Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The dasavataras of Sri Vishnu calmed down by Lord Shiva question

Re: The dasavataras of Sri Vishnu calmed down by Lord Shiva question

Dear Vrajaji.,

How are you?

Lot of messages here are not questions rather they are strong opinions, desire to build agreements with group and that gets in to unnecessary debates.

What is established need not require another alternative to 'establish' what is established. Stick to this very important point when you learn, ask question as repeating the question unnecessarily sometimes hide the already known answers.

When you look at the sky for heaven, what you already have should not be lost! ( irukaratha vittu parakarathuku aasai padakoodathu).

Hare Krshna!

Honestly, when I raised the question in the OP, I did not have any debate in my mind. I thought it was a straight-forward question to understand this. Also I am not looking to learning anything. I was talking to a Shaiva when I mentioned about having read the info about Lord Shiva taking gigantic avataras to cool down Sri Vishnu and since she did not know about it, raised the OP to find out that post which details it.

I would be very happy to learn the info I requested in the OP. How about Shaivite members here, anyone have the info? How about Omkara?
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Some said Lord Garuda is avatar of Bhagavan Vishnu Himself, anyone can tell us about it ?

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Quote Originally Posted by shian View Post
    Some said Lord Garuda is avatar of Bhagavan Vishnu Himself, anyone can tell us about it ?
    I don't know who I am, nor what I am.
    I don't know what I need to know.
    I don't know who you are, nor what you are.
    All I know is that you love me, Oh Sarvathma.
    Lead me on the righteous path, so that I may reach you.

Light Re: The dasavataras of Sri Vishnu calmed down by Lord Shiva question

The idea that one god is required to calm another god itself is very surprising.
    I've heard that in Ramayana that Parashurama was enraged because Rama had broken the bow of Shiva and came to confront Rama, who was later calmed down by Rama himself, both are the avatars of Vishnu. In another story, Maa Kaali was calmed down by Shiva was laid down in front of her, as though he was a corpse. In both stories, the 2 god entities are seem as the embodiment of the same entity (Rama and Parashurama are one and the same, because they're the avatars of the same god, or Shiva and Shakti are the same entity, as explained by the Shaivaite approach). The problem I see here is that people tend to differentiate Hara and Hari to be 2 different entities, that raises a lot of eyebrows and questions like, "Is this one of those inter-cult fights between Shaivas and Vaishnavas?" Maybe or may not be so. But, if we go back to the statement "Shivasya Hrudayam Vishnuhu, Vishnor Hrudayam Shivaha" or let's go back to the statement "Twam Brahma Twam Vishnu Twam Rudra Twam Prajapathihi" both statements imply, we are dealing with a single god and not many. Or many aspects of the same god.
    There are different versions to the Narasimha cooling down story:
    1 Narasimha cools down by himself listening to the request of Prahlada.
    2 Narasimha is cooled down by Sharabha.
    3 Narasimha is cooled down by Pratyangira Devi released by Sharabha.
    1 indicates "self-control" or "self-calming" of brahma or vishnu or god.
    2 and 3 also indicate "self-control" or "self-calming," because I don't see the gods as different entities. The questions like "Why is Shiva required to calm Vishnu?" arise when one sees them as different entities. I'd like to rephrase the opening statement as "The dasavatars of Sri Vishnu calmed down by himself" There... sounds better doesn't it? I advocate a slight change in perspective is needed here.
    oh.... and god is not an idiot or fool like me or other human beings that need to be calmed by others. He is very wise and has self control. That's right, I'm criticizing myself and I deserve it.

Sometimes, I feel we're just going in circles with some discussions on the HDF.
    I don't know who I am, nor what I am.
    I don't know what I need to know.
    I don't know who you are, nor what you are.
    All I know is that you love me, Oh Sarvathma.
    Lead me on the righteous path, so that I may reach you.

I found the answer to my question today on google search.

http://www.shaivam.org/gallery/image/gma64_p.htm

https://www.facebook.com/Jyotirlinga...14905751855439

1. Kurma Samhara Murthy

2. Varaha Samhara Murthy

3. Matsya Samhara Murthy

To Upsydowny: Merely having curiosity to know an information does not tantamount to 'denigrating' any devata. Infact, suppressing someone from knowing an available information on the grounds that it is tantamount to 'denigration' is so 'Abrahamic like'!!

