Namaste all!
As we all know upavasa- upa+avasa
Upa- near
Avāsā- stay
Means near stay..
We consume lots of time in making food, eating it and digest it, during upavasa or fast we save all this time and can give this time to god..
Also some food give us the feeling of tiredness (tamasik bhava) and also not eating or eating only fruits makes our digestive system healthy by giving it relief of one day, we do upavasa at some special occasions...
Here we don't do strict upavasa, we eat food which can be acceptable in fast like fruit, beetroot, sabudana..etc etc
One of my family member doesn't feel right after eating this food means he fall sick, so can I tell him to not follow upavasa as he doesnt do anything mention above as he only do upavasa as we have to do during occasion means he is not so spiritual not less, also if such food is not right for his digestive system then what is a need to do upavasa? So I want to ask experienced members that if I tell him the purpose of upavasa and also if it is not good for ur health then there is no need to do upavasa then there is anything wrong in it? As mahashivaratri is near n there is whole day fast during this time,
( by the way I love upavasa n can withstand without drinking n eating, but my parents will not allow me for such strict fast, they will allow me for fast as I had mention means fruits and other allowable foods )
Thank you for reading
- Pranam