Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where in India to live?

Re: Where in India to live?

Vannakkam: I think everyone should travel to India, a nice long pilgrimage, stay somewhere for 3 months or so. It's a valuable experience. Do it a few times even.

But I can't tell you how many times at my temple I've heard the following, or something very similar.

"Wow. Why go to India? India is right here!"

Aum Namasivaya

Dear DA and WI,

I live in India and I love my country. However, I would advise both of you to think well before taking a decision to migrate. In India, you don't get the social security that you take for granted in USA. Getting a job which would help you earn sufficient enough to live a descent life is not going to be so easy in India as it can be in USA unless you have special skills.

Joining Ashrams etc. can grant you some basic amenities and spiritual ambience but you must get as much knowledge about Ashrams as you can before deciding to join them. The life may not be to your liking there.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

I have had incredible "luck" in my life... in that not only have I had opportunities to travel to India, but in the "early years" (I am now 59 but I speak of my youth) incredibly others even paid my way just to have me with them in India.

Along the way I met others from "the West" who actually lived in India for extended periods of time. You see, you are seeking a heartful call to go to India, so yes travel there at first. But the key is ASSOCIATION. Find other Hindus where you live now, they are in a sense India too. Be with them. In time, you will go. But first be with them.

I could move to India very easily, actually. In fact I have relatives with property - actual homes - in both Kolkata and Mumbai. Neither are currently occupied. And in fact, sometimes I stay in the Kolkata residence which is in Chowringhee and in an incredible location as far as convenience and nice place. So I could I guess move to India ... for example, I will be retiring in about Feb of 2016, not very far away. I could ... but likely for now I will retire where ever my daughter goes to attend University, then after I will probably move to B.C. Canada

... you see, I will be also traveling to India, no need to retire there ... until...

... until I find out I am going to soon be dead.

THEN I WILL LEAVE MY FAMILY AND LIVE IN VARANASI TO DIE.

So... how old are you?

Here is a thought. If you find out you will be dead soon, and that is not always easy to know, then I would suggest you move to Varanasi.

But if not dead soon, just travel often to India. Do that first, buy that ticket. Imagine in your mind you are getting your VISA from the Indian Embassy, your passport ready, you buy the ticket in your mind.

Then you will do it. It will all work out.

Namaskar deafAncient,

I don't see why you look down on the US so much... it really has everything to offer. I live in the Bible belt just like you and I have many friends who practice Sanatana Dharma and many friends who moved here from India. I don't see why you are having so much trouble finding these people, unless you are in a very small, rural town. In the larger cities they're everywhere, you just have to know where to look.

Life is REALLY easy here! It's easy to find a job, easy to find a place to live, there is a store for just about anything, etc. I don't think it would be that simple if you were to move to India. Sure, we may be the minority in terms of religious preference, but generally people aren't as judgmental as you are making them out to be. Trust me I know because I am covered in tattoos, a lot of which are tattoos related to Sanatana Dharma, like various gods and goddesses, aum symbol, lotus flowers, etc. and everybody (Christians, elderly people, cowboy-types) is very accepting of me. I am not silent about what I follow either.

I think moving to India would be very hard. I have considered it once or twice myself, but my intelligence tells me that visiting would be a much better idea than trying to live there. There is honestly no reason to move there, everything is right here in the USA.

We need not go to some place, thinking that only there we will find perfect conditions for interior life and meditation. Rather, we carry right within us the ideal place for spiritual opening: our own spirit, our true Self. So try looking within rather than without and I assure you that you will find what you are looking for.

Love & Light,
    LightofOm
    Last edited by LightofOm; 16 March 2015 at 01:42 PM.
    ॐ मृत्युंजयाय रुद्राय नीलकण्ठाय शम्भवे l
    अमृतेशाय शर्वाय महादेवाय ते नम: ll

Sanātana Dharma Worldwide

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 March 2015 at 08:52 PM.

