Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mantras: It's The Same God - Why Different Results?

Re: Mantras: It's The Same God - Why Different Results?

Today I spoke to some vaishnava friends and they said that mantras like Gayatri do not work unless you have a guru, because it is among secret mantras.
    Can somebody explain that to me then? Why is Gayatri mantra which is also very popular outside of India and which is sung on many sangas or events that have something to do with Indian spiritual traditions secret and supposedly not working unless a person is initiated in it?
    And what other mantras belong to this category?

Om

Those are beautiful pictures, Ram ji!

My idea about devatas operating differently - some quicker than others comes from the SriVaishnava scholar AMR - I used to read his column in Kumudam Jyotidam - he had a separate section for Bhakti. In that he used to say that Sri Narasimhar, Sri Hanuman and one more devata (whom I forget) operate very quick in yielding results. He used to say that 'Naalai enbadhe illai Narasimhanidatthil'! meaning when a devotee yearns for mercy from Sri Narasimha, that inspite of the devotee having a million mistakes that Narasimha Swami used to think "Let me save him from peril now... and then think of ways to charge him for his sins later!". But I think proper bhakti and sadhana are important to see results.

I have seen AMR advicing others (of different sects) to go to the temple closest to their house and light a lamp there on a certain 'parihara day' continuously for a long time... if it is Sri Murugan temple, advice will be to go there, if it is Lord Shiva temple, to go there... But he has not mentioned much on their mode of action, so I do not know much on this..
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste Ji,
    Quote Originally Posted by Ametyst View Post
    Today I spoke to some vaishnava friends and they said that mantras like Gayatri do not work unless you have a guru, because it is among secret mantras.
    Can somebody explain that to me then? Why is Gayatri mantra which is also very popular outside of India and which is sung on many sangas or events that have something to do with Indian spiritual traditions secret and supposedly not working unless a person is initiated in it?
    It seems to me that this is also a sectarian belief. The Satsang I frequent is made up mainly of Sri Gayatri Parivar devotees, I think the building is owned by them. They do not believe this mantra requires diksha, I've had many members present it to me as one important to know early on and which can be said by anyone. If there is a more accurate explanation than sectarian practice for most if not all mantras, though, it would be great to know?

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Om
    Namaste Ji,

Different mantras have different rules,some have many,some have none,some require initiation,some don't.Always better to receive mantras from an qualified Guru as the Guru can supervise the progress and suggest corrections if necessary.

Not all mantras have swaras,the Gayatri is a Vedic mantra,every Vedic mantra has swara or a fixed way of chanting.Anyone who wishes to learn the Gayatri can go to a qualified Guru and receive the mantra and the procedure to chant it.If one chants an uninitiated mantra by oneself it may work, it may not work but isn't it much better to learn the
    the right way to chant.

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Namaste Ji,

It seems to me that this is also a sectarian belief. The Satsang I frequent is made up mainly of Sri Gayatri Parivar devotees, I think the building is owned by them. They do not believe this mantra requires diksha, I've had many members present it to me as one important to know early on and which can be said by anyone. If there is a more accurate explanation than sectarian practice for most if not all mantras, though, it would be great to know?

~Pranam
    Namaste Ji,

The organization you attend to has a belief that 'one doesn't require a diksha'.Different systems have different beliefs.Even in Shaivism some Sampradayas are very liberal,some are not so liberal.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Om
    Namaste,

There are different Gayatri mantras for each varNa. the commonly known Gayatri Mantra is Brahma-Gayatri Mantra (that we usually hear). This mantra is imparted to son by father or grandfather upon upnayana samskAra, thread ceremony. This samskAra gives one right to study veda-s and do pujA. So kids who do not receive dikshA in gAyatrI mantra are not supposed to chant.

Regarding Gayatri Parivar, allowing the chanting of Gayatri Mantra, this and Arya Samaj of Dayanand Saraswati do not believe in varNa dharma (caste system). They give initiation to women and women alsodo yajna, which Shankara matha (mathas / ashrams founded by Adi SankarAcAryaji) will never practice. Traditional vedAntic mathas do not give dikshA to women, but these two do give.

Mantra is like a power. To give the power, you yourself must have authority to impart the power. This happens to a Self Realization soul when God himself gives order to initiate devotees and spread his name. any mantra imparted by such a divine saint will help boost our spiritual progress as it is God who is actually working through them. Whenever God orders some work to anybody or asigns him / her any task, then God also gives him / her the ability and potential to complete the task.

