Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mantras: It's The Same God - Why Different Results?

Mantras: It's The Same God - Why Different Results?

Namaste HDF,

I have a question regarding mantras to different Gods. Rationally, I know that all the Gods of Sanatana Dharma belong to the same Oneness...the same God. My question is this: is it possible that a mantra to a different God (singular, as in Shri Ganesha or Shri Krishna for example), when chanted, could give one different results than another mantra to a different God?

If all the Gods of Sanatana Dharma are really one God, then logically, all the different mantras would have the same effect, right?

I do apologize if this question seems insensitive or ignorant, but I do not ask this out of malice, only a desire to know more. It's just something I want to clear up, as let's just say a recent happening has piqued my curiosity in this area...
    Last edited by Webimpulse; 13 March 2015 at 02:06 AM. Reason: edited thread title for clarity

Re: Mantras: It's The Same God - Why Different Results?

"Gods of Sanatana Dharma belong to the same Oneness"

this is wrong...God is only one the rest are just the devathas , deva is only one as explained in Bhagawadgita by Sri Krushna. Sri Krushna is the only purushottama, that is why Sri Krushna declared that those who only worship him are considered 'Sukrutas' the others are put in duskrutha category . He divideds Sukrutas into 4

1. Arthaha 2. Jignaasa 3. Arthaarthi 4. Jnani

Out of these 4, Krushna Paramaatma himself said that Jnanis are his atma, Jnanis have 'Ekabhakti' they desire only god not what god gives!

Coming to Mantra, Mantra is something that which removes bad and gives good on chanting, a word becomes a mantra by appending om and namaha as prefix and suffix respectively.

Mantras do NOT give results when not received through an acharya or proper guru. It is the acharya who through his sankalpam(desires) that this works and gives us the mantra upadesam. Then only it works.

The most powerful mantra in the entire vedic literature is nArayaNa mantram which was given when one becomes a Sri Vaishnava by receiving Pancha Samskaaras.

The other all mantras are incomplete and called as avyapaka mantras.

Adiyen rAmanuja Daasa.

Namaste Web,

Wow! You really think 'all gods of SD are in essence the same god'!! I don't think so... I do not believe that all gods are the same, I think that each god is different and maintains a unique identity, way of action, mode of guiding through a disciple's life that is different from the others..! I have some limited experience on a spiritual plane out of which my such believes are molded, but of which I cannot talk about, so that leaves me to call these are 'my personal beliefs' alone!

Let me talk about what it is said of Sri Ramachandra for an example. Whereas some devatas are known for fast action and granting of relief from suffering for the devotee (Sri Narasimha deva is always spoken of as such a devata), Sri Rama is always thought of by many as a devata who will put his devotees to much tests and trials, while finally yielding him 'mukthi'. Why is it said so? I think these stories sprung up after the story of the trials and tribulations faced by one prominent devotee of Sri Rama, namely Bhadrachalam Ramadasa - he built the famous Bhadrachalam temple for Lord Rama with king's money and without king's knowledge, therefore he was imprisoned and ill-treated for a very long time before Sri Rama redeemed him of his plight.

So in that perspective of what is said above, all mantras may not produce the same result, as all are not addressed to the same devata.

This is my take on the subject.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste!

Think of it this way. All medicine is meant to cure our ailments. So in this sense all medicine is "one"--healthful, beneficial, etc.

However, different medicines are appropriate for different ailments. A medicine that will cure one ailment will even be poisonous if taken by another person or in another situation.

A doctor will not say, "For the ailment for which you have come to me today, I prescribe for you: medicine!" No, the doctor will prescribe a specific medication for a specific disorder.

Similarly, the Gurus of Sanatana Dharma prescribe specific mantras evoking specific deities for specific purposes. Yes, on a certain level, "It's all one." All who go to a doctor are seeking one goal: health. But the medicine for bronchitis is not the same as the medicine for a broken leg. And so the devatas, though in one sense ultimately one, are not "the same."

This, at least, is my limited understanding.

Pranams and best wishes!
    "One who makes a habit of prayer and meditation will easily overcome all difficulties and remain calm and unruffled in the midst of the trials of life." (Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

Smile Re: Mantras: It's The Same God - Why Different Results?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery D. Long View Post
    Namaste!

Think of it this way. All medicine is meant to cure our ailments. So in this sense all medicine is "one"--healthful, beneficial, etc.

However, different medicines are appropriate for different ailments. A medicine that will cure one ailment will even be poisonous if taken by another person or in another situation.

A doctor will not say, "For the ailment for which you have come to me today, I prescribe for you: medicine!" No, the doctor will prescribe a specific medication for a specific disorder.

Similarly, the Gurus of Sanatana Dharma prescribe specific mantras evoking specific deities for specific purposes. Yes, on a certain level, "It's all one." All who go to a doctor are seeking one goal: health. But the medicine for bronchitis is not the same as the medicine for a broken leg. And so the devatas, though in one sense ultimately one, are not "the same."

This, at least, is my limited understanding.

Pranams and best wishes!
    Namaste Jeffery,

That is actually a really good explanation. My respect and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste Web,

Let me talk about what it is said of Sri Ramachandra for an example. Whereas some devatas are known for fast action and granting of relief from suffering for the devotee (Sri Narasimha deva is always spoken of as such a devata), Sri Rama is always thought of by many as a devata who will put his devotees to much tests and trials, while finally yielding him 'mukthi'. Why is it said so? I think these stories sprung up after the story of the trials and tribulations faced by one prominent devotee of Sri Rama, namely Bhadrachalam Ramadasa - he built the famous Bhadrachalam temple for Lord Rama with king's money and without king's knowledge, therefore he was imprisoned and ill-treated for a very long time before Sri Rama redeemed him of his plight.
    Namaste Viraja Ji,

I read that Bhadrachalam Ramadasa suffered because in his previous life he kept a parrot captive in a cage as a pet and as a result of the bad karma of confining and causing sorrow to a bird he underwent great problems.

But I read that Lord Vishnu doesn't grant wishes easily and that He puts a lot tests to His devotees.I think that is because people don't expect Lord Vishnu to grant materialistic desires but pray to Him to grant Mukti.In order to attain Moksha, naturally one has face a lot of tribulations,so it may be indeed true that Lord Vishnu is said to repeatedly test the sincerity,purity of a devotee before granting wishes.

Whereas some devatas are known for fast action and granting of relief from suffering for the devotee (Sri Narasimha deva is always spoken of as such a devata)
    Why is Sri Narasimha Swamy considered so?
    Worship of
    Lord Narasimha is very popular in the South.
    I also heard that one must maintain very high standards in worship,is it true?
    Generally,one does not require any special dikshas to worship Lord Sri Rama or Sri Krishan,is it the same for other forms of Lord Vishnu?

In Vaishnava Sampradayam worship of which deities(forms/avataras of Lord Sriman Narayana) is emphasized?

Are there any other Devatas(Vaishnava and non-Vaishnava) who are said to take
    fast action and grant relief from suffering for the devotees?

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Namaste HDF,

I have a question regarding mantras to different Gods. Rationally, I know that all the Gods of Sanatana Dharma belong to the same Oneness...the same God. My question is this: is it possible that a mantra to a different God (singular, as in Shri Ganesha or Shri Krishna for example), when chanted, could give one different results than another mantra to a different God?

If all the Gods of Sanatana Dharma are really one God, then logically, all the different mantras would have the same effect, right?

I do apologize if this question seems insensitive or ignorant, but I do not ask this out of malice, only a desire to know more. It's just something I want to clear up, as let's just say a recent happening has piqued my curiosity in this area...
    Namaste,

One gets the fruits in proportion to the strength of bhakti and samarpaNa (surrender). What matters is the intention behind chanting God's name.

Each mantra is a vibration ( as sound has vibrations). Out subtle bodies, chakras and our mind, chitta, etc also has vibrations. We have a definite personality.

When one's basic nature tunes with the character of any form of Lord, one find it easy to surrender to him and chant his name. The mantra will also tune into the vibrations of subtle bodies and chakras and cleanse them.

Just like we have a liking for some food and dislike of other food does not mean that what you is is the best food, rest all is not. It might best suit you. In the same way certain vibrations attract you. Have you noticed that when you are standing near a stranger, at times you feel that you are not comfortable in his/ her presence. Sometimes, we become friends in the very first meeting. All these is due to vibrations. If the vibrations are not of similar frequency, then you might not feel comfortable with him / her. Your thoughts might not align with him / her.

In the same way, a certain mantra is more effective on one person and lesser effect on another.

Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya is considered as beej mantra (corrections welcome) and so is powerful than Shri Krishna Sharanam mama. But some get more joy in chanting krishna's mantra than vasudeva's.

In the same way, some experience great joy in chanting 'Shree Ram, Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram' while 'Om Shri Ram Chandraya Namah' is considered as more potent as it corrects one with heart.

Om increases potency of any mantra, but Krishna's mantra (Shri Krishna Sharanam mama) does not have OM in it (atleast not the present version, which is chanted by most).

So it all depends what suits you

But beej mantras are technically more potent than other mantras or puranic mantras.

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    Mantras do NOT give results when not received through an acharya or proper guru. It is the acharya who through his sankalpam(desires) that this works and gives us the mantra upadesam. Then only it works.
    Namaste,
    I can not agree with this statement. I myself have experienced concrete results with different mantra chanting (Om Namah Shivaya, Hare Krsna, Mahamrtyun-jaya mantra, Gayatri mantra) without having a guru. I learnt the right pronounciation from a person who has a guru, but who also has denied his guru later. That person is teaching us Veda chanting.

If mantras are holy syllables revealed to people who have approached to the Truth and if they have given it to the world, then why would there be a need for more mediators?

I'm saying this as a person who is not a hindu by origin, who has grown up on the West and who doesn't have an opportunity to have a true guru (I am very skeptical about big organizations and gurus with millions of disciples). All I have is my faith, my will and help of books written by realized people like Vivekananda, Prabhupada etc.

The other thing which I find interesting among any type of spiritual circles is different versions of things with different interpretations and statements like "No, it doesn't work that way." Why would it not work that way?
    If there is one, unique and the only true way, then there wouldn't be that many traditions, that many organizations, that many religions, sects etc. Who can tell how something really works? I don't think anybody can. One has to experience something for themselves. What works for one person maybe doesn't work for another.

I met many people who have gurus and some of them are far from being spiritual and understanding spiritual principles. On the other side, some I met are very progressive, wether they have or don't have a guru.
    I "measure" this by their acts, language and vibe they radiate.

To give a concrete example from my own experience, as I attend satsang by both shaivistic Haidhakan Babaji followers and vaishnavas, disciples of Sadhu Maharaja, I was given two different statements regarding my broken mala.
    I was given a tulsi mala from vaishnavas, it was offered to deities and one would say it was made ready for use. After some time one bead fell off and I thought "Oh dear, even my mala is broken" ( I was going through a tough period in life). After I told this to Haidhakan's yogi who's leading Arati and puja, he said: "Oh that's a good sign, it means you solved something. When your mala breaks it means you finished something you had to."
    After telling what I was told to vaishnavas, they said: "Stupid, that doesn't mean anything, but only that you have to do 2 chants on one bead".

That's only a one example.

I know it's very common to talk about need for a guru in Sanatana dharma but I also had a chance to talk with sannyasin who said during a lecture: "It is a blessing to find a saint, but if you can't find a saint, find it in yourself."
    From that point of view, I must say I am more inclined to dr. Amit Ray's interpretations ( at the moment I'm reading his book "Awakening inner guru"; he also wrote "Om chanting" and "Om sutra- A pathway to enlightement") who also said that and that finding an external guru is a gift of inner guru's manifestation.

Regarding God, I would say I share opinion of author of this thread, but I explain devatas as presentation of particular manifestations of energy.
    That I also felt during chanting- when I chanted Om namah Shivaya I felt strength, strong focus and deep vibration, while chanting Hare Krsna would result in calmness, light and etheral energy of kindness.
    These are my experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post
    [SIZE=3]
    Why is Sri Narasimha Swamy considered so?
    Worship of
    Lord Narasimha is very popular in the South.
    I also heard that one must maintain very high standards in worship,is it true?
    Generally,one does not require any special dikshas to worship Lord Sri Rama or Sri Krishan,is it the same for other forms of Lord Vishnu?

In Vaishnava Sampradayam worship of which deities(forms/avataras of Lord Sriman Narayana) is emphasized?

Are there any other Devatas(Vaishnava and non-Vaishnava) who are said to take
    fast action and grant relief from suffering for the devotees?

Dear Ram ji,

I am really not qualified to answer any of your questions, Sir.

My understanding about Narasimha Swami comes from reading the works of Tamil Jyotishi Shri. AMR (A.M. Rajagopalan).

But irrespective of what it is said about the niyamas for worshiping Sri Narasimha Swami, many including in my own household, worship him without anything too strict to follow and haven't felt anything adverse... Maybe because I have a picture of Sri Narasimha Swami with Lakshmi in his lap...this form is said to be suited to grihastha worship without too many restrictions as opposed to his ugra form.

And isn't said of Lord Shiva that he acts very quickly and comes to the rescue...
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Dear Ram ji,

I am really not qualified to answer any of your questions, Sir.

My understanding about Narasimha Swami comes from reading the works of Tamil Jyotishi Shri. AMR (A.M. Rajagopalan).

But irrespective of what it is said about the niyamas for worshiping Sri Narasimha Swami, many including in my own household, worship him without anything too strict to follow and haven't felt anything adverse... Maybe because I have a picture of Sri Narasimha Swami with Lakshmi in his lap...this form is said to be suited to grihastha worship without too many restrictions as opposed to his ugra form.
    Namaste Viraja Ji,

Nobody knows everything,you can speak from personal experience too.

As you say for the Ugra forms probably there are some additional special points to follow.
    The Sringeri Shankaracharyas are said to be great devotees of Lord Narasimha,I heard that they worship Lord Narasimha 2-3 times daily.I do not know exactly which form is meant for Sanyasins but in this first pic below it seems that Sri Bharati Tirtha MahaSwamiji also worships Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swami daily.

And isn't said of Lord Shiva that he acts very quickly and comes to the rescue...

Yes,this is mentioned in the Rig Veda.

I was asking apart form Lord Shiva do you know any other similar Devatas.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Thread Information