the Bhāgavata Purāṇa), the Lord deeply loves the devotee who completely depends on him.

> The temple is famous in India because of the Sri SitaRama Kalyana(marriage) of Sri SitaRamachandra Swamy
    > which is being conducted here since many centuries on Sri Rama Navami day.

This must be wonderful to see.

Thank you for all of the photos and the description of the marriage ritual.

> I think theoretically Hindus accept that _*"all incarnations are equal", *__*"Supreme being can be adored in
    > and through any of them*_" and _ *the 4 points*_ mentioned by SM Srinivasa Chari explain the practical
    > approach of majority of Hindus.

I like this combined approach very much.

Thank you for taking the time to share this wealth of information.

praṇām
    śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Thanks for sharing these pages Anucarhji -- appearance of Sita.
    praNAm
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

I'd like to see some of these in the West. What do you think of Graphic India? They did some interesting fiction (The Sadhu; Mistry, P.I., which I've read both) and famous British comic writer Grant Morrison is doing an adaption of The Mahabharata with them called 18 Days, which I'm reading. I wanted to see a more normal version of The Mahabharata but after I started The Sadhu, my local comic shop owner offered me 18 Days #1 and I liked it.

Thread Information