Thread: Some interesting questions to Sri Krishna

Some interesting questions to Sri Krishna

Namaste,

I was reading a message at another site, when I came across several interesting questions raised to Sri Krishna by Uddava. Maybe our learned friends can try to answer them here, for Sri Krishna?!

1. Why did Krishna not try to dissuade Dharmaputra from playing the dice game even before he began playing it? Afterall, isn't Lord Krishna a good friend of the Pandavas, in whom the pandavas lay their sole trust?

2. When they started playing the game, why did Sri Krishna not favor the Pandavas by making the dice fall in their favor? Atleast initially, Dharmaputra only lost his kingdom and wealth. But when he risked Draupadi as his property to lose, at the behest and command of Duryodhana, atleast at that point, Lord Sri Krishna could have intervened and made the dice roll in favor of the Pandavas, because afterall Duryodhana and his uncle Sakuni, were playing an unfair game with weighted dice? Sri Krishna could have stopped it with his divine powers, but he did not, why?

3. When Draupadi was dragged in by Duryodhana's gang, who attempted to disrobe her, nearly all her fame and good repute fell off! Her image was already tarnished from this, though Sri Krishna saved her from actual disrobing, why Sri Krishna did not prevent this incident at the forefront?

(I have the answers posted as Sri Krishna's replies, will post at the end).

Thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Some interesting questions to Sri Krishna

Because the adharmic rule of kauravas had to be stopped, there needs to be a war, even when Krushna went to talk to kauravas, the paramaatma goes to friend house first, the main aim being not to make peace with kauravas.!

P.S--We the paapaatmas are in no position to question the eternal tattvam Sri Krushna......

No, we are not questioning Sri Krishna, rather these were the questions posited by Uddava to Sri Krishna. This quiz attempts to learn from knowledgeable members' interpretation of Sri Krishna's reply back to Uddava!

Here are the replies given by Sri Krishna to Uddava:

1. It is wordly way and rule that only someone with Viveka should win. And, the pandavas and Dharmaputra did not have the viveka that Duryodhana had. Duryodhana did not know to play the game of dice. However he had plenty of wealth to play the game with. So he said, "I will pawn all my wealth, but my uncle Sakuna will play on my behalf!". So in return Dharmaputra could have said, "I will pawn all my wealth too, but my cousin Sri Krishna will roll the dice for me instead!" -- but Dharmaputra did not say so, why??.

2. If Sakuni and I had played against each other, would Sakuni have been able to roll the number (in the dice) that I requested of him? Or, rather, I might not have been able to get the number in the dice that Sakuni wanted of me?! Well, anyways, Dharmaputra miserably failed in his Viveka (discrimination) on another account besides failing to hand over playing of dice on his behalf to me. That is, he prayed within himself that, "O god! Out of misfortune I have agreed to play the game of dice! But this information should not reach Krishna and he should never come to this palace where I am playing the dice game!", while I was mentally awaiting outside that palace, hoping someone would pray for me to come inside the palace... but that never happened. Even when Nakula and Sahadeva were pawned and lost, everyone was blaming their misfortune and ill-luck but did not pray for my assistance! So I could not help.

3. When Draupadi initially was dragged by Dushasana and the Kauravas, she trusted her own bodily power and tried to protect herself from the assault. Only later she realized it was beyond her means and she called for me. Immediately I rushed to her assistance. So what is wrong with what I did?.

On hearing the above replies from the Lord, Uddava was dumb-founded.

Viraja - ji,

The correct answer to Question (1), as per the Mahabharata, is as below. Answers to (2) and (3) are related.

Krishna did not/ could not, dissuade Dharmaputra from playing the dice game, because, at that time, he was preoccupied by the invasion of Salwa on Dwaraka-puri. Sri-Krishna himself tells Yudhishtira, while visiting the Pandavas in the forest, along with Balabhadra and Satyaki : "Had I been present there, I would have prevented the dice game, which was adharma. I would have adopted all means at my disposal, to ensure it. However the defence of Dwaraka from the attacks of Salwa, who with the blessings of Mahadeva acquired a Vimana called Saubham and was destroying Dwaraka, occupied my full attention" Then Yudhishtira asks Sri Krishna about the details of the war with Salwa and many chapters of Mahabharata are devoted to Krishna going into the details of the war with Salwa.

