Thread: Finding a guru

Finding a guru

Namaste,
    where can one find a guru without being involved with specific organization? I'm saying organization because I live in Europe and all we have are different organizations that support specific tradition. Probably there are some smaller groups, but I can't say I know them.
    Since I'm not able to define myself as a follower of any specific tradition (my views go along with advaita, I love to chant Siva mantras, but I also love to chant Hare Krishna mantra, I'm interested in all yoga aspects, can't say it's just bhakti or karma yoga etc.) and since I'm yearning to learn technique that would help me in self-realization and realization of Truth/Absolute, it seems that I need someone to help me cross some obstacles and continue with safety.
    I e-mailed some swamis, but I got no response.
    I was wondering if there are some gurus who are available and ready to work with somebody who's far away.

OM

Re: Finding a guru

Hari Om!

Your desire to "get down to work" is commendable but please do not rush into the process of acquiring a guru as it simply doesn't work that way. My opinion is the ones that give mass diksha often don't have the personal one on one time that it seems you want. It is also said, from my experience, and what I truly believe with my entire being is that Guru finds you, not the other way around. This will occur without affiliation but how will One come to know you if there is no exposure. Attend satsang of a variety. Talk to people. Be out there and available.

Please don't dismiss what has been written here or become discouraged. Several before you on the forums have asked the same question some with a great deal of impatience. Trust me, it will come when the time is right. In my case, 43 years! Hang in there.

All the best.

Om

Thank you c.smith. I can be very impatient, but I know that this whole waiting is a part of spiritual development.

The actual Guru process, that is WHO is a Guru, is a lineage one to the next and goes back to typically a Devata (such as Brahma for example) but in some cases an advanced and pure savant/yogi/devotee, from one Guru there can come more than one "initiating Guru" (thus it is not necessarily a one to one relationship). These initiating Gurus accept those who are ready (in the eyes of such Guru) to receive a (typically) mantra and to learn of the history and teachings of thr lineage (these are typically called sampradaya)... so, as you can see, these lineages, which are typycally very, very old and go way back in time, are "sort of" like the "organization" which perhaps you make reference of.

So in my opinion there is no real alternative to the "organization".... however there are different types of Gurus which do not require the same type of commitment, but ... I think you are looking for the "real thing".

Now there are some cases of a Devata directly appearing to a "devotee" and in this way the Devata is the Guru. But mostly the lineage process is common.

Since there is a physical aspect to initiation from the Guru, no there really isn't a "virtual" or "web" or "remote" (non-face to face) process, anyway it is not typical at all the you seek a Guru and then get initiated, rather it is a process where you engage in various Hindu activities and works, and then at some point as you are expressing the spirit, then a Guru picks you, you do not pick the Guru.

You might also consider the process of being given a special endowment from a sadhu or ascetic, but most Westerners are timid and fearful of true sadhus and too thin in the skin to be involved. But this is another way, but you would really need to travel to India to pursue this.

Part of what may help some other to help you is to get from you a sense of which Devas or Devi seems to be your communion? Then one can see, perhaps you are a Shakta, or Saiva or Vaishnav in soul.

A word of warning. Those who are ACTUAL Guru and happen to be from "Western" heritage are very rare. Some are fakirs, some are New Age and such. There are also fake Gurus from Indian heritage, but I would recommend those from India but even more important to see that they come from a lineage and are not just "self-proclaimed"

Which Devata or Devi? Even if you are a Mayavadi, there must be One. This would be helpful.

Harih Om,
    it is difficult for me to answer this question, but I will try to explain some things as best as I can. I find my philosophy in advaita, although I understand personalists and a need for personal God. I see God as Absolute, oneness in everything and whatever I do I start with Om chanting. I think I have both jnana and bhakti aspect very active.

I was chanting both Siva and Krsna mantras and I feel attraction to both Siva and Krsna. Krsna attraction goes with bahjan- somehow Vaishnav bahjan opens me in a strange way- it has some ethereal kindness that makes me want to listen to it on repeat, but I do not think I share Vaishnav philosophy although Hare Krsna mantra is like a sedative, I love to chant it. I do not like that strong separation regarding female and male aspects. Vaishnav philosophy seems to be not so friendly toward women and I sometimes see it as passive- waiting for mercy and serving, although metaphysically I can see greater meaning behind that (I am saying this from what I have experienced by now, from reading Prabhupada and hearing from Prema bhakti chandrika).

Shiva bahjan and Shiva mantras are something I immediately reach for. I am interested in yoga practice, I want to learn yoga techniques- how to control prana for example, kundalini yoga (I am practicing yoga, at the moment with swami of one tradition, who is a great teacher, but I can not say I feel attracted to their lineage. On the other side, I haven't met his guru, the founder of that school, but I just don't see myself among millions of disciples of a particular guru, because I can not see how I can learn anything from someone who probably won't have time to communicate with me and who is far away.

First mantra I ever heard was Om Namah Shivaya. I also did some Ganesh mantras.
    It is like heart wants to be open, but mind wants knowledge, independence and strength.

I only have experience with people in those traditions and with some who are members of Art of Living, but I have never attended any sanga by them. Those vaishnavs and Haidhakan Babaji followers don't have their organizations here, but only programs (vaishnavs regurarly, H.B. once a month).

Besides, only helpers I have are Vivekananda's books plus some about mantra yoga and chakra meditation.

I would love to be able to discuss scriptures, know on what to focus myself, know I can have someone to talk to when things happen during meditative practice etc.

Om

Thread Information