Other mantras like Maha mantra, etc do not require initiation, though those who have taken initiation of mantras dedicated to Rama, Krishna or Shiva have better chance to progress, but most of the time, many people start chanting with getting initiated.

gAyatrI mantra is the only mantra that is initiated by father and then it opens a way to learn and chant other mantra, do karma kANDa, pUjA, yajna, havan, etc. It gives you authority to chant veda-s and so you are free to select any mantra of your choice.

Om Namah Shivaya is a vedic mantra, but this mantra is given in purANa-s too. There is no restriction as to whom can read purANa-s. Hence mantra-s mentioned in purANa-s can be chanted by anyone. So if Om Namah Shivaya, or any other mantra is given in purANa-s then, I think, it can be adapted by anyone, but getting initiated is always a better option.

If you believe in Kundalini and Yoga, then they have an explanation for process of initiation. Great Saints activates our kundalini thereby starting our spiritual journey. After this activation, disciples experience many spiritual states and have divine vision, all related to rise of kundalini and activation of chakras and nADI-s.

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste Ji,
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post
    Always better to receive mantras from an qualified Guru as the Guru can supervise the progress and suggest corrections if necessary.

Not all mantras have swaras,the Gayatri is a Vedic mantra,every Vedic mantra has swara or a fixed way of chanting.Anyone who wishes to learn the Gayatri can go to a qualified Guru and receive the mantra and the procedure to chant it.
    All well and good if one has enough access to true Gurus and then finds one they feel they can devote to - not a lightly taken devotion, as all know. As Ametyst mentions, people in the West are often faced with few to no options when it comes to going to a Guru. We are also quite leery of charlatans, which are far more common here than the real thing. Often, until, (and if), we find such a Teacher we are stuck doing the best we can with what we have on hand - mostly books, our own convictions and determination, and conflicting information from the very many different sects in the communities we join for worship. My apologies, I hope you don't read this negatively, but I think we have already covered that different systems have different beliefs. It seems you're just repeating, or confirming, my own statement that it's a sectarian thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Amrut View Post
    Regarding Gayatri Parivar, allowing the chanting of Gayatri Mantra, this and Arya Samaj of Dayanand Saraswati do not believe in varNa dharma (caste system). They give initiation to women and women alsodo yajna, which Shankara matha (mathas / ashrams founded by Adi SankarAcAryaji) will never practice. Traditional vedAntic mathas do not give dikshA to women, but these two do give.
    Ah! Thank you, this is interesting. I wasn't aware of this as it's not the school I'm focusing on, but it's good to know. But I have a question which is probably both not a new one and also could be taken poorly. Please forgive me if the question seems rude or ignorant, I do not mean it to be. I can only see things through the eyes of the culture I was raised in, which tries to make all people equal even though it's not always very successful in doing so. I am asking out of real interest and internal conflict, not to demean or upset anyone or any system. From my reading and learning thus far it is said that in Vedic times women did indeed receive initiation, there wasn't discrimination based on caste or gender. That came later. It is what it is now, but then why call discriminatory schools "Traditional" rather than "Conservative", which seems a much better description? It seems to as if the true tradition, from ancient times, was inclusive of all and shut no one out. Keeping any Person from Bhagavan in any way shape or form seems to me to be a very Human socio-political thing to do, having very little to do with Spirituality.
    Again, my sincere apologies if in my ignorance I have upset anyone with this question and view. It is not my intention.
    Om Namah Shivaya is a vedic mantra, but this mantra is given in purANa-s too. There is no restriction as to whom can read purANa-s. Hence mantra-s mentioned in purANa-s can be chanted by anyone. So if Om Namah Shivaya, or any other mantra is given in purANa-s then, I think, it can be adapted by anyone, but getting initiated is always a better option.
    This is a perfect example of what I mean by sectarian belief. The Sampradaya I am studying does consider the Panchakshara Mantra to require diksha before chanting it. Since I am starting to seriously consider formally joining, I respect their direction and do not use this mantra for japa or chant.
    If you believe in Kundalini and Yoga, then they have an explanation for process of initiation. Great Saints activates our kundalini thereby starting our spiritual journey. After this activation, disciples experience many spiritual states and have divine vision, all related to rise of kundalini and activation of chakras and nADI-s.
    Thank you, Amrutji. For me this is the best explanation for the need for initiation and diksha in some things. I do think that people can make progress on their own, but agree that if one can find a Teacher to give initiation it certainly makes a big difference in the amount of progress one makes. But it still leaves the problem of finding such a Teacher for many. Surely it must be better to do something than nothing, in the lack of such guidance. And with so many conflicting, at times seemingly Human, judgements and ideas on what is OK to chant and what is not, it is very confusing and almost seems that one should simply go with what one feels most strongly? At least until one finds such a Teacher or Guru...