Namaste harih ji,

Thank you for this reply, as explained in the Mahabharata. I know not why then to Uddava, Sri Krishna replies as posted in post #3 point 1 above. Perhaps that is a philosophical reasoning given to explain the fact that Sri Krishna could have even assisted the pandavas by acting on their viveka? In my mother tongue the Tamil language, they say, 'Vidhi valiyadhu' which means 'Destiny is most powerful'. The Mahabharata narration you have given proves this fact.

Thanks for the clarification.

Namaste Viraja-ji

I dont think the conversation͵ purportedly between Uddhava and Krishna͵ is sourced from the Bhagavatham or any of the 18 puranas. I would like to know the source͵ if your learned friend had shared it in the discussion.

From the response given͵ it seems that the idea being driven is the perceived lack of Viveka or common sense on the part of the Pandavas. Also the response to Qn (2) indicates that Sri Krishna͵ given a chance͵ would have consented to play the dice game on behalf of Yudhishtira. In my understanding͵ both conclusions are totally against what the Mahabharata says.

A person‘s behaviour in a situation depends on the extent of knowledge that person has. In this situation͵ why did King Yudhishtira go to such depths to ensure that Duryodhana was not displeased in any manner? Because he knew a secret that Duryodhana didn‘t. Months before the dice game͵ Sage Vyasa visits Dharmaputra one day͵ and tells him͵ that he (Dharmaputra) would be the cause of a war with the Kauravas which will result in a large-scale destruction of the Kshatriya race͵ 13 years hence. The sage continues͵ as this is ordained by fate͵ hence strengthen your mind to face these events with courage͵ and ever be devoted to Satsangam.

Now what does King Yudhishtira do? He becomes horrified that he should become the cause of such a dreadful event. The pure and gentle soul͵ he makes a deep resolution then and there͵ to always be agreeable to the Kauravas and other Kshatriyas͵ no matter how unjustly or ignorantly they behaved towards him. It is THIS VOW of King Yudhishtira that leads to his unwillling complicity to the rest of the events. This is why the Pandavas are extolled as the models of forbearance͵ not because they lacked common sense. This is how fate plays with our lives͵ as you have also quoted.

Had he been there͵ would Krishna have played for Yudhishtira and won the dice game against Sakuni? I have already quoted from MBH the words used by Krishna. He would have tried his best to prevent the dice-game by prevailing upon Bhishma͵ Dhritarashtra etc.

Krishna‘s actions always reveal that͵while he takes due steps to forewarn people͵ when something is ordained by fate͵ he plays along and doesnt alter fate͵ though as the Supreme Lordͺ he could well do so. When the time of the destruction of the Yadavas was nearing͵ Krishna prevails upon them to visit Prabhasa teertha. But the Yadavas take alcohol with them͵ and even mix it with the food cooked for the Brahmanas. When Satyaki kicks off the Yadava destruction by killing Kritavarman͵ Krishna was the only one trying to prevent the murder. But when Satyaki and Pradyumna were both killed by Bhojas with liquor-pots͵ Krishna begins his act by pulling off an Eraka-grass (which turns into Vajra) and kills all the Bhojas with it!

In Udyoga Parva͵ Krishna undertakes the role of an efficient messenger who still had to accept the failure of his mission͵ since the war is ordained by fate.

The episode of Dussasana attempting to disrobe Draupadi is considered by scholars as a later interpolation in the MBH. Dussasana‘s crime was in dragging Draupadi by the hair͵ from the ladies‘ quarters to the Sabha. This in itself was worse than death to an empress of that time. Hence Bhima‘s vow which he fulfils by first pulling out Dussasana‘s right hand through sheer force͵ and then anointing Draupadi‘s hair with his blood.

Yudhishtira go to such depths to ensure that Duryodhana was not displeased in any manner? Because he knew a secret that Duryodhana didn‘t. Months before the dice game͵ Sage Vyasa visits Dharmaputra one day͵ and tells him͵ that he (Dharmaputra) would be the cause of a war with the Kauravas which will result in a large-scale destruction of the Kshatriya race.

Thread Information