BTW: It seems there is a sculpture of Sri Kurma Samhara murthy carved in a pillar in Chennai, Kachaleeswarar Temple, TN, India. It seems when done Naivedyam of Vilwa leaves and Sugar pongal on Mondays to this form of Lord Shiva, bestows all goodness.

Hello Virajaji.,

Where from you got this idea someone is suppressing the truth? Its just that either they know or they donno otherwise they don't want you to get distracted and given a wrong information! All three are good for you and telling stories which has no facts or truth behind it is actually going to warrant only controversies which is waste of time. Spreading a story to uphold your 'controversial' belief and enjoying just such is in fact "abrahamic style" so that you distort the truth and also the means to obtain it by fabricated stories or diluted stories.

So, what if such avatars ( like Sharaba) is just an invention to create a parallel popular?

Its not very difficult to invent million Jesus - but no one can save you if they are not what they must be eternally! Of course, we do have zillions of them and thats not a 'gift' to cherish rather it will be nice to settle with just one truth or just truth!

Hare Krshna!

Namaste

Is the OP feeling inferior and is on a mission to establish Shiva as superior?

From the Vaishnava point of view, one can provide many proofs how all deities are the subset of Shreeman Naaraayan and the same can be done Shaiva point of view as well.

Long before a member questioned the existence of Vaikunta with supporting information from a set of scriptures. Thankfully that thread was closed.

If the OP is on a fact finding mission, I have few questions to ask.

#1. What is the intent behind this thread?
    #2. How can virtue turn into evil, if it did, how it can be differentiated from mortal?
    #3. How this question is different from an anti Hindu trolling post that tries to establish Hindu deities as Ghosts?
    #4. What kind value addition we get by reading this post?
    #5. Why an ardent devotee of Shree Narsimha shouldn't get offended after reading this as it doesn't appeal to a Vaishnava?

I humbly suggest members to read these two threads before venturing into these kind of debates because both are exhaustive and quoted from Shree Vedas, the ultimate authority of Sanatana Dharma.

nArAyaNa in the veda-s

Lord Shiva in The Vedas
    Anirudh...

Namaste AvyaydyA ji
    Quote Originally Posted by Avyaydya View Post
    In the Vedas Lord Vishnu is a solar deity (Devas are Suras) and he is likened with the Sun at the Summit, the Sun at its highest point. His palace, his heaven is described as the most beautiful. So I see Lord Vishnu as the brightest of Devas, the brightest of all Shining Ones.

I also think we can take this "brightest" in more than one way. Lord Vishnu is the most intelligent of the Devas. Intelligence is the prime quality Lord Vishnu represents. ...Lord Vishnu is the pinnacle in intelligence. We can see that most clearly in how Lord Vishnu operates in the Mahabharata. He does not overcome his enemies by overpowering them. he overcomes them by outwitting them. Nor does he an emotional appeal on people, he uses perfect reasoning. Lord Shiva is easily swayed by emotional appeal, Lord Krishna not. But neither will Lord Krishna ever harm a being in anger. His perfect balanced mind always stays in control.

Lord Vishnu likes to play, he is like the ultimate chess player and the whole universe is his chessboard. He does not mind that other beings challenge him, he loves the challenge. You can fight him, he loves a good play. It is his Dharm to play, his Lila. He himself likes to challenge others too, that is his nature.

He is no autocratic ruler, when needed he will appeal to other Devas for their help. All Devas do that. Like a chess player Lord Vishnu knows how to position all the pieces and make the right moves. He is the most intelligent being in the Universe and his play can not be understood until all moves are played, and even then by very few beings. That is why Lord Krishna is the deceiver of all deceivers. He does not hate any being, he invites all beings to play with him. He even allows them to change the rules. But he will always give to them what they truly deserve.

One of the qualities of all the Devas is that if you sincerely (with pure heart, free of any selfishness) request their help, they can not but help you. ...
    Lord Vishnu though is pleased through action. That is why Lord Vishnu comes as Lord Krishna to teach action. He is a person of action. He comes to restore Dharm, right action. Everything about Lord Vishnu is about action.
    Nice. Well explained about Lord NArAyaN (VishNu), and very pleasing to read.

