Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticky for Authentic translations

Sticky for Authentic translations

Namaste to Admins,

We need a sticky within the Scriptures forum listing for AUTHENTIC translations of the scriptures and sacred writings. I've had to dump PDFs of books when I discovered the missionary/co-oped western indologist/neoHindu status of the translator, or when I read enough to get the gist of the direction the translator is trying to guide you in.

Please...

Re: Sticky for Authentic translations

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by deafAncient View Post
    We need a sticky within the Scriptures forum listing for AUTHENTIC translations of the scriptures and sacred writings.
    The problem with the so called AUTHENTIC translations is that people following different paths within SD think of translations that line up with their thought process as authentic. To some ISKCON is a poison pill, others claim Advaita or Dwaita following, and yet others discard all murthi puja and claim the supreme to be formless. To many Westerners, the swamis who amalgamate SD with their existing Abrahamic leanings speak the 'truth'. So, to everyone, the translations done by the priests/gurus/acharyas of their preference sound authentic and everything else defective. Given that as the backdrop, I am not sure if it is possible to project one set of translations as AUTHENTIC. The Parmahansa Yogananda, the Brahmkumaris, the Arya Samajis, the 'Divine Love followers', the ISKCONites and a million other variations, all have their own interpretations and all claim to be authentic SD. Under the circumstances, it might be difficult to come up with 'A List'. Here is a treasure trove of one set of authentic translations done by some revered acharyas,
    http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4544

Best wishes.

Pranam.

Namaste Believer,

Thank you for the link!

Namaste deafAncient Ji,

Which tradition of Hinduism do you feel you belong to?
    What are your favorite texts?What kind of religious activities do you do daily(Puja/Japa/Yoga/Dhyana etc.)?

Could you remove the word deaf from you profile name,honestly it doesn't feel good to address a person as deaf Ji.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post
    Namaste deafAncient Ji,

What are your favorite texts?What kind of religious activities do you do daily(Puja/Japa/Yoga/Dhyana etc.)?

Could you remove the word deaf from you profile name,honestly it doesn't feel good to address a person as deaf Ji.
    Have you been following his posts in the last 3-4 weeks, or were you on vacation?

Pranam.

Namaste Believer Ji
    I think dA is a women!

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Namaste Believer Ji
    I think dA is a women!
    My bad!
    Yes, she is, I forgot, thanks for the correction.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Have you been following his posts in the last 3-4 weeks, or were you on vacation?

Pranam.
    Namaste to all,

I'm reading through the Bhakti Yoga book recommended to me here in this thread.

I came across the term paramahaṃsa. Does anyone think that I'm somewhere in there, towards the base level somewhere? In other words, I have the awareness of something that is formless because that is what I sense.
    Namaste Believer Ji,

I got your message!
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post
    Namaste Ram,

I have no idea at this point, though someone has pointed out Advaitin leanings. This is my suspicion:

What if I'm the one who created all this for myself, or that you, I, and others worked together in the ex-mortal (spiritual state) to create this place, because as spirits, we had learned everything, experienced everything, and have been aware with no beginning and no end? We can't "just simply be," statically, with no movement. It seems like life on earth as a human is a way to temporarily forget all this knowledge and start over again, experiencing the joys of wonder, surprise, learning something new, having new experiences, to create all that we have in many different civilizations through endlessly living lives, one after the other, as a way of "keeping us busy." Perhaps there are people who won't do the work towards moksha precisely because they want to keep getting these new experiences. It requires, though, some form of memory suppression or dampening during each lifetime; otherwise, what is the point if, at birth, you know what is going to happen next with ISIS' attempt to install a medieval Caliphate, or you can speak over 100 languages without schooling? You might as well stay in the ex-mortal state and not deal with the rigors and pains of mortal life.

And the reason I point to animism is because maybe I'm seeing myself in the trees, in the animals and plant life all around me, and I do feel upset whenever I see dead animals on roads and litter on the ground. I want to say, "Hey, child. Please do not litter this beautiful planet, and please treat animals as equals." I feel like when I see such deeds committed, I reach out to the Universe in my own way with the image of this person's face or body and the deed done, for the Universe to deal with upon that person's physical death.

When I was younger and much fuller of anger, I used to promise that "When I die, I will find that person's spirit and put it back in another body on Earth, over and over again, even if that person ends up on a colony on another planet. I will drag him back there. If I die first, I will wait for all of them, and do what I just said."

Is there a sampradāya that reflects anywhere near these ideas? Will I have to create my own sampradāya?

Dear Ancient, Namaste

Is there a sampradāya that reflects anywhere near these ideas? Will I have to create my own sampradāya?
    Everything except your last paragraph. If that is what you are refering to, then you should not create a sampradaya for it! You cannot take karma in your hands and moreover, a pure soul does not have any hatred or feelings of revenge.

I am only talking about the other, good ideas :

Feeling the AtmIyatA and Atma-bhAv --- oneness with all beings and surroundings. THAT idea, that "the tree is me, the deer and squirrel is me " are the very basic core of the Truth imparted by SanAtana (eternal) Hindu Dharma, essentially Vaidic ! So, they form the foundation of the entire range of what you can call SanAtana, Vaidic or Hindu. This is the lowest common denominator of all sampradAya and it is wonderful that you imbibe the values naturally.

a) Atma-bhAv and AtmIyatA (Atma-bhAva : The core of all beings and things is my own AtmA ;
    Feeling of oneness in the positive sense towards all and everything -- This is all me. They are all mine. That fondness is AtmIyatA. )
    b) prANi-dayA -- compassion towards all beings and regard for their pleasures and pain, sorrow because of (a) -- because all are me or come from the same source as me.

So what you have been essentially saying is that you naturally embibe the basic tenets and teachings of satyam, satya dharma (Truth) brought to us via SanAtan (eternal) Vaidic (emanating from Ved) Hindu Dharma. This is great, it means you live in SatYuga internally. (I can very much relate to this, as I observe cycles of Yuga inside me independant of the cycles of Yuga for the Universe -- I like switching between Sat and Dvapar not beyond that.)

So what is the problem then ? Do you see that there is none?
    However -- if you feel angry at situations and people, then that has to be worked upon. That is not like Sat Yuga.

If you say "I am from SatYuga but surrounded by Kali Yuga and a culture that appears antithetical." Well, then we build our own Sat Yuga inside us.

Someone like you should be cherishing your own ekAnta -- solitude, since if the core of all beings is your AtmA, where is the question of anyone else?

[I say this as I relate to it but in a slightly different way. I am TWO-in-ONE you see, PrANanAtha and me. If your oneness says there can't be two, we are not two. If you still insist that one of Us has to go, that would be me. Not Him. I may well be His imagination. He is not my imagination. He is far realer than anything else perceived.]

So what does this ekAnta entail? For instance, one may a)be there for those who need them, b)go out and work, be in harmony with colleagues, and c)back to being the recluse. You do not find the necessity to seek new friendships in the world apart from very like-minded beings in spiritual matters.

So back to sampradaya and satsanga (association of Truth-seekers) and shAstra (scripture). You seek simple people, and they may be hard to find, but if you try opening your heart to that paramAtmA -- who is your higher Self, He will make way.

Also, there is no need to feel negatively about Christianity. Let them be. Let you be. Let all be. If you plan a visit to BhArat varsha, that will surely be rewarding. You may want to visit Aurobindo's Ashram in Pondichery.

Hari sundara MAdhava Mukunda, Hari Keshava Mohana Govinda
    Last edited by smaranam; 19 March 2015 at 04:39 AM.

Thread Information