Thread: Mahashivtri 2015

Mahashivtri 2015

Namaste

In 2015, Mahashivratri is on Tue 17 Feb. I understand Nishith Kaal is from 12:28 IST to 1:18 IST

1. Is this time for Nishith Kaal (12:28 to 1:18) referring to 00:28 AM IST - 01:18 AM IST... that is we are referring to night of 16 Feb and early morning 17 Feb "OR" are we referring to night of 17 Feb and early morning 18 Feb
    2. Does taking spiritual resolutions on Nishith Kaal have special power? Do such resolutions have special strength?
    Om Namah Shivay

Re: Mahashivtri 2015

Namaste,

I also have some doubts,does MahaShivarathri occur on Trayodashi or Chaturdashi?
    What is the total duration,from Tuesday morning to next day morning or only from evening to next day morning/evening?

Also,I would be grateful if anyone can tell in detail about how one should live or conduct oneself during the most holy occasion of MahaShivarathri?
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste,

Happy Shivaratri to everyone!

According to the article in Dinamalar, Shivaratri is to be celebrated on Krishna paksha Chaturdashi tithi. The date given is Feb 17th (Tuesday). The reasoning given such that - human mind is like a monkey. One day it desires something, next day, it questions its own desire, 3rd day it again desires the same thing. It is like the Moon that vanes and waxes for 15 days each. Therefore to symbolize the state of the mind that still lingers onto the desires, the Chaturdashi tithi which is the 14th day is chosen. The Chaturdashi tithi thus represents the faint vasana of desires that lingers on to the mind which has to be gotten rid of, to proceed further spiritually.

The article in Tamil can be read here: http://www.dinamalar.com/supplementa...d=23870&ncat=2
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste ji,
    Can you please tell me about resolution you was talking about also where you read it and what happen if we break that resolution?
    -pranam
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Thread Information