Thread: Ayurveda and Natural Hygiene

Ayurveda and Natural Hygiene

Aea hefeekeerohevoh galeh yuvo (Oh My Gosh!)!

Ah (catching my wits), namaste.

I was reading on a web site the following:

"No doubt Caraka conceived the germ theory of the causation of diseases, but he rejected the idea that germs are the only causative factors for disease. On the other hand, he had advanced the theory that it is the imbalance of dosas and vitiation of dhatus which are primary causes of diseases, and various germs may grow in the body only when they get such a congenial environment. Both for metabolic diseases and infective ones, correction of the imbalance of dosas and dhatus constitutes the basic principle of all therapeutics. This is a unique feature of the Ayurvedic concept of diseases and their management as enunciated by Caraka in his monumental work.

"Surprisingly, Caraka is very modern in his emphasis on the prevention of diseases than on cure. Similarly, the theories of immunity, digestion and metabolism are quite mundane. Caraka's description of the general nursing home, maternity home, medical ethics, emphasis on experimental scientific methodology, repudiation of dogmatism, heredity and many advanced concepts of pathogenesis and management of diseases bears testimony to its relevance today."

I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS! I knew about this because I studied Natural Hygiene very thoroughly over 20 years ago. This is where the knowledge of NH came from! I just wonder how it made its way into the NH text books of the now-defunct Life Science Institute, which existed until about late '97. I even worked for them as a shipper, shipping out the course books for over two years. Anyway, this is how I see health, from that model of health rather than the model of disease, which is what western medicine is based on. I had no idea that I was living in a perspective originating from India!

Re: Ayurveda and Natural Hygiene

Quote Originally Posted by deafAncient View Post
    Aea hefeekeerohevoh galeh yuvo (Oh My Gosh!)!

Ah (catching my wits), namaste.

I was reading on a web site the following:

"No doubt Caraka conceived the germ theory of the causation of diseases, but he rejected the idea that germs are the only causative factors for disease.
    Well, disease can also have a chemical source, for example various kinds of poisoning, like with lead, iodine, or fluoride in too great an amount.

But typically diseases are caused by germs, as with malaria.

Hari Om!

But as in another view, what would attract a disease state to an individual in the first place? Some exposed to a flu virus do not catch the flu while others do. How do you explain this? Immunity yes, but then again, how did that person attract the immunity to the disease? It is a vicious argument at best.

Om

Namaste!
    Thank you for writing. I think you were addressing me when you said:
    Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

But as in another view, what would attract a disease state to an individual in the first place? Some exposed to a flu virus do not catch the flu while others do. How do you explain this? Immunity yes, but then again, how did that person attract the immunity to the disease? It is a vicious argument at best.

Om
    What I think you are trying to get at is the question of purely naturalistic, easy-to-understand- materialistic explanations of disease and health.

I think that at one level since the world works at a purely material plane it will be impossible to disprove the materialistic theory. And so we can say that every healthy person tries to attract immunity to a disease, because they have an immune system. And you can go study biology and learn how immune systems target "foreign bodies". They aim to identify and fight infections from real germs under the microscope.

HOWEVER, such an explanation is not a pure full answer of everything. For example, did you know that in some studies, a person who acts generously to help others will, at that moment, have a boost in their immune system?

And how do you understand placebos to work if there is zero real medicine in a placebo pill?

This is why there may be a nonmaterial aspect to what happens.
    Last edited by rakovsky; 26 September 2016 at 03:08 PM.

hariḥ om̐
    ~~~~~~

svāgata (hello)

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!
    But as in another view, what would attract a disease state to an individual in the first place?
    Om
    The term gives us a hint: dis - ease. The repeated condition or repetition of dis-ease brings ill health. What then is 'ease' ? Balance.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information