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post
    Namaste Ji,

Different mantras have different rules,some have many,some have none,some require initiation,some don't.Always better to receive mantras from an qualified Guru as the Guru can supervise the progress and suggest corrections if necessary.

Not all mantras have swaras,the Gayatri is a Vedic mantra,every Vedic mantra has swara or a fixed way of chanting.Anyone who wishes to learn the Gayatri can go to a qualified Guru and receive the mantra and the procedure to chant it.If one chants an uninitiated mantra by oneself it may work, it may not work but isn't it much better to learn the
    the right way to chant.

Namaste,
    regarding Gayatri mantra, I learnt it from a person who has a guru and who is also Sai Baba follower. He is teaching Veda chanting by vedic rules and I have already got confirmation from a friend from India who is swami Dayananda's disciple that it is propriate way of chanting, so I guess there is no need to worry about chanting.
    As I'm living in a small European country I have no possibility to go to self-realized guru and get a mantra initiation, so this is the only way for me to get into it.

Harih Om

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    But I have a question which is probably both not a new one and also could be taken poorly. Please forgive me if the question seems rude or ignorant, I do not mean it to be. I can only see things through the eyes of the culture I was raised in, which tries to make all people equal even though it's not always very successful in doing so. I am asking out of real interest and internal conflict, not to demean or upset anyone or any system. From my reading and learning thus far it is said that in Vedic times women did indeed receive initiation, there wasn't discrimination based on caste or gender. That came later. It is what it is now, but then why call discriminatory schools "Traditional" rather than "Conservative", which seems a much better description? It seems to as if the true tradition, from ancient times, was inclusive of all and shut no one out. Keeping any Person from Bhagavan in any way shape or form seems to me to be a very Human socio-political thing to do, having very little to do with Spirituality.
    Namaste Ananandinii ji,

I understand. The question of varNa based on birth and character is a long debated issue. We had a 250+ posts thread which remained civil upto 220+ posts or so. I understand that all are equal. Infact, according to some people who are deep into spirituality, women are technically more powerful than man, not in terms of brute strength, but in terms of emotional, mental and spiritual development. The way of life they lived with moksha as the prime goal in life, women are more probable than men to get salvation with less effort than men. The answer will be a long one which I will reply in the next post.. First let me try to answer your other questions.

This is a perfect example of what I mean by sectarian belief. The Sampradaya I am studying does consider the Panchakshara Mantra to require diksha before chanting it. Since I am starting to seriously consider formally joining, I respect their direction and do not use this mantra for japa or chant.
    This was regarding the mantra OM Namah Shivaya, which can be found in purANA-s. So anyone can chant. Practically thinking, even if one has not received any kind of initiation, still one can adapt any mantra and chant it.

The reason for not allowing vedic mantra to be chanted by anyone is because in karma kANDa, lots of importance is given to pronunciation, following procedure strictly, etc. This requires a lot of time to study and master all mantra-s. First step is to by-heart them with proper pronunciation. Proper Pronunciation is the necessary because it generates specific vibrations. Only proper pronunciation can give desired vibrations which in turn can cleanses nADI-s and also reaches demi-gods. All these requires a lot of time.

To study and master one veda, it takes 10 years. The person is called as vedya or simple ved. Which is a surname / last name of a brahmin. Putting in simple format

1 veda = 10 years = ved
    2 veda-s = 20 years = dvivedi
    3 veda-s = 30 years = trivedi
    4 veda-s = 40 years = caturvedi

These people master vedaic mantra-s with special kind of chanting. Depending upon their profeciency, they get honorific titles like ghana-pAThI-s.

