Thread: Is Sri Manibhadra ?

Is Sri Manibhadra ?

Namashkar!

I was searching about deities in India, and I came across Sri Manibhadra from the 'Jain dharma'.

He looked really familiar to me, then I remembered Sri Varaha who is Sri Vishnu's avatar. Both of them look so similar because of the yellow robe, which is also the symbol of Vaishnavism.

What made me think that they may be the same, was that they have some of the same weapons, and Sri Varaha picks up the world with his head, while Sri Manibhadra also picks up a temple(?).

Sri Manibhadra:

Sri Varaha:
    Last edited by chakreshvari; 25 February 2015 at 06:48 PM.

Re: Is Sri Manibhadra ?

Nobody knows?

manibhadra is not Sri Maha Vishnu, most likely a corrupted version dubbed in jainism.

Maha Vishnu although all forms are his and he is beyond forms, he came to us as shanka chakra gadha dhari and he has 4 hands, wherever he is, Vishnu has 4 hands, even when the supreme Narayana tattvam was born as Krushna , he was born with 4 hands but upon insistence of devaki and vasudeva, he withdrew 2 hands

Namaste chakreshvari ji,

Yes and no. It's a little more complicated than that. What you're seeing is a Jain fusion of two traditions about two different individuals. Śrī Māṇibhadra was originally a leader of the yakṣas, a type of being associated with forests, and a protector of travelers. He appears in the itihāsas (the Hindu epic scriptures known as the Rāmāyaṇa and the Mahābhārata). He is also mentioned as a yakṣa in Jain and Buddhist sources.

Gradually, in the 14th century, worship of him became important to the Tapā Gaccha monastic sect of the Śvetāmbara Jains, who began to see him as not only a protector of "trading caravans," but also their own protector and patron deity. They saw him as holy figure who had once been a righteous Jain layman. Some said that he had been a selfless Jain king. At some point Jain traditions about Śrī Māṇibhadra incorporated traditions about the Varāha avatāra of Lord Viṣnu from Vaiṣṇavas (Viṣnu devotees). The story and the iconography are clearly "borrowed" (with some modifications) from the varāhāvatāra. The resemblance is unmistakable and the Vaiṣṇava teachings about Śrī Varāha are considerably older.

praṇām
    śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Thread Information