Namaste deafAncient,

as other have stated and like you, I also have a dream of perhaps spending late retirement in India, should I find a good place, but I recognize it as mostly a dream. Oh I hope it will happen, but as others have pointed out, it is hard to do on many levels. The only way to understand I think is to go. It's beautiful and gentle and fierce and ancient and new all at once. Of the places I've been, I agree with many of the suggestions here: Tamil Nadu and Andhra states are good, and I also quite loved Indore, but I would also add Lucknow. But there are so many places i haven't seen either... Bangalore is lovely, but get ready for the worst traffic on the planet. The thing is, both the economy and the culture is very different, not in a bad way but just different. It will be difficult to live there, regardless of your status here.

This country does have its detractors, but it also has it's good points, I agree. As you said to WI, perhaps there's a good reason you took a life here and now? Maybe to help fix the problem rather than running from it. The Bible belt can be really tough in some areas. There are good places there though, and some in the North too, but it seems weather is an issue for you? There is at least one large temple and thus likely big communities in California, there are some in Texas too, you just have to search for them. Google for Hindu Temples and organizations in the US, you will come up with all kinds of ideas.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Thumbs Up Re: Where in India to live?

Mumbai is the best place to live.Every Mumbaikar Lives his life with such a Spirit and we salute them. I dedicate this site to all of you who travel daily throughLocalTransportation. Here you will find everything you need to know about Local Transportation. Local Train Schedules, Timings for all the Trains on all the routes, Mumbai Local Train Map . if you want to make a weekend trip with your family and friends.
    to know more about mumbai visit:http://mumbailocaltraintimetable.net/

Namaskar Gurujana,
    Well I am an Indian resident.I am proud of my country and what is it.But as it is said "Be Careful What You Wish For" and I agree with what devotee ji said.You might think you are in problem living where you are but is it really that or it is just the affinity towards India and the Indian Culture.Just think twice before making any decision.Well I should not advice anyone here as almost everybody has more knowledge and experience here than me.But as we say we learn something from everyone whether old or young.So that is what I am saying.

The Grass is always Green on the other side of the fence.But it might not be the reality.The Ashrams and all may not be suited to you or even us I guess who live in India because we know what is happening there nowadays.It is very difficult to find a Genuine Ashram or Guru these day.I am not berating my own country or my religion or anything for that matter,I am just telling you what should be told as it should not harm you.Here,there are some problems that we have to face day in and day out-employment,electricity,water facilities etc are a few of them.India might not be the Fantasy Land that you have read about in books or some where else.

Dhanyavad.
    Hari bol

I've also ruminated on the thought of settling down during my retirement years somewhere down South of India, the place where I hail from. I've always desired to live in a 'kshetram' or temple city, quite small, that has a temple tank in addition - in essence a small, quiet town with not much activity but lot of temple related ones to occupy! Language will be no barrier for me, as also the food. It may not be cosmopolitan and may not have many interesting people to interact with - but I will dearly miss the Western clothes I am accustomed to! Also even if I was born and brought-up there, owing to having spent a number of years in the West, there might be some sort of culture shock in a near village. Also the weather and water may not be to my liking. The skyrocketed cost of living may seem nothing now, when I think of it sitting at the West, but after retirement when I have to spend from my savings, may mean a fortune. I may not end up having many friends or an active social life due to lack of finding enough agemates with similar background. But then if I decide to settle down in a Cosmopolitan city, the daily day-to-day activities may take up so much of my time and attention that I may not feel much spiritually inclined! The crowd may turn me off. In many places, there may not be as-convenient transportation facilities, water supply may be a problem, I may have to depend on hiring maids (which is against my policy) for part of the daily workload as air pollution might deposit much dirt around the household that washing clothes every day and wiping the floors everyday may be a must. Then I have to think of paying them fairly! And the list goes on...

I'm just wondering aloud some of the differences between life on the West and live on a different country as India, and I think many of my thoughts will be a standard for anyone wanting to migrate similarly!

Cheers!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaskāra to all.

I've given this a lot of thought, and I'm reminded that the key is people, which means I need to surround myself with as many Sanātanis as possible. Thank you.

Praṇāma

Thread Information