Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anger and Puja

Re: Anger and Puja

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste MS,
    First of all, which authority says that once you are angry you should not do pooja for 30 days ? Never heard of this. Please explain.
    OM
    Namaste, first of all thank you for your response. I was not aware that anyone had answered this post because I got no e mail notifications. So, forgive the delayed response.

The "authority" which I quote is from The editors of Hinduism Today magazine. It is from an article on how to do home pooja. It also says not to do pouja if you have a wound or have bled recently. To read the article in entirity page 204 in the book entitled "What Is Hinduism". I have seen it other place too, but I cannot recall where.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for taking the time to respond
    Aum Namah Shiva
    In whatever way people surrender unto me, I reciprocate with them accordingly.

2. Re: Anger and Puja

Anger results from thwarted desire.

It is important to keep doing your sadhana or spiritual practice. As it becomes more ingrained, it will result in greater vairagya ( dispassion ) which will slowly release the hold of anger ( and desire ) on your mind.

Namasthe!

If you feel that you are impure because of anger ... that is when you need purity and therefore you should reach out to god at the earliest.

I am not sure where you picked up this idea that you should not chant God's name or pray for 30 days. If you feel some impurity , that is all the more a reason to reach out to God.

Relax and surrender to God. Chant his name. There is no inappropriate moment for that.
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Soul View Post
    Namaste, first of all thank you for your response. I was not aware that anyone had answered this post because I got no e mail notifications. So, forgive the delayed response.

The "authority" which I quote is from The editors of Hinduism Today magazine. It is from an article on how to do home pooja. It also says not to do pouja if you have a wound or have bled recently. To read the article in entirity page 204 in the book entitled "What Is Hinduism". I have seen it other place too, but I cannot recall where.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for taking the time to respond
    Aum Namah Shiva
    Forget it all ! Please stay away from such "authorities" for ever. I second what Silence_speaks says.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Devotee,
    empty your message inbox please, I can't reply to your message.

Regarding anger, I recently had big anger issues and trying to find a way to cope with them. Mantra chanting is helping me..

Dear Ametyst,

You can pm me now. I have cleared old messages.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaskar,

Interesting thread. Being a hot head myself anger management is very important to me. If someone is rude/abusive/insults me I get hurt and angry and my behavior then becomes shameful as I stoop to their level. If I can then be alone for a while by chanting mantra or thinking about total surrender to God or deep breathing I regain my composure, though it may take a while. However this approach is not helpful when I have to be with and keep interacting with others who are hostile to me. Can someone offer an instant remedy - how to relax and gain control over myself really fast when in such a situation ?

Om Shanti Shanti

Namaskar seeker,
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker2011 View Post
    Namaskar,

Interesting thread. Being a hot head myself anger management is very important to me. If someone is rude/abusive/insults me I get hurt and angry and my behavior then becomes shameful as I stoop to their level. If I can then be alone for a while by chanting mantra or thinking about total surrender to God or deep breathing I regain my composure, though it may take a while. However this approach is not helpful when I have to be with and keep interacting with others who are hostile to me. Can someone offer an instant remedy - how to relax and gain control over myself really fast when in such a situation ?

Om Shanti Shanti
    I also had this problem at one time, and it is getting better but I don't know if there's a fast way to change it. Speaking only for myself, I try to be aware of when I find myself in a situation where my annoyance or temper might get triggered, then I focus more actively on my breathing, go inwards and chant my mantra. If someone does something that would set me off, I try to remember instead of getting mad, to bow to God in the form of that person and thank Him for presenting Himself to me in this way. I am not always successful - less so in the past and with practice I am more so now. What was a very stressful commute several years ago is almost placid now. When I fail, I let it pass through me without self-judgement and without reacting to the feeling that are passing through. I simply acknowledge they're there and then let them go and repeat the process I mentioned earlier, after the fact. Over time and with practice I react less and bow during the fact more.

I hope this is of some small help.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Namaskar seeker,
    I also had this problem at one time, and it is getting better but I don't know if there's a fast way to change it. Speaking only for myself, I try to be aware of when I find myself in a situation where my annoyance or temper might get triggered, then I focus more actively on my breathing, go inwards and chant my mantra. If someone does something that would set me off, I try to remember instead of getting mad, to bow to God in the form of that person and thank Him for presenting Himself to me in this way. I am not always successful - less so in the past and with practice I am more so now. What was a very stressful commute several years ago is almost placid now. When I fail, I let it pass through me without self-judgement and without reacting to the feeling that are passing through. I simply acknowledge they're there and then let them go and repeat the process I mentioned earlier, after the fact. Over time and with practice I react less and bow during the fact more.

I hope this is of some small help.

~Pranam
    Namaskar, Pranam,
    your message is helpful to me. I will practice it. It is important to know our triggers. For me it is crowds, esp when I am already tired. Chanting mantras in advance is a very good suggestion. I mean why wait until I am already triggered?
    Thank you
    Aum
    In whatever way people surrender unto me, I reciprocate with them accordingly.

Namaskar Aanandinii,

Your suggestions seem to be of immense help. Will practise it. Thanks for sharing.

Om Shanti Shanti

Thread Information