Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where in India to live?

Where in India to live?

Sigh...

Namaste to all,

The more I study SD and the Indic culture, the more I realize that I may have to have a bugout plan, meaning where do I go when American falls, and the more I realize that I don't fit within this kind of society as I gain more knowledge of how far behind my own society is.

If I were to immigrate to India, where would I go, and why? Please provide details about the region you recommend, if you live there. I would probably prefer the southern region, mainly for weather reasons.

I NEVER thought I would be asking these questions, but it is what it is.

Re: Where in India to live?

Quote Originally Posted by deafAncient View Post
    Sigh...

Namaste to all,

The more I study SD and the Indic culture, the more I realize that I may have to have a bugout plan, meaning where do I go when American falls, and the more I realize that I don't fit within this kind of society as I gain more knowledge of how far behind my own society is.

If I were to immigrate to India, where would I go, and why? Please provide details about the region you recommend, if you live there. I would probably prefer the southern region, mainly for weather reasons.

I NEVER thought I would be asking these questions, but it is what it is.

Namaste Ji,

I always think about this but due to modern day constraints I stay in a city.

I do not know much about you but I will say a few words based on my feelings.

My elders said that in the past a person's life,a King's life,a region's life would revolve around a temple.Everything,everybody was associated with a temple.

My ideal home would be in a temple town.I like huge,ancient temples with great architecture and long history.In such temples one can to sit anywhere and meditate.It would be very good to visit such temples daily.It is a calming,healing and recharging center.

Also,it would be in the Southern states of Tamil Nadu,Andhra or Karnataka because although I have never studied the Vedas myself I like them very much.I read in an article that Brahmins in most places in India have lost the proper swaras(tones) for chanting the Vedas(due to invasions etc.) but the Southerners have been able to preserve.In most Southern temples one can still see a Guru teaching Sishyas(students) the Veda,there are mandapas(halls) for doing Chaturveda Adhyayana/Parayana(Study).One can't adequately describe the beauty of the Vedas.

In temples,wise Pandithas(scholars) often give Dharmic discourses, enlighten people and guide them.One could listen to morals stories from Puranas,Itihasas,Dharmas Shastras etc.

There are elaborate rituals conducted through out the year and one can participate in them by contributing some flowers or items or some simple service or just visit.So many festivals are there and life is very colorful.

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Post deleted, with my apologies.
    Last edited by Webimpulse; 10 March 2015 at 10:51 AM. Reason: deletion of post

Dear WebImpulse, Please do not be upset.

It is nice that both of you see the beauty of Hinduism or SanAtana Dharma. However, this is not what it teaches.

As I said earlier, the Sat-Chit-Ananda is VAsudeva, is everywhere and we have to find Him (or Her) or even it for those who prefer it irrespective of where we are. Then the surroundings will bloom for ourselves and others irrespective of the geographical location.

EkAnta - solitary bliss of VAsudeva

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Namaste,

Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India is one option.

It is located midway between the Northern and Southern national boundaries, has relatively temperate climate and has quite a few mandirs. Travel time to other parts of the country would be less than if one was located in one corner of the country. Linguistically, you would have Hindi speaking people around you where you can pick up the national language. In some of the other states, learning the local language will enable you to converse with only the people of that state.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=6

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=45724

http://www.ixigo.com/temples-in-indore-lp-1145304

With everything said, I have not personally been there, so take the information for what it is worth.

Pranam.

PS, Another city, Nagpur is right smack in the center of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Namaste DeafAncient,

At least you have the ability and option to move to India and change your citizenship. Just think about all the poor people of America who also want to move out for the reasons you say, but can't, due to socioeconomic reasons.

Like me for instance. I don't have the money to travel to India, let alone move there. And trust me, I have wanted to move out on several occasions through my 31-year life. Sure, I may be white but that doesn't mean I'm rich. Also consider my medical issues that also inhibit my ability to live abroad. (And no, I'm not saying America has great medical care, what I am saying is that my medical issues contribute to me being stuck.)

Do I deserve to suffer like you say, simply because of the nation I was born in? (Which I had no choice in the matter, by the way.) Are you saying it's karma? That I have to share the same fate as the worst my country has produced, just by my association that I had no choice in?

Oh, maybe I had done something in my past life to justify this. I don't care. I want out and I'm not getting it. Don't tell me I deserve it.

Next time think about that when you move out. If you were really so righteous, you'd offer to take people with you.

Be careful about jumping to conclusions about statements people make. What you just now did in your post might be why you you are stuck here as a white person. Or maybe it just happened that way. You ended up with a defective body. I did, too. I am born-deaf, and I had to have cataract surgery, and I'm not even 50 yet... I live inside the bible belt, and I'm just FED UP with how shandha people are treated in this region. Some towns have NO GROCERY STORES and TWO CHURCHES. Completely misplaced priorities.

I did not say that you or other people deserve to suffer. What I DID say is that I am not happy with the way people here behave and how society functions with a "wood-burning" mindset instead of a "growing-and-making-garlands" mindset.

Who said anything about offering to take people with me? I have maybe $8,000 in total life savings, live in a travel trailer, have no family of my own, and no viable job skills to speak of in a trade skills or village setting. I'm in the bottom "castes" of American society.

What is another solution that doesn't require leaving America? My problem is, I'm an Ancient, and the closest I can come to beliefs is someone Sanātani without a personal god. In the circles I run in, there's no one who is Sanātani. I know one who claims to be Sanātani, "loves Advaita Vedanta," but has no idea what it really entails, others are not "religious, but spiritual," and the rest are Christians, some out to get me and some not. Sanātanis are rare where I live, and they are mainly from overseas or first-generation born to immigrants.

Barring immigration to India, I sure would like to find out where American traditional Sanātanis are.

dear friend , ,
    you can think of a city like Bangalore ,. where there is cosmopolitan culture along with quite a few religious places near by. You can do a job and fend for your self .It is very easy to find a congenial atmosphere, whether food wise or language wise or accommodation wise. Weekends you can travel to nearby religious places.

Vannakkam Deafanciant:

I appreciate the idea of moving to India, and have considered it myself. However, in practical terms moving countries isn't all that easy. I would highly recommend the India travel forum Indiamike as a resource.

Yes there are ways, like marrying an Indian citizen. But far more normally are things like student visas, or continually renewing visiting visas. To renew a 6 month visa, you have to do it from outside the country, so many who 'live' there go to Sri Lanka or Nepal for a week, every six months. and have to stay for a week. Illegal aliens atre tossed in jail, and that's something you don't want.

I'm not sure how the idea of just moving countries so easily comes up. Even between Canada and the US, considered great allies, it is some challenge.

Best wishes in any decisions in this regard.

Aum namasivaya

Namaste Ji,

Senior members have given a lot of valuable advice ,I suggest that you think about it.

I would like to add to what Smaranam Ji said.

This is one among my favorite sayings of the 12th century Vira Shaiva Saint Sri Basaveshwara:

Basavanna says:

The wealthy build temples of Lord Shiva,

What can I, a poor person, do?

My legs are pillars,

My body itself is the temple,

My head is the golden cupola,

Hear me O,Lord Kudalasangama

The static has an end

But the dynamic has none.

*Koodalasangama Deva-The Lord of meeting rivers (an epithet of Lord Shiva)

The rich can build temples. What can I, a poor person, do?
    But I build a different kind of temple.
    My body itself is the shrine, with legs as pillars and head as the golden tower.
    A temple that is built is stationary.
    But my body moves. It is with me wherever I go. That is why it does not perish.
    What is made of matter perishes.
    The soul, the spiritual, is everlasting.
    That this body itself should be made a holy shrine is a message of immense value. We should be able to see God in this temple of our body.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I appreciate the idea of moving to India, and have considered it myself. However, in practical terms moving countries isn't all that easy.

I'm not sure how the idea of just moving countries so easily comes up. Even between Canada and the US, considered great allies, it is some challenge
    Exactly my feelings. Many times it is an escape fantasy to the promised land where everything will fall into place and life will be simpler. Alas, that land just does not exist. Most people there are non-practicing Hindus who toil long hours to keep their heads above water. With no money and no commitment to any particular sampradaye, one cannot even feel comfortable living in an ashram. But, it is nice to dream of that fairy land which exists only at Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by deafAncient View Post
    What is another solution that doesn't require leaving America? My problem is, I'm an Ancient, and the closest I can come to beliefs is someone Sanātani without a personal god.

Barring immigration to India, I sure would like to find out where American traditional Sanātanis are.
    You are looking for a Sanatani without a personal god - no, American traditional Sanatanis, a whole bunch of them to associate with? A group of people who conform to your exact brand of Sanatani? Aren't the expectations unreal.

Pranam.

Thread Information