Just one minor thing I would like to mention :
    Lord Vishnu controls Rajas. Rajas is over-activeness. It is activeness born out of strong desire. Desire makes us plan to achieve our goals. It is a goal directed thinking. Tamas is under-activeness, it is born out of the desire to acquire things but without effort. Lord Shiva controls Tamas.
    I do see what you are saying here about VishNu controlling rajas (presiding over rajas), but actually, Lord VishNu Himself is the epitome of Shuddha Sattva (pure goodness) whereas Lord BramhA has to take on rAjas, otherwise how can He create the world? BramhA also occasionally shows signs of rajas. However, He avoids the ego of thinking Himself to be the Creator by remembering that the Source of facilitating the creative process is Elsewhere, thereby maintaining transcendence (ref. Bhagvat PurAN 1.2.* - chatuhshloki bhagvat)

Thanks for a nice post by the way.
    -----------------------

Namaste all

Now the question will arise --- then how can VishNu fight demons if He does not take on rajas? NArAyaN is always in control of and way beyond the modes of nature (sattva raja tama), and always untouched by them. However, this play -- as you have mentioned, is but a LeelA. Everything, starting from taking avatArs, enchanting the devotees and sAdhus, siddhas, fighting and relinquishing the demons for their own good (uddhAr), strategies planned, relationships maintained, protection and shelter provided and promises kept, are all leela. LeelA is not as easy to understand as one may think.

Actually, Shiva or BramhA calling the Ram/KrshNa avatAr back to the abode "Lord, it is time for you to wind up this mission. Please come back" -- is also a LeelA!
    Does NArAyaN really need the entire group of Devas headed by BramhA to come and remind Him it is time to wrap up and pack up? It is out of their love that they "take care of Him" and He lets them.

It is the same thing when Lakshmi, Shiva, BramhA have to "intevene" and talk to NRsimHa or VarAha about what He should do, and calm Him down.
    The Lord takes it in the same stride that He took YahsodA's safety dos and don'ts. "You are NOT going to MathurA and that is final. Over my dead body. I will not allow it" At this time, YashodA is the Lord's mother, and He has to say "MaiyA, as you wish. I shall not go without your permission" He is being a child of a mother at this point, not the Lord of the Universe.

When VarAha was fighting HiraNyAksha, He was being a bit too adventurous acc to BramhA. Actually He was giving HiraNyaksha the opportunities to "go down in the pages of history" as a brave warrior (behold His kindness towards the demons). BramhA was a bit apprehensive, and said "Lord, just kill him and don't take any more chances. It is almost sunset time and the demons' powers increase multi-fold after that" Didn't Yadnya-VarAha know that already? Don't we see it is the love and affection of Lord BramhA in trying to protect His NArAyaN from trouble? Love-mAyA makes one forget the Lord's capabilities. Same as the vraja vAsis and Devaki were worried for KRshNa. If He is God, why were they worried? Devaki knew He is NArAyaN. Then why did she want to hide Him in GokuL? The Lord lets them have that pleasure of being His mother, father, elders, protectors, lovers, big brothers...

Do we see the beauty of LeelA ? Just amazing. Simply amazing.

Also, compassion overflows in the Supreme Being. Therefore, in case of NRsimha avatAr, He had to wait and wait to let HiraNyakashyapU terrorize and torture His creation. His Love for the tender 5 year old PralhAd, and for those who had to become victims of HiraNyakashyapU was expressed in terms of this rage. The rage that a mother feels when her child is harmed for no fault of his. The rage that Ram felt when Sita went back into the earth.

And yet, despite all the atrocities of these demons, the kind Lord only works to uplift them from saMsAr. They get moksha at His hands! PutnA becomes a nurse in VaikunTha!

He BhagavAn, teri leelA aparampAr. (Your LeelA is unconventional, mysterious, unfathomable and endless)

My Sweet Lord
    Last edited by smaranam; 08 February 2015 at 01:53 PM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Dear Smaranam ji,

Thank you for this beautiful message.

Jai Sriman Narayana!

Viraja

Thread Information