Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rama-Vishnu Shlokas Help

Rama-Vishnu Shlokas Help

Namaste,

I've the Gita Press translation of Valmiki Ramayana,there is Srimad Ramayana Mahatmyam from the Skanda MahaPurana given in it.In the second adhyaya(Rakshasa Vimochana) there is one sloka which begins with the word Narayana..

Sloka no. 9 Translation:
    Narayana,Achuyta,Anantha,Vasudeva..................Oh Rama Vishnu!My Salutions to you.

My book has only translations without original sloka,could any member post the Sanskrit original of the above one?

2.Does anyone know of any similar shlokas like the above one where Sri Rama is identified with Lord Vishnu(or His names i.e. are there any other Sanskrit shlokas where Lord Rama is worshiped with Sriman Narayana's names)?

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: Rama-Vishnu Shlokas Help

Achyutam keshavam Krishna damodaram,
    Ram Narayanam janki valabham..
    I remember only this song/shloka for now...
    Pranam
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

"Yanmaya Vashvarti Vishwamkhilambrahamadidevasura,
    Yat Sat Vadmrishave Bhati Sakalam Rajoo Yadhaahaibharama,
    Yatpadah Palvmaive Bhati Hi Bhavambhodhaisitatti Shravtam,
    Vandeaham Tamsheshkaranparam Ramakhayamesham Harim"

Meaning: Lord Hari is also called as Rama and he is beyond all cause. This whole world is a part of his Maya. Lord Ram is the only one, with whose essence everything shines as real (though in reality it is false) where snake is misapprehended as a rope and whose feet are a boat to those who aspire to cross the ocean of Samsara, the relative existence. I surrender myself to such great lord.
    (Just read on internet)

15 Dhrishtadyumna said: Oh Rama, Oh Narayana, Vasudeva, Govinda, Oh Dweller of Vaikuntha; Oh Mukunda, Oh Krishna, Keshava, Oh Lord without Beginning or End; Oh Nrisimha, Oh Vishnu! Protect me! Save me! For, Oh lord, I have been bitten by the serpent of samsara, of worldliness.
    (Found one translation of pandava geeta)
    Pranam
    Last edited by Soul of Light; 23 February 2015 at 10:32 AM.
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Ram ji,

I am not aware of slokas referring to Sri Rama using Sri Vishnu's names, however, I know temples where Sri Rama is worshiped in his 4-armed form carrying Shanku and Chakra, to show that he is the same as Sri Vishnu.

http://prtraveller.blogspot.com/2010...r-koodam.html:

"In the entire Ramayana, Rama is said to have displayed his full form with Conch and Chakra only to his mother Kausalya just before he left on his exile to the forest, to Anjaneya when they met for the first time, to Thrijadai (in whose dream the all conquering Rama is said to have appeared), to Ravana’s sister (correction: wife) Mandothari in Lanka and to Ravana at the end of the Ramayana battle."

Few temples Sri Rama is thus in his 4-armed Vishnu form are:

1. Ponpadharkoodam in TN.
    2. Badrachalam in AP.

Besides, in temples such as Tiruvallur in TN, Sri Rama is in sayana posture akin to Sri Ranganatha Swami.

However, in Tripayar, Sri Rama is considered a conglomeration of the amsas of Shiva, Brahma, and Vishnu - the Trimurthis.

http://www.vaikhari.org/triprayar.html:

"The diety Lord Rama in the Triprayar Temple is popularly known as Triprayarappan or Triprayar Thevar. The idol of Lord Rama was initially worshipped by Lord Krishna at Dwaraka. After the swargarohana of Lord Krishna the idol was immnesed in the sea. Later some fisher men got the idol from the sea near Chettuva region of Kerala and the local ruler Vakkayil Kaimal constructed a temple at Triprayar and installed the idol. The image of Rama (Triprayar Thevar) resembles the Chaturbhuja Vishnu form with four arms, bearing a conch(Panchajanya), a disc (Sudarsana), a bow (Kodanda) and a garland respectively. It is believed that the deity worshipped here possesses some of the aspects of Shiva too. It was after killing the asura, Khara that Sri Rama got both the Shaiva and Vaishnava aspects. Thus Triprayar Thevar is also called Khara Samhara Moorthy. It is also believed that the portrayal of Rama with a garland held in the image's hand is also suggestive of aspects of Bhrahma and hence the deity is said to be a manifestation of the Trimoorthis. The image is adorned with necklaces and other fine jewelry. Images of Sreedevi and Bhudevi are on either side. There is an image of Dakshinamoorthy, in the sanctum facing the south. Dakshinamoorthy is commonly found in Shiva temples. There is also a lamp behind the image which is kept burning all the time. Because of these and also because of the fact that people got relief when troubled by evil spirits chathan-the deity is believed to have a Shiva aspect also."

Hope this helps a little bit.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste

Bhagvat Canto 1 Chapter 3 lists major incarnations of Lord NarayaN/Vishnu, and 18th in the list is Bhagvan Shri RAmchandra

Shrimad Bhagvat 1.3.22
    nara-devatvam āpannaḥ
    sura-kārya-cikīrṣayā
    samudra-nigrahādīni
    cakre vīryāṇy ataḥ param

In the eighteenth incarnation, the Lord appeared as King Rāma. In order to perform some pleasing work for the devas, He exhibited superhuman powers by controlling the Indian Ocean and then killing the atheist King Rāvaṇa, who was on the other side of the sea.

---
    Bhagvat Canto 9 Chapter 10 is about RAmAvatAr, whose descent is described as bhagavAn sAkshAt bramhan' harih

Shrimad Bhagvat 9.10.1
    śrī-śukauvāca
    khaṭvāńgād dīrghabāhuś ca
    raghus tasmātpṛthu-śravāḥ
    ajas tato mahā-rājas
    tasmād daśaratho 'bhavat
    Śukadeva Gosvāmī said: The son of Mahārāja Khaṭvāńga was Dīrghabāhu, and his son was the celebrated Mahārāja Raghu. From Mahārāja Raghu came Aja, and from Aja was born the great personality Mahārāja Daśaratha.

SB 9.10.2
    tasyāpibhagavāneṣa
    sākṣād brahmamayo hariḥ
    aḿśāḿśena caturdhāgāt
    putratvaḿ prārthitaḥ suraiḥ
    rāma-lakṣmaṇa-bharata-
    śatrughnā iti saḿjñayā
    Being prayed for by the demigods, BhagavAn Hari, the Absolute Truth (sAkshAt Bramhan) Himself, directly appeared with His expansion and expansions of the expansion. Their holy names were Rāma, Lakṣmaṇa, Bharata and Śatrughna. These celebrated incarnations thus appeared in four forms as the sons of Mahārāja Daśaratha.

Please note "bhagavAn esha sAkshAd bramhamayo harih"

shri rAma rAmam rameti rame rame manorame
    sahasranAma tattulyam rama nama varanane

--

PS: In case you want these to link "Ram is Vishnu and Ram worshiped Shiv therefore Vishnu worships Shiv" -- that is no secret that

they are each other's ArAdhya Dev (Worshippable Beloved Deity).

I shall post 2 lovely videos from ram and krshna avatar regarding this.
    Last edited by smaranam; 24 February 2015 at 12:46 AM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Namaste Soul of Light Ji,

Thanks.

Namaste Viraja Ji,

Many years ago when I was passing through Bhadrachalam, I thought of visiting the temple but I missed the darshan as the temple was closed a few minutes before we entered the temple.I felt really sad then.My relatives visited the temple last month and got prasadam for me.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Namaste
    Namaste Smaranam Ji,

Thanks for the references.

In case you want these to link "Ram is Vishnu and Ram worshiped Shiv therefore Vishnu worships Shiv"

I don't have such intentions,if I had then I would have posted in the Jalpa sub forums.I feel

Shiva vs Vishnu debates are waste of time and energy,instead of indulging in jalpa one could do Sadhana.

