Thread: How do shaivites get moksha?

How do shaivites get moksha?

Hello I was wondering if anybody knows the ways a shaivite can get moksha? For example dying in Varanasi grants moksha. What are the other ways? I am expecting a lot of different ways. Please give proof from scriptures. Thanks.

Re: How do shaivites get moksha?

Quote Originally Posted by Namilus7 View Post
    Hello I was wondering if anybody knows the ways a shaivite can get moksha? For example dying in Varanasi grants moksha. What are the other ways? I am expecting a lot of different ways. Please give proof from scriptures. Thanks.
    Vannakkam Namilus: Welcome to these forums. If dying at Varanasi gave everyone moksha, it would be much fuller than it is. Personally, I think that's an exaggeration as to the value of being in Varanasi. That's not to diminish the value of a Varanasi pilgrimage, or having one's ashes put in the Ganga, but there is hyperbole about these things.

Moksha is simple release from the cycle of samsara. Saivites 'get' it as a result of Self-Realisation, or nirvikalpa samadhi.

Aum Namasivaya

About dying in Varanasi and ashes put in Ganga,
    is they are from text ? which text ?

If from text, maybe Shaivite have 2 kind of moksha :
    1. Moksha after death ( After death go to Shivaloka, receive Shiva's teachings and practice in Shivaloka until attain Moksha )
    2. Moksha in this world , with this body ( Doing cultivation in this world and attain moksha when we still alive )

Please tell me if iam wrong and give me the source of text, let us know about it.

Thank You

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Namaste, I am a shaivite...
    I don't study Vedas and other scriptures except few, so can't give scriptural refrense but from my point of view one can attain moksha when he do or feel following things-
    1. Moksha can be attain for those who don't have any desire except god I.e. lord Shiva In case of shaivites. Those who are full of devotion, they overwhelm with love whenever they see gods idol or shivlinga or when they listen his holy name, who is constantly thinking on lord Shiva n reciting his panchakshara mantra...
    2. Who is full of knowledge about everything ( knowledge of god, universe, Maya, soul, scriptures, karma, dharma n many more factors), one who always act according to dharma and always believe in hard work and one who do his all duties perfectly (according to karma yoga) and know the principle karmanye vadhikaraste ma phaleshu kadachana.
    3. One who is free from anger, lust, Maya, greed, fear, worry and free from all other gunas, one who is able to see n feel god everywhere, who is thinking about god when he is awake, when he is sleeping, who does the total surrender to lord Shiva....
    There are many many factors which I think but cannot write everything, there are many yogas (karma, jnana, bhaki, raj, kundalini, hatha....) to unite with god, I think this paths have no difference for shaivite or vaishnavas or shaktas all leads to one and merge into one, choose what u like...
    I don't believe people die in Varanasi get moksha, indeed one can get virtue if he visit pilgrimage wholeheartedly.
    Moksha can only be attain by self realisation, you have to work internally not externally.
    Pranam
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Namaste Namilus,

Quote Originally Posted by Namilus7 View Post
    For example dying in Varanasi grants moksha. What are the other ways?
    If that was true (though many Hindus are die-hard believers in this theory), then Kabir would not have left Varanasi just before his death to disprove this theory.

Where is Varanasi ? It is Vara (above, higher) + Nasi (nose). The point above nose where the eye-brows meet is called Varanasi (ref: Upanishad) which is also known as Ajna Chakra and lord Krishna advises in Bhagwad Gita (and also repeated in Upanishads) that by meditating on that point (i.e. residing in Varanasi) at the time of death, a person gets Moksha.

The only way to attain moksha is to cast-aside your worldly desires and seek refuge in God alone. It doesn't matter whether you are a Vaishnava or a Shaivite. God is one. Vishnu and Shiva are not different from each other. These are two forms of the same God which is one without a second.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste devotee ji, thanx for info on Varanasi, (Ajna chakra) I don't know it
    Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    which is one without a second.

OM
    I don't understand the meaning of this sentence, (maybe due to english, i cant simplify its meaning) please elaborate!
    Thank you!
    Pranam!
    (I am reading a book on nayanmar there also this sentence come n I don't understand its meaning at that time also its try to convey all gods are one but I want word to word meaning)
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Namaste SOL,

Quote Originally Posted by devotee
    which is one without a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by SOL
    don't understand the meaning of this sentence, (maybe due to english, i cant simplify its meaning) please elaborate!
    One without a second means "Advaitam" i.e. That which alone exists and no other thing exists. It means, "God is the Only Reality and everything else is illusory".

If you read Bhagwadwad Gita (Chapter-13), Lord Krishna says that One God alone is the Creator (BrahmA), the sustainer (nourisher) as Vishnu and that alone is the Destroyer as Shiva. Rig Veda proclaim, "Ekam Sad Vipra Bahudha vadanti" (The Reality/Truth/God is One and devotees describe differently).

MAndukya Upanishad says that AUM is Brahman and in its third state it is Ekibhootah PrajnAnghana ( Undifferentiated Mass of Consciousness ) which is non-dual which enjoys bliss and is origin and end of all beings in Subtle and Gross worlds. This is the state of Brahman which is called Saguna Brahman or God as we all worship in different forms as the origin and end of our existence. Ekibhootah PrajnAnghana cannot be two it must be One alone.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste SOL,

One without a second means "Advaitam" i.e. That which alone exists and no other thing exists. It means, "God is the Only Reality and everything else is illusory".

If you read Bhagwadwad Gita (Chapter-13), Lord Krishna says that One God alone is the Creator (BrahmA), the sustainer (nourisher) as Vishnu and that alone is the Destroyer as Shiva. Rig Veda proclaim, "Ekam Sad Vipra Bahudha vadanti" (The Reality/Truth/God is One and devotees describe differently).

MAndukya Upanishad says that AUM is Brahman and in its third state it is Ekibhootah PrajnAnghana ( Undifferentiated Mass of Consciousness ) which is non-dual which enjoys bliss and is origin and end of all beings in Subtle and Gross worlds. This is the state of Brahman which is called Saguna Brahman or God as we all worship in different forms as the origin and end of our existence. Ekibhootah PrajnAnghana cannot be two it must be One alone.

OM
    Thank you devotee ji for your explanation
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Namaste,

Moksha can be obtained when one dies in Kasi or Varanasi is given in pamda purANa. However, the explanation of word 'Varanasi' given by devotee ji is apt.

In padma pUrANa itself, we find the greatness of Siva.

For e.g. in svarga khaNDa, chapter 33 speaks of important places of pilgrimage and the rewards (phala-shrutI) of visiting them. Holy places like vArANasI and kASI are given. While explaining the importance of vArANasI, it is said that where both viShNu and mahAdeva reside, bhakta-s get mukti if they leave their physical body on this holy place.

While explaining importance of kASI, srI nArada ji says (33.57-59), among deva-s, nArAyaNa is the best (shreShTha) and amongst ISvara-s, girISha (Siva / rudra) is the best (ShreShTha). The one who worships rudra, do not get rebirth. They say, in this param kshetra (most holy place), one attains SivAlaya. Siva+laya meaning resting place of Siva. Siva is none other than kalyANakArI AtmA .e. Brahman of the upanishads. So here, Lord Siva, in the form of rudra gives us liberation at the time of death and one rests in Brahman.

In chapter 35, there is a story of a pious brAhmaNa SankukarNa who used to daily worship kapardISvara (Since bhagavAn Siva is having jaTA-jUTa (matted locks), he is known as kapardI. Once a piSAca came in front of him. SankukarNa when requested him to give info, he said that in prior birth he was a wealthy brAhmaNa and that he never did any pious work, nor did he worshipped Siva and so he is suffering from starving unquench hunger. SankukarNa atonce asked him to take a bath in holy place and piSAca was at once liberated. Seeing this, all sages and brAhmaNa-s present there sung in praise of bhagavAn Siva.

In chapter 35, Verses 34-43 are stuti-s sung by SankukarNa. Later on the stuti-s continue. The stuti-s describe bhagavAn Siva as advitiya (one and only one), purANa (ancient), brahman, lord of all, creator of this world and that everything resides in him. Siva has linga and is as a-linga svarUpa (form and formless). Siva is beyond the reach of veda-s, beyond darkness, without any root cause (meaning not born of some cause like merits-demerits of past lives), svayam prakASa jyoti-svarUpa (self effulgent), worshipped by yOgI-s, consciousness, better than bhagavAn brahmA ji, he is parameSvara. Some saints leaving savikalp samAdhi embarrassed nirvikalp samAdhi.

Siva gItA of padma purANa also talks about Siva granting moksha.

Shiva Purana, Linga Purana and probably Kurma Purana and Markendeya Purana also sing glories of Shiva along with Bhagavat Purana. I cant site references, but had read in tits and bits from different sources on glories of Shiva.

Shiva is both a person and a formless Self / Brahman, and by meditating on whom one gets moksha.

Verse BP 8.7.29 of bhAgavat purANa (Srimad Bhagavatam) defines Siva as a state of consciousness

BP 8.7.29: sadyojAta etc five vedic mantras are represented by your five faces [1], from which 38 celebrated vedic mantra-s are created. When you arise beyond guNa-s and are established in your Self, then this state is called as 'Siva' (Siva-Akhyam). In reality, it is the same Self Effulgent paramArtha-tatva (supreme consciousness).

Whenever any deity is glorified as the creator, preserver and destroyer, it is the glorification of the supreme brahman, which is different from the trinity.

Mandukya Up. also talks about this turiya Siva, which is consciousness.

Kaivalya Up. also glorifies Siva, the Supreme Self and asks one to daily chant Satarudriya (Sri Rudram to purify our chitta.

OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

The only ways to Moksha that I have ever known were alleviation of all past karma and true enlightenment. Bhakti is necessary, but would exist within enlightenment.

Thread Information