Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Surya Narayana

  1. #1

    Surya Narayana

    Dear members

    Can any one tell about Surya Narayana?is he one of avatars of Lord Vishnu?Or Lord Surya's other name is Surya Narayana?

    I cant find much in internet.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    December 2007
    Age
    61
    Posts
    3,218
    Rep Power
    4724

    Re: Surya Narayana

    Namaste,

    Surya or Sun-God is also called as Surya Narayana by people.

    OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

  3. #3

    Re: Surya Narayana

    Quote Originally Posted by devotee123 View Post
    Dear members

    Can any one tell about Surya Narayana?is he one of avatars of Lord Vishnu?Or Lord Surya's other name is Surya Narayana?

    I cant find much in internet.
    Namaste Devotee123,

    This is was discussed some time ago. Please refer post no.#3 in the thread Analysis of the name 'nArAyanA' for Sri Vishnu for less discussed side of the story.
    Things to remember:

    1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

  4. #4

    Re: Surya Narayana

    Namaste devotee123 (already 2 devotees on the thread )

    This can be explained in multiple ways (relationship -- surya + nArAyaN = sUryanArAyaN)

    3. Throughout Vedopanishad you will notice that the Highest Bramhan' is compared to the Sun, Golden, brightest, purest,
    He is called pushAn (Ishopanishad). This is an analogy so we understand how Bramhan is to be looked at.
    -- His fiery nature burns all impurities.
    -- His constant stoic endurance shows Bramhan's achala (infallible, unmovable) nature. Constantly providing light and heat (poshaN hence pushAn), never stopping, always steady -- nature of Bramhan (NArAyaN) hence sUryanArAyaN.

    SUrya by nature and role is One-with-NArAyaN.

    That being said, Bramhan (NArAyaN, KRshNa) says in the Gita "My dhAm (abode) is that place where no Sun, , Moon Wind or electricity are required -- it is ever illuminated" - na sUrya na shashAnka na pAvaka.

    So we have to understand that when Sun is equated with Brahman (as in sUryanArAyaN) it is not talking about the physical sun/suns/stars.


    1. It may help to read Shrimad BhAgvat purAN 5.21 - canto 5 chapter 21 It explains the role of sUrya dev in each manvantara (from which we can see He either is, has or inherits the nature of the highest Bramhan (NArAyaN).

    In each manvantara (era of one Manu), there comes into being a unique set each, of
    -- devas
    -- siddha
    -- RshI
    -- gandharva
    -- apsarA
    -- yaksha etc.

    So, in each manvantar, a different being plays the role of sUrya, Indra, chandra, varuN....

    Also, sUrya is called Aditya, pushAn, etc. and when He is named what is a detail you will find in SB 5.21

    **In the event that there is no suitable living entity to take on the position of sUrya, BhagvAn nArAyaN (the Highest Brahman') Himself takes on the role of sUrya and at that time He is called sUryanArAyaN.

    (Same happens with Indra, and at times with VyAs - compiler. VishNu Himself takes on these roles when there is no suitable entity at the time. Please Note -- this is the paurANic explanation, and may not click well with strict Ved-shruti followers ).

    2. Note that sUrya is also called Aditya, because He is one of the 12 deva-putra (deva sons) of Aditi. One of them is VishNu, hence when VishNu comes as vAman, Aditi and Kashyap's son, He is Aditya.

    Both sUrya and VishNu are Aditya - sons of Aditi, they are One.


    The knowledge of Vedas comes on several levels and we have to consolidate all levels to see the big picture
    -- adidaivik (divine and destiny level -- the world of devas)
    -- adiyAdnik (yadnya level / perspective - sacrificial - fire/internal)
    -- adhyAtmik (internal world -- AtmA within the jIv)
    -- adibhautik ( physical nature level -- natural universal phenomena)

    om namo nArAyaNAya
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

  5. #5

    Re: Surya Narayana

    Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Namaste devotee123 (already 2 devotees on the thread )

    2. Note that sUrya is also called Aditya, because He is one of the 12 deva-putra (deva sons) of Aditi. One of them is VishNu, hence when VishNu comes as vAman, Aditi and Kashyap's son, He is Aditya.