Anyways,I will share a few words on Lord Vishnu from the Tirumantiram,the core text of Shaiva Siddhanta,which I am studying at the moment.

From the invocation shlokas of the TM:

107: Trinity Are Kin
    But if we thus the soul of truth probe and bare,
    Aya nor Mal to us no alien Beings are
    But Indissolubly Kin to Nandi, the Three Eyed
    Blessed be ye all by the Heavenly Three.

*Aya=Brahma Deva
    *Mal=Lord Vishnu
    *Nandi=Lord Shiva

Mal to us no alien Beings are=Us(to the Shaivas),Lord Vishnu is no alien,He is verily our own,a Kin to Lord Shiva.

108: Trinity Are Co-Equals
    Lying prostrate I adored the Milk-hued One,
    While countless Devas stood around in melting prayers lost;
    Then spoke the Lord to me:
    "To Vishnu and Brahma are I equal".

110: Assign Not Ranks To Trinity
    The ignorant know not,
    So blindly groping, lost in maze of words,
    Isa, Mal and Aya, to graded ranks assign.

*Isa=Lord Shiva

The ignorant = the ones who believe that one Deva among the trinity is greater than the other two and thus assign ranks to the three to are

and many such wise shlokas are there in the Tirumantiram.
    Hope this explains my view.

Could members post some more shlokas on Lord Rama-Vishnu?

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste,

Good good. I never meant "debate" , but conclusion -- that the two are ArAdhya (Worshipable Deities) of each other. There is a big difference. I said I shall be back with video , so here it is - (I hope this will not be considered diversion to the thread - this is beautiful leela of the Supreme)

Shri KRshNa sings to Shiva (starts @10.00)
    When DwarakAdheesh (Shri KRshNa-VAsudev i.e. Lord VishNu) is fighting Indra to get the ParajAt VRksha (celestial PArijAt tree) to earth on Satyabhama's behest , it is sandhyAvandan time -- break time which happens to be Mahashivratri. KRshNa goes to a mountain to Worship Lord Shiva.
    KRshNa wishes for Shiv darshan, and a big Shiv linga manifests there. He asks AkAsh Ganga (the original celestial Ganga) to flow so He can do the abhishek. Ganga (and devatA) provide all materials for pUja.
    Interesting is how the two lords venerate each other. Here Dwarkadheesh Shri KrshNa performs the vinamra leelA of asking Shiva for His blessings -- like humans. Shiva acknowledges that despite being trilokinath (Lord of the 3 worlds) He is performing this humble leela. Shiva says whoever sings this stotra sung by Shri KrshNa to venerate Me will please Me and this location will become a holy place of Shiva called Vilveshar. Just note what the Two of them have arranged in a matter of moments.

2. Another video is from RamayaN -- Shri RAm is about to accept the SihAsan (royal throne) when Shiva Parvati appear there in the guise of Sadhu Sadhvi. RAm and Shankar venerate each other and argue that the other is the Deva and "I am the bhakta"
    Shiva says "I will be blessed and fortunate to see You, my Lord, ascend the royal throne of Ayodhya"
    Shri RAm says "I want Your blessings"...
    The whole interaction gives a lot of bliss to the Rshis and Rajguru assembled there.

I cannot find that piece right now.

Jai Shri Ram
    Last edited by smaranam; 24 February 2015 at 12:48 AM.

Shrimad Bhagvat 9.10.12
    dagdhvātma-kṛtya-hata-kṛtyam ahan kabandhaḿ
    sakhyaḿ vidhāya kapibhir dayitā-gatiḿ taiḥ
    buddhvātha vālini hate plavagendra-sainyair
    velām agāt sa manujo 'ja-bhavārcitāńghriḥ

Lord Rāmacandra, whose lotus feet are worshiped by Lord Brahmā and Lord Śiva, (aja - bhava archita) had assumed the form of a human being. Thus He performed the funeral ceremony of Jaṭāyu, who was killed by Rāvaṇa. The Lord then killed the demon named Kabandha, and after making friends with the monkey chiefs, killing Vāli and arranging for the deliverance of mother Sītā, He went to the beach of the ocean.

