Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time is the seed of the universe - meaning

Re: Time is the seed of the universe - meaning

Namaskar,

Thanks to all who contributed to this post.

The gist I get quoting Shri Devotee is that "The Only Reality is changeless Brahman and there is no time".

However transitory beings like me who are not adepts yet experience an "apparently real and continuous" flow of time from a past to a future. I have read in an article that even this apparently continuous time flow is actually discrete. Instants of time (khand kaal) are like frames of a multidimensional movie which are being played from a "beginning" to an "end" in a predetermined pattern.

What do scriptures and advanced sadhaks have to say on this ?

Om Shanti Shanti

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker2011 View Post
    However transitory beings like me who are not adepts yet experience an "apparently real and continuous" flow of time from a past to a future. I have read in an article that even this apparently continuous time flow is actually discrete. Instants of time (khand kaal) are like frames of a multidimensional movie which are being played from a "beginning" to an "end" in a predetermined pattern.
    Namaste Seeker

Time is not linear, but consists of nested cycles and is spiral --
    Since time is cyclic (and nested within that), there is BramhA's night of 1000 chaturyuga which is as long as BramhA's day, and then there is mahA-pralaya which is as long as the time of the kalpa manifestation. In each if these nested "nights" the beings are absorbed into MahA VishNu and stay dormant, only to resume where they left off at the dawn of the next "day" .
    This is the break (khanDa) in kaal , kaala khanDa (discrete time intervals) experienced by beings (jIva). Why, every day you wake up, you experience a khanDa since the last night because of deep sleep.

1 nimeesha of BramhA (batting of eyelids) = 1 earth-year
    1 day of BramhA = 1000 chaturyuga = 1 kalpa (this is followed by an equally long night called naimittika pralaya when creation dissolves, is at a standstill and beings get arsorbed into Mahat/VirAT-Purush (cosmic MahA-VishNu) and stay dormant -- kAla khanDa occurs.
    1 year of BramhA = 100 BramhA-days
    Life of a BramhA = 100 BramhA-years = 1 mahA-kalpa at the end of which Atyantika pralaya occurs. BramhA's life is divided into 2 parArdha ; 50 BramhA-years = 1 parArdha
    Sahasra (thousand) mahA-kalpa make a nimeesh (moment) of VishNu (NArAyaNa, Bramhan').

Also, history repeats itself at different levels and dimensions of space hence dimensions of time.

*Plus, things are simultaneously happening in the macrocosm (BramhAnDa - universal level) and in the microcosm (pinDa - individual or embodied level). Think - fractals.

Scripture -- the best reference I can give is Shrimad BhAgavat mahA-purAN which explains yuga-cycles from truTi (moment) to mahA-kalpa -- see Canto 2,3 (sarga-visarga -- primary and secondary creation, and 5 (cycles, loka and cosmological details)).

In layman's terms, Consider earth going around the Sun and Jupiter or Saturn doing the same. Then consider a whole galaxy going around something bigger. The sapta-RushI (7 stars) going around Dhruva TArA -- the Pole Star. For beings or objects in each realm, a "day" a "month" or a "year" means drastically different things.

As far as the absolute versus relative is concerned, I hope the examples of riding a train while watching trees (something I just thought of while writing to you - so thank you), ocean - tide , meteors and comets -- were helpful.

Even if you say "I experience time" I would like to point out that devotees in eternal leelA with their IshTa are beyond space and time hence transcending mAyA in this respect, just as BhagavAn is beyond time,space,mAyA. This is because they are with the Lord. Interaction with your IshTa need not be within the schedule of day-night, before after, now later or a schedule although "leelena" , as leela you may want to experience "time and space" which is not the time and space here on earth -- but this is voluntary and/or driven by the Lord -- and you. You are here in this physical body and you think it is X o'clock in your time zone, but the real you is in some totally different place and time which is beyond space and time of this jaDa jagat i.e. material universe. Spiritual world is beyond the time-space of the material world.
    Last edited by smaranam; 27 March 2015 at 12:19 AM. Reason: mahA-kalpa

It is a geometrical shape that is made up of multiple overlapping circles of the same size. There is a huge amount of information and knowledge that can be gained from understanding the Flower of Life. It is considered to be sacred geometry that contains ancient religious value and to sum it up it depicts the fundamental forms of space and time, but there is a lot more to know. Let this be an introduction to The Flower of Life.
    visit:

Thread Information