    Both sUrya and VishNu are Aditya - sons of Aditi, they are One.




    om namo nArAyaNAya
    Vishnu is not son of aditi....Vishnu is a tattvam that is present inside everything and acts as a controller/supporter. for our benefit it may appears also as Shanka Chakra Gadha Dhaari......Vishnu also appeared as Krushna to grace us bhagawadGita which explains the supreme is Krushna only..Parama Siva himself explains in padma purana to parvathi devi that the Narayana Mantram is the supreme...

    Surya is just a Jiva...For him also Narayana is the inner controller but due to his Karma, Surya has attained so much power to support all the living beings

  6. #6

    Re: Surya Narayana

    Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    Vishnu is not son of aditi....Vishnu is a tattvam that is present inside everything and acts as a controller/supporter. for our benefit it may appears also as Shanka Chakra Gadha Dhaari......Vishnu also appeared as Krushna to grace us bhagawadGita which explains the supreme is Krushna only..Parama Siva himself explains in padma purana to parvathi devi that the Narayana Mantram is the supreme...

    Surya is just a Jiva...For him also Narayana is the inner controller but due to his Karma, Surya has attained so much power to support all the living beings
    Jai Shri KRshNa

    Welcome, and thanks for your input.

    Please read what I have said --- When He appeared as VAman, in VAman avatar He was son of Aditi -- because she prayed for Him to appear as her son -- just as Devaki did , who was also PRshNi in a previous birth.

    Every name of Vishnu has some reason and meaning. Just as we say Devakinandan and YashodAnandan , He is Aditya too.

    Also, I suppose you did not read this (Surya dev as a living entity, ref SB5.21) :
    Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    In each manvantara (era of one Manu), there comes into being a unique set each, of
    -- devas
    -- siddha
    -- RshI
    -- gandharva
    -- apsarA
    -- yaksha etc.

    So, in each manvantar, a different being plays the role of sUrya, Indra, chandra, varuN....

    Also, sUrya is called Aditya, pushAn, etc. and when He is named what is a detail you will find in SB 5.21

    **In the event that there is no suitable living entity to take on the position of sUrya, BhagvAn nArAyaN (the Highest Brahman') Himself takes on the role of sUrya and at that time He is called sUryanArAyaN.

    (Same happens with Indra, and at times with VyAs - compiler. VishNu Himself takes on these roles when there is no suitable entity at the time. Please Note -- this is the paurANic explanation, and may not click well with strict Ved-shruti followers ).
    and this ?
    Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    The knowledge of Vedas comes on several levels and we have to consolidate all levels to see the big picture
    -- adidaivik (divine and destiny level -- the world of devas)
    -- adiyAdnik (yadnya level / perspective - sacrificial - fire/internal)
    -- adhyAtmik (internal world -- AtmA within the jIv)
    -- adibhautik ( physical nature level -- natural universal phenomena)
    I like what you said about the ashTAksharI mantra on another thread

    om namo nArAyaNAya
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

  7. #7

    Re: Surya Narayana

    Thanks smmaranam swamy....Hare Krushna..


    adiyen Ramanuja daasa

  8. #8

    Re: Surya Narayana

    Also i think adhyAtmika , adibhautika, adidaivika comes under taapa trayam, adiAtmika....atma also can refer manas, so adiAtmika is suffering experienced by thoughts through manas/mind...shanti mantras that is twhy they end with 3 shantis ...to end these 3 sufferings experienced on body level, mind level and adidaivika is something experienced by invisible devas (the devathas behind pancha bhootas) the cold, heat and others

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Krishna The Supreme Godhead
    By Spiritualseeker in forum God in Hindu Dharma
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 01 September 2009, 09:56 AM
  2. Hindu view of Jesus
    By ScottMalaysia in forum Christianity
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 06 March 2008, 03:16 AM
  3. Identity of Narayana
    By Sri Vaishnava in forum Hare Krishna (ISKCON)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 24 January 2008, 08:51 AM
  4. Surya Exalted in Aries
    By yajvan in forum Jyotish
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12 June 2007, 05:19 PM
  5. What did Sankara mean?
    By orlando in forum Hot Topics
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 11 May 2006, 02:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •