Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anger and Puja

Anger and Puja

Namaste I have a concern regarding anger and puja. Recently I had an episode where I got angry at a situation and reacted by using profanity and throwing an object down (on something soft because it was my cell phone). I was not in the presence of those who had angered me, because I was informed of the situation via phone (hence the throwing). I also said some pretty profane words which none heard but me. Within 20 minutes or so I was calm. Later that day as I was doing meditation at my home shrine I remembered that after an explosion of anger one should not do puja for at least 30 days.

I normally do salutations to Lord Ganesha, jappa to Shiva, meditate, fan the flames and then bless myself with the flame.

Questions are 1. How angry is angry? I mean does someone have to be harmed from this?
    2 Does anyone know the reason for it?

Theoretically, one can get angry every few days and NEVER get to puja

Thank you
    Aum Namah Shiva
    In whatever way people surrender unto me, I reciprocate with them accordingly.

Light Re: Anger and Puja

Hello sir, sailing on the same boat here... Anger issues with too...

People of the forum, the following may be a bit childish, and don't judge me, but.. I believe in spontaneous writing. Writing from the heart without thinking and editing.

1. I have to say this, it really is admirable that you're accepting it (a flaw) and facing it.
    =) Bravo sir..! ...And it takes greater courage to admit it publicly. Accepting one's flaws the first step to rectifying one's flaws and helps in greater spiritual development. It is better than Denial and Pretence... Denial "that everything is fine, I'm perfect, hey, I'm flawless. I have a right to be angry, it's righteous rage" yeah right... those are the things that certain people say to themselves..:P "I'm not angry.. me? who's angry? outside=) inside:X(" and off course, not to forget the.. "I'm not angry with me, he's the one angry with me." You're not doing any of these, so for that I admire and appreciate you. and some people use sarcasm when they're angry..."Thank you for your useless opinions."
    2. Mostly, anger is due to our own wrong perceptions and misunderstandings about the world and the people we see.

3. Before you get to the part where you get angry on yourself for being angry, I suggest you explore why you got angry in the first place? Is it justified like the anger of Shiva as Madanantaka, as a protector of Markandeya from Shiva's own laws, and as a mother like Kaali whose maternal instincts of protecting you and me pushed her toward becoming terrible or is it justified like the anger of Narasimha who could no longer tolerate the torments given to Prahlada and other devotees or is it the same anger as Parashurama or Rama or Shiva as Tripurantaka or Skanda's anger towards Tarakasura when they were faced with injustice, or is it the anger of Panchali and Bheem when her very pativrata dharma or chastity was put to test. If you can justify your anger, then I see no evil... But, wait! To do that you have to keep your head cool and analyze your own reasons for "anger" is a challenge, if you cannot do that, I suggest to you that you quickly come out of it by chanting "Aum Namah Shivaya" till you calm down... I see you are a Shiva devotee, just like me. The reason why we calm down thinking about god (any god, any form of the supreme) Even if anger is justified, it needs to be channelized or vanquished within oneself through various means, "Aum namah Shivaya" always works for me. Just as smoke covers fire and ultimately reduces oxygen and reduces fire burning, anger even if justified must be subject to immediate introspection and you and I should think how to put out this anger in a more positive and effective way, like the fire used by metallurgists in welding. Most importantly, it is vital to differentiate the justifications coming from the antaranga or conscience from the justifications from logic and buddhi, by using well constructed statements that are logical and making sense, the mind like a criminal genius deceives itself without knowing that it is deceiving itself.

4. If your anger is not justified, don't look for justifications, instead, calm down and introspect the cause of it. When you detect the cause, you'll be able to treat it. Don't fight the anger, fight the cause.

My personal experience(I hope I'm not unconsciously promoting myself and going against the rule book): I'm a hot blooded young man in my 20s, 22 right now. I got angry at all fanatics of all times and all religions: Christian, Hindu(Shaiva, Vaishnava), Sikh, Muslim, Muslim extremism(like ISIS, taliban) some ISKCONites, (not all, some. maybe I should underline and put it in bold, before some think this is an attack on ISKCON... "SOME" NOT ALL) and I reacted in rage right here, in these forums, and here:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=13627
    yeah.. embarrassed right now..

so, I went back to all that which made me angry and tried to dig for the cause. I was able to subdue the beast(anger) as soon as I discovered the cause.