The ocean glorifies Shri RAm the Supreme Lord
    Shrimad Bhagvat 9.10.14na tvāḿ vayaḿ jaḍa-dhiyo nu vidāma bhūman
    kūṭa-stham ādi-puruṣaḿ jagatām adhīśam
    yat-sattvataḥ sura-gaṇā rajasaḥ prajeśā
    manyoś ca bhūta-patayaḥ sa bhavān guṇeśaḥ

O all-pervading Supreme Person, we are dull-minded and did not understand who You are, but now we understand that You are the Supreme Person, the master of the entire universe, the unchanging and original Supreme Person. The deva (sura-gaNa) are infatuated with the mode of goodness, the Prajāpatis (manu) with the mode of passion, and the lord of ghosts (bhuta-pati) with the mode of ignorance, but You are the master of all these qualities.

Shri RAm is adhokshaja (One of KrshNa's names called out in VishNusahasranAma) -- Description of rAm-rAjya :
    Shrimad Bhagvat 9.10.53
    nādhi-vyādhi-jarā-glāni-
    duḥkha-śoka-bhaya-klamāḥ
    mṛtyuś cānicchatāḿ nāsīd
    rāme rājany adhokṣaje

When Lord Rāmacandra, the Supreme Lord VishNu i.e adhokshaja (One Who is beyond the knowledge acquired by the senses), was the King of this world, all bodily and mental suffering, disease, old age, bereavement, lamentation, distress, fear and fatigue were completely absent. There was even no death for those who did not want it.

This term appears in VishNu sahasranAma

vaikuntah-purushah-praaNah-praaNadah-praNavah-pruthuhu |
    hiraNyagarbhah-shatrughnO-vyaaptO-vaayur-adhOkshajaha ||

Shri RAm refered to as 'namo bramhaNya devAya'
    'uttamshloka' 'akunTha-medhasa' -- all names and references to Lord VishNu

Shrimad Bhagvat 9.11.7
    namo brahmanÌ£ya-devÄya
    rÄmÄyÄkunÌ£tÌ£ha-medhase
    uttamaÅ›loka-dhuryÄya
    nyasta-danÌ£dÌ£ÄrpitÄÅ„ghraye

O Lord, You are the Supreme Person, Bramhan, who have accepted the brÄhmanÌ£as as Your worshipable deity. Your knowledge and memory are never disturbed by anxiety. You are the chief of all famous persons within this world, and Your lotus feet are worshiped by sages who are beyond the jurisdiction of punishment. O Lord RÄmacandra, let us offer our respectful obeisances unto You.

Uttamshloka = One who is praised. glorified, described by the highest, best, most beautiful verses.

akunTha-medhasa = One whose intellect is unlimited

There is a shloka after VishNusahasranAma

namo bramhaNya devAya go brAmhaN hitAya cha
    jagaddhitAya KRshNAya govindAva namo namah:

Salutations to Govinda, the Supreme Brahman Who is the dear Lord of the brAmhaNa folks, Who is the well-wisher of, and always benefits and protects the cows / senses and brAmhaNas, the well-wisher of the entire world.

Shri KRshNa is uttamshloka, medhAvI, bramhaNya deva, govinda

Namaste Ram11 ji,
    Your welcome
    When I have time I will search more such slokas,
    Pranam

Namaste smaranam ji,
    Namaste

Bhagvat Canto 1 Chapter 3 lists major incarnations of Lord NarayaN/Vishnu, and 18th in the list is Bhagvan ramchandra
    I know only dashavatar, can you tell me about this incarnations?
    To avoid from going thread off topic you can also pm me
    Thanx
    Pranam
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Thread Information