Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailbone pain - locust pose/root chakra issue?

Tailbone pain - locust pose/root chakra issue?

Hello,

I have been seeing an Ayurvedic doctor for the past 5-6 months and have been doing asana postures, pranayama, and meditation pretty consistently during this time. I have become a vegetarian and I feel like a different person than what I was just 7 months ago.

My yoga has been going much better recently, I have become much more flexible, and my meditation has also become much deeper.

Recently, my tailbone has been hurting very much. I haven't fallen down and I am not sitting on anything uncomfortable. One of the poses I do each night and each morning is the locust pose, and I have noticed that this pose makes me realize just how much pain I am having there. I don't think the pose itself is causing the issue, but it could be.

I have read some things online about the root chakra and the kundalini being located there, and that the tailbone pain could be a signal of it waking up. Basically, I don't want to do anything wrong - I don't want to be imbalanced if the kundalini is about to wake up. But maybe the tailbone pain has nothing to do with it and I am just nervous for no reason. I respect kundalini and I want to do the right thing. Any help or advice anyone could give would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Tailbone pain - locust pose/root chakra issue?

Vannakkam: Generally I don't see pain from hatha yoga as related to kundalini as much as others make that connection. I think we see 'kundalini' more than it's there. It could well be pulled muscles or some other physical problem unrelated to kundalini. You could try resting and see if that changes anything. Sometimes the body just needs a break. But hey, that's just my opinion, a good teacher really up on this stuff would know more. Best wishes at feeling better, regardless.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Vasily,

It may be better to discontinue those poses causing discomfort in that area.
    If "kundalini" is the cause, then any doctor will also not be able to diagnose a physical issue.

On another thread "Sri Gayatri Mantra" for Meditation, a bias towards mantra meditation causing some imbalance is discussed where the symptom is headache.

Here is, IMHO, the other end of the spectrum where a probable bias towards tantric (Yogasanas, Pranayama etc) is causing imbalance resulting in pain in the root area.

To summarise:
    1) Proper guidance - taking the full range of Yogic realm into account - isn't available at all despite mass popularisation of many small facets of related practices.
    2) When these bits and pieces are sincerely followed by a practitioner, such "problems" are bound to occur, which are not only a logical culmination of practices adopted (and very much necessary imo), but also it comes to be even more critical to have info available on what next.

So, if the physical ailment (as in EM's concern in the previous post) is excluded, I certainly see more focus on mantra mediation as the way ahead. One clue is: are you able to move the "pain" to the next "chakra" during meditation in a normal, comfortable, yogic pose?

The mechanism is this:
    When prANa is singularly concentrated in one part or zone, sensitivity is increased (resulting in uncontrolled signals, that may cause pain or other sensations). And the "ability" to do so is a good thing, I would even say a milestone achieved. But the prANa also needs to move through other chakras because otherwise the unctrolled energy confined in one zone/ frequency is certainly not a good thing. And as one can understand, a doctor would likely see such issues as primarily psychological.
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

Dear friend ,

It could be due to a faulty pranayama also . When pranayama is done , any out side or sometimes even inside disturbances lead to some problems . In such a case no amount of medication gives any relief. The problem given by wrong way of pranayama should be rectified by the correction of the same.Once it happened to me. When I was doing in a class , the instructor disturbed me by correcting the way one has to place the fingers on the nose.Suddenly intense pain started in the back . I could not sit .I had to stand or lie down flat . Many pain killers were given , exercises were suggested , but nothing helped . The next day I did the pranayama the way I was doing for many years and the pain disappeared.If the air enters a wrong channel by mistake , it disturbs the equilibrium and leads to problems.I attended that class to know more about the new technics and that was a FLOP. From then , I never ventured in to any experiment.

Thank you all very much for your kind words of advice. Saswathy, do you think that if I have done the nadi shodhan for a little too long in one session it could cause this issue? Thank you again.

Dear friend ,
    It is not due to doing nadishodhan pranayama for long . It could have been caused by the entry of air in to wrong channel due to faulty procedure or disturbance in the procedure.Even if done for two to three hours if it is done perfectly nothing of that sort described by you would take place . But when it is done for long duration , it should be augmented by proper and nutritious and sathwic food . If you want only for health reasons doing for 10 minutes is sufficient.The longer it is done in correct way it is said , that it opens new vistas in spiritual sadhana . But good caution and care should be exercised and it is always advisable to do under the guidance of a good guru .

Namaste Vasily,

Tail bone may pain if you are in Lotus posture / crossed leg posture but have a bend back. When the back is bend and you rest your shoulders (not lower back) on wall, then the pressure falls upon the lower part of spine i.e. near tail bone and it begins to pain. also note that your lower back is a little away from wall.

Is the pain due to this improper sitting?

OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Dear friend ,
    In such a case medication helps .Your yoga guru could help you in giving any advice .

Hello Kalicharan Tuvij, saswathy and Amrut,

Thank you again for your help and advice. I actually was sitting against a wall during nadi shodhan so I have stopped doing that. Also, in the past few days, the base of the back of my neck on the left side has been hurting quite a bit and the pain in my tailbone has gone. I am wondering if the pain has moved "up" to the vishuddha chakra?

I want to say thank you again because I have no one else around me to talk to about any of this other than my Ayurvedic doctor, whom I see only once every two months or so. I have started reading the Upanishads, but again, I don't have anyone to share my thoughts or questions with. I live in the Midwest in the United States and the only Hindu temple is many miles away. I have been wanting to learn more about Brahman and my life's purpose, but it is hard when you feel like the only "different fish" in a very large lake.

Thank you and peace to you all

Namaste Vasily,

I do not understand

I actually was sitting against a wall during nadi shodhan so I have stopped doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
    Also, in the past few days, the base of the back of my neck on the left side has been hurting quite a bit and the pain in my tailbone has gone. I am wondering if the pain has moved "up" to the vishuddha chakra?
    The pain may move from one point to another if the energy shifts, but it does not mean it shifts from one chakra to another.

I suggest that you should atleast have a video conversation with someone practising yoga and asana-s so that s/he may give correct advice.

Kriya Yoga (Paramhansa Hariharananda / Prajnanananda) are generally good people. May be there is a follower of B.K.S. Iyengar.

Regards
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information