5. Laugh it off?

I don't know... Whenever I see something that makes me angry I just try to see the silly side of it.

whenever I see things like "My God can beat up your god (my lord is the supreme creator, yours is not!)" attitude in older adults, I used to be, "They're the same...
    X(" and they'd repeat... "My god... your god...." my reply again "They're the same...X(" After 100 cycles... "my god... your god...." me:X( and the response one usually receives from such people is and most are like... and all the good people are like: "calm down, calm down," that's how society is from my perspective.. that being said, I'm proud of these forums for all the good, kind people here, thank you Lord.

Here's how I feel the situation should've been....
    they:"my god.. your god..
    "
    me: "duh... and Oranges are blue...
    "

Try to look at the funny side of it.

I've seen anger in the following faces:

1.Anger on me which is justified, 2.Anger on me unjustified, 3.Anger on me which seemed justified, but due to a misunderstanding, 4.Anger by me which is justified, 5.Anger by me unjustified, 6.Anger by me which seemed justified, but due to a misunderstanding.

If it helps the Narsimha in you to cool down, here's a hug from the Prahlada in me. ("Krishna: Among, the daityas I'm Prahlada." so God is everywhere in him, in me and you)

On a last note, To err is to human, to have flaws is being human, after all, man is an animal too... but, to overcome these errors and flaws is to remain human and march toward divinity, after all, man is the pride son of god. If he fails to improve, that’s a tragedy and remains an animal.

Thank you friend.
    Thank you as well friend (God).
    aum namah Shivaya...aum namah Shivaya...

May love win over lust, may maternal anger win over demonic anger, may the devil(kali) living inside me be defeated by the god(kalki) living inside me, may justice win over injustice everywhere, may logic win over illogic, may the good things win over those bad... and Lastly, Truth always Wins, no mays. So, let truth be the sword of justice. a little feedback please. Is this post helpful?

I don't know who I am, nor what I am.
    I don't know what I need to know.
    I don't know who you are, nor what you are.
    All I know is that you love me, Oh Sarvathma.
    Lead me on the righteous path, so that I may reach you.

Re: Anger and Puja

Vannakkam: We bathe, we bring fresh water, we bring washed fruit, incense, and inside we feel pure in order to enter That presence. This purity is an inner offering. Anger is not a suitable offering.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: We bathe, we bring fresh water, we bring washed fruit, incense, and inside we feel pure in order to enter That presence. This purity is an inner offering. Anger is not a suitable offering.

Aum Namasivaya
    Vannakkam,

what is your personal opinion from your experiences? Should anger be completely eliminated? Or can it be used positively? Is there anything good to anger? Or should it be completely vanquished and eliminated like a demon by the hands of god?

Quote Originally Posted by upsydownyupsy mv ss View Post
    Vannakkam,

what is your personal opinion from your experiences? Should anger be completely eliminated? Or can it be used positively? Is there anything good to anger? Or should it be completely vanquished and eliminated like a demon by the hands of god?
    Vannakkam: My personal opinion is that it should be totally controlled, but that it takes time and discipline over many years. I think that people who claim it is somehow positive are just making excuses for their own anger, They're using the intellect to rationalise away their own poor control. If it is used positively, then it's not true anger. An example is screaming therapy by certain healers, when people who have suffered abuse go off to the forest and scream about it. For them it's a release method, and is most likely beneficial. I personally would not call that anger.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste MS,

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Soul View Post
    Questions are 1. How angry is angry? I mean does someone have to be harmed from this?
    2 Does anyone know the reason for it?
    First of all, which authority says that once you are angry you should not do pooja for 30 days ? Never heard of this. Please explain.

Theoretically, one can get angry every few days and NEVER get to puja
    Exactly !

See, emotions arise due to our conditioning of mind and this conditions arise due to habits formed in many days/months/years/lifetime/births. Spiritual journey tries to erase this habit. If I have already conquered all such emotions then I think I needn't do anything else on the path of spirituality as I am already Sthitpragnya which is the desired state.

Spiritual efforts including pooja, meditation, daily rituals should not be stopped for any reasons as long as you can calm down sufficiently to do justice to the spiritual activity. Uncontrolled arising of such emotions call for more spiritual efforts and not lessening of efforts.

What should one do ?

1. Arising of emotions is a natural phenomenon as long as the conditioning of mind is not erased by spiritual practice. So, one should never get perturbed when such emotions arise. Arising of emotions don't do any harm until you get involved in the emotion. Practice of observing the phenomenon of arising of emotions and their causes without getting involved will certainly help.

2. Do more spiritual practice if there is uncontrolled emotional activity. If I am unable to control my emotions, I should double the time I usually engage in my spiritual practice : e.g. if you normally do 1000 japs of "Om Namah Shivaya" ... do it 2000 times as penance. If you normally meditate for 1 hour everyday then meditate for 2 hours as a penance.

3. Take to fruits-diet only for a day as fruit diet cleanses us of many unwanted poisons including physical and mental.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Smile Re: Anger and Puja

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: My personal opinion is that it should be totally controlled, but that it takes time and discipline over many years. I think that people who claim it is somehow positive are just making excuses for their own anger, They're using the intellect to rationalise away their own poor control. If it is used positively, then it's not true anger. An example is screaming therapy by certain healers, when people who have suffered abuse go off to the forest and scream about it. For them it's a release method, and is most likely beneficial. I personally would not call that anger.

Aum Namasivaya
    Vanakkam,

Thank you Eastern Mind for your reply on the matter.

Your answer has actually confused me a bit more instead of clarifying a doubt of mine..

Yes, I'm familiar with this peculiar quality of the mind to rationalize wrong as right, a tendency of the mind to trap itself with unnecessary logic to actually justify what it wants to do. But, I always strive for a better understanding.

I actually thought of this explanation, but also I'm not able to construct an explanation for the following, can you help me by trying to explain what is the presence of anger doing in God? 1. What about the anger of Vishnu when he turned into Narasimha to save his devotee Prahlada, and what about the anger of 2. Shiva when he broke the laws of nature to save Markandeya, and also 3. when he burnt down Manmatha or Lust with his third eye? or even the anger of 4. Mahakaali? or even the anger of 5. Bheem when he ended his cousin Duryodhana I've been breaking my head over this for years? What conceptual metaphor is this? What I'm seeing in my perspective when I look at your answer is that, this person is sattvic, the ras of patience and tolerance of brahmanathva, it is fairly logical and sensible that peace-loving people shun anger, but what is anger doing in depiction of god and great heroes? Or is it something different from anger, that I'm misinterpreting that emotion as anger which is completely different from anger.

On the other side, it was Parashurama who asked his father Jamadagni to completely eliminate the anger within Jamadagni, which burnt his mother and brothers Jamadagni does succeed in throwing anger out of his mind and body and grants his son's wish. This story does support your view.

But, on a further note, when resurrected Jamadagni gets killed in the hands of Karthaviryajuna's sons, Parashurama goes on a rampage killing his entire clan.

At a moment your argument seems logical, the moment I run to accept it, I'm stopped by these other stories and concepts as speedbreakers.

There are arguments and counter-arguments taking place in mind right now regarding the role of anger. Please, I request you to continue this discussion in this regard, and help me resolve my doubts Eastern Mind. Thank you for your patience and a wonderful reply.

Thumbs Up Re: Anger and Puja

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste MS,

3. Take to fruits-diet only for a day as fruit diet cleanses us of many unwanted poisons including physical and mental.

OM
    namaste Devotee,
    thank you for the suggestion on fruits.
    I often forget the role of the food in the workings of the body and the role of body in influencing the mind...

Quote Originally Posted by upsydownyupsy mv ss View Post

Vanakkam,

Your answer has actually confused me a bit more instead of clarifying a doubt of mine..
    Vannakkam: This is easy for me, because not for one minute do I believe in the Puranas as literal.

If anthropomorphised Gods doing violent acts in any way was my religion, I'd find a new one right away. I don't discard the Puranas outright, as I do think that perhaps hidden under all that is some sort of lesson. But it would have to be metaphoric.

In my opinion, if any person was to justify his anger by claiming that if God can get mad, then why can't I, he's out of touch with our faith ... and the fact that ahimsa is central to it.

This is in the same realm, but obviously not as severe as Hitler using the Bhagavas Gita to justify his horrendous actions.

But I won't argue endlessly on this, just as I won't argue with the people who support cannabis as an aid to meditation.

If you want to smoke up, go for it. It's not my business.
    If you want to get angry, go for it. It's not my business.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakkam
    Eastern Mind,

Thank you for bringing me out of the 'literal' interpretation of the puranas, I almost forgot the situations are used to depict the Bhaava Artha of the complex phenomena of the world. I almost slipped the wrong way down the slippery mud slope after the rain, thank you for holding my arm and pulling me back up.

Wow. Well now, that was cleared and dumped outside my system.

Thread Information