Suppose there is a verse of 4 words. The system to memorize is

(a) 1-2-3-4
    (b) 1-2, 2-1, 3-4, 4-3
    (c) 1-2-3-4, 4-3-2-1

Then there is another method in which a word is split into it's parts and pronounced.

Each vedic mantra has it's anukramaNikA i.e. it's

adhiSTHAtA devatA (presiding deity to whom a mantra is dedicated)
    rishi (seer, to whom this mantra was revealed, generaly as a flash in heart or may be seen with divine eyes)
    chandas (meter, tone in which it has to be sung)

All these is not easy. It is a full time job. There are multiple gods in veda-s.

While in japa, we chant and mediatate only in one form of God, which we consider as almighty.

Rest of answer why women are 'not supposed to chant veda-s' in next post.

Thank you, Amrutji. For me this is the best explanation for the need for initiation and diksha in some things. I do think that people can make progress on their own, but agree that if one can find a Teacher to give initiation it certainly makes a big difference in the amount of progress one makes. But it still leaves the problem of finding such a Teacher for many. Surely it must be better to do something than nothing, in the lack of such guidance. And with so many conflicting, at times seemingly Human, judgements and ideas on what is OK to chant and what is not, it is very confusing and almost seems that one should simply go with what one feels most strongly? At least until one finds such a Teacher or Guru...

~Pranam
    Practical approahc is to chant the mantra of any form of God you like the most. Keep praying to guide you. A time will come when your guru will find you.

According to Kancih Paramacharya, initiation is not wispering mantra into disciples ears. Initiation can be an upadesha. A simple instruction to ask disciple to chant a mantra by asaint, a touch, a look, gaze or even wishing mentally by a realized soul all are a type of initiation. They all help one to come closer to God. You do not need to physically be prasent and physically touch forehead or crown of head (top of head) to initiate. For others initiation can be directly received from a saint or God himself in dreams or in meditation.

Practically speaking, we can chant and should chant mantra of our choice. Gayatri Mantra is not a mantra generally chanted for salvatio (corrections welcome). Gayatri mantra is considered as an essence of veda-s. When we generally talk of veda-s, it is the samhitA part, which is a collection of mantra, the core part of veda-s. brAhmaNA-s give direction to mantra-s, i.e. where they are supposed to be used, AraNyaka-s their inner meaning and vedAnta, or upanishads ask one to realize the supreme truth, the laxyArtha of veda-s, who is supreme non-dual brahman.

It is generally a beej mantra that is initiated by saints of various traditional sampradAya-s

The reason for speaking in strict words like' You CANNOT get salvation if you are not initiated by guru' is not to be taken literally. It simply shows importance of Guru. It is for our own good. Suppose if you chant a mantra and you run into a problem say, stress increases, or you get more frustrated (which does happen in the beginning), then in this case whom are you going to ask for help? You need guidance from someone from the one who is doing japa since long time. Only s/he can understand your problrm and give practical solution.

When proper time comes, it God himself will arrange for guru. So the phrase that you cannot get moksha if you are not initiated also becomes true. Only in some cases Guru is not in physical body. In rare cases God, who is residing in our heart himself guides us.

See, there is not 100 % implimentation of anything. Suppose I say, renounce watching TV, it is useless. Can you stop watching TV right away? No. When you are free, you mind will become restless and you will sponteneously pick up remote and switch on TV. But you will try to limit your time in front of TV. Gradually you will find no need to watch TV, as now devotion, faith in God is so increased and your mind is so peaceful that it does not need TV to get refreshed. It's already fresh

So if you say something, it gets implimented say only 40 %. Strong words are used for damage control. Not all can do japa.

Hari OM

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

condt...

Coming back to question on equality of men and women ... All answers are given from spiritual POV.

Women are more powerful then male.
    Women are more emotional then man. It is a gift given by God which thye have by birth.
    Women after marriage can adapt to completely new life style, fwew family members, can forget old customs and adpot new ones easily then male.
    Women are good in multi tasking and are good managers.

Apart from this, women are more receptive, as they are supposed to listen to their partner and elders. So there is quality of obediance and receptivity. Since they are dependable upon their husbands for survival, they have humility. Women often have to bare taunts of elders. Though this is negative, from spiritual POV, it shapes mind to make it more stronger. Not been able to tolerate taunts and insults and hitting back is a sign of weak mind. Not replying does not mean that mind is weak. There is always an option to reply later when the person has calm down.

All these qualities are not in male to the extend they are in women. So it takes more time to acquire them what women already have without meditating, simply by the way they life.

Dominant males have high ego, the biggest obstruction in spirituality. Ego does not let one surrender.

The love and caring that mother has for her child is not found in father. Mother is given another responsibility to manage the house and to live from the money that huband gives. So see learns to manage with what she has got. She is free from the burden of earning. Mother shapes the mind of child, takes care of family and nourishes them with food she cooks. Food protects the whole family. In this sense, women protect the family. She takes care of children, who will one day become parents. So women catually shape the society, give samskaras, moral and ethical teachings to their kids and so to the whole society. Indirectly, the kingdom is been guided by women only, as it is their love, care and guidance of tender minds which creates a strong base. It is a huge responsibility.

In return, she is freed from learning veda-s. Not because she is incapable, but because she has other work to do. So husband has to take care of himself and his wife's spiritual progress. Whatever merits husband earns, 50 % goes towards wife. So wife progresses spiritually without chanting veda-s. She has to know the veda-s, as no vedic rites can be done without wife. Only the chanting part is forbidden, as it is too time consuming for them to learn, as it is a full time job.

Lastly, women were created to carry on the world (please do not take it as an insult).

The mind which can tolerate others, is adjustable, sincere and hard working, one-pointed in devotion and service is better than an aggressive , dominant mind.

But as time passed by, society was not interested in moksha and also not in dharma. So the way of life designed for spiritual benefit was interpreted in a rigid way and it became a torture for many women who even had to starve, as they are suppose to eat last after serving all members. There are many evils which were practiced. Hence it was bound to repulse and so all (inculding males) are now accepting equality of men and women and do not mind women working for salary.

varNa by birth has advantages, as a brahmin is exposed to vedic karma kANDa right from birth and has natural advantage to learn it from pratising father and grandfather.

But, there is always a catch. Those women, who are not average, but have purified mind are exceptions and are taught everything. GEneral rules are broken. Even shudra-s are taught the essence of veda-s. It is said in dharma smriti-s that in case of emergencies when a brahmin cannot find a source to learn veda-s or has doubts, he can approach women and even shudra-s.

But these rules are kept to keep society in order, else everything one will go for the best thing. There will be too much competion. To add to it, those who do not deserve to learn veda-s or get initiated into vedAnta, also will pick up books, read and mis interpret shastra-s.

There are others ways ot get enlightened. There are purANA-s, there are agama-s, there is yoga. Nath sampradAya-s do not believe in caste distinction and initiate all into yoga. So are the veera shaiva-s. Agama-s or tantra-s, which is a journey from external rituals to interal yogic, energy based processes are open to all. Yoga leads one to same destination as do upanishads.

Only sanyAsa is not given to women in traditional sampradAya-s. As women need protection. You cant ask them to live in forests. There are only fews yogini-s who roam as ascetics, but the percentage is very rare.

Emotional nature of women help them in their bhakti and they progress faster than males who need to cultivate this and other bhAva-s and qualities which women have already acquired either by birht or by the life they live. So sanyAsa is not necessary for them.

A life of a widow is same as that of sanyAsins

Widows wear white cloths, sanyAsins wear orchre coloured cloths
    Widows are free from worldly duties except raising children (if they have)
    Widows may not attend social functions, so do sanyAsins

They get all these facilities and protection. They live in family. They are not supposed to renounce society.

Since they are free from worldly duties, and they have lost their husband, they can fully concentrate on God and life a spiritual life.

But, as said earlier, no one is interested in moksha and dharma. It's only artha and kAma. So it's earn and enjoy. Hence practically speaking, todays women can engage in all activities that men are engaged in. But if you wish to live 100 % spiritual ife, then you cannot be a leader. God will not give you success and make you popular. You will remain an underdog. Else success increases ego. It is true for men too. Hence for those wishing to live a 100 % spiritual ife, better live alife of householder, as earning money, doing business, etc will boost ego, may reduce tolerance as one is now independent, and increases stress and tension which is harmful for spiritual life. This is true for men too. But if men will not earn, its not acceptable. If wife does not earn, no one will say anything, atleast not in India. It's not compulsory. You can dedicate all energy in living spiritual life

Please do not take it negatively. All is said with positive mindset.

Hari OM

Thread Information