Hello and Namaste to you all,

In the Mundaka Upanishad it says, "the deathless self sees all, knows all." Is this verse suppose to be taken literally?

As I understand it, the self is the witness of all things external (humans, cars, sun, moon, etc) and internal (feelings, dreams, the dreamless state, etc), but if it truly knows all, why then does it not see the external body when we fall asleep? Why is it not conscious of the body it is attached to during the sleep state? When we sleep, the spirit only seems to see spiritual things - meaning, things that aren't physical (dreams, etc). But when we are awake, it is conscious of both the spiritual realm (thoughts, feelings, memory, etc) and the physical realm (body, computer screen, etc). Why is this? Is it limited in that sense?

And perhaps this is a really silly question, but I'm moved to ask it anyway. Why is the spirit (turiya?), if it is the witness of all, if it sees all and knows all, only able to see the outer part of the body, but not the inner. Meaning, it's unable to see the inner organs: heart, veins, blood, etc.

Would appreciate any help I can get with this.

Thank you.