Thread: Best Ways to Become A Part of the Community

Best Ways to Become A Part of the Community

Hello,

What are some ways to best become a part of the Hindu community?

I know that their is going to the local temple and internet groups such like this one, but what are some others that you can think of?

Thank you!

-Noor.

Re: Best Ways to Become A Part of the Community

Vannakkam Noor... Tough question. Perhaps going to cultural events that groups organise might be another way. Here we have many state based cultural organisations like the Tamil Association of Alberta, thge Gujatrati Association etc. But the problem with that is generally language. It's the peoples' chance to speak with others in their first language.

I think the temple is still the primary way.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Noor View Post
    What are some ways to best become a part of the Hindu community?
    To me becoming part of the community means associating with other Hindus in real life. For that in the Western setting, one has to partake in the 'prasad' after the puja at the mandir. That is like a social hour when you could find people in your own age group to talk to, to befriend and then hang out with them. Maybe visit them and also invite them to your house. It is all common things that we do to associate with like minded people, the starting point being establishing contacts in a social setting, which is the prasad hour at the mandir. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Pranam.

Hari Om!

In my experience, there are always one or two at the madir that take to westerners and welcome them into the fold. I was fortunate enough to have a wise Panditji to mentor me and it is a true treasure to sit with tea still today. I trust that you will find the same.

Om

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

To me becoming part of the community means associating with other Hindus in real life.
    ^ This. So much this. Establishing connections in real life does far more to help one along the path than any online community would. Not trying to devalue this forum, no way, but Hindus in real life can give a far greater feeling of acceptance than anything you might read on the internet.

Namaskar,

I took a note from a post I made some time ago, lamenting the lack of public festival events. I'm far from starting a local Chaturthi Visarjan Parade, but maybe someday.

Where I work there are a lot of Indian colleagues, either immigrated or on work and student visas. So on Diwali I worked with our building to reserve a conference room and advertise a pot-luck afternoon event.

We did it again for Holi, and this time even more people came. A bunch of people brought colors and we had a fun - if cold - free-for-all out in the snow. It is so nice to have colors to look at instead of white and grey!

They say Holi colors shouldn't stain, but I'm starting to think I'm never going to get them out of my winter coat... probably didn't help that when I got home we just went and did it again. Guess I should have planned that one out better.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

I think going to the temple is the best way.i do the same.i am lucky that I have lot of Hindu friends who have always helped me to be a part of Hindu community.

Thread Information