Namaste all,

I have always been intrigued by the scientific (mainstream) dialogue of sleep levels and the way they deduce it. Of course I assumed it would not be as refined as something purported by Eastern philosophy as it was sure to explore more dimensions. I eventually saw that Sadhguru said 4 hours is the optimum, saying the body is like a car and if you took obscene amounts of petrol for a low mileage; then you are inefficient. Of course you would work up to this stage. Just like you can't start with heavy weights in the Gym. With further exploration I saw many scriptures recommending waking up early, I have seen ISKCON members telling me to wake up at 4AM, and also people talking about Brahma-muhurta and so on.

This is all fine and dandy, but yesterday I came across a article that said sages and hindu scriptures allott required sleep (for mental recovery) based on units. & each time of day yields different units. 7 units are required for most people - depending on the mental stress you suffer daily this may increase. 9PM - 12:00 yields 2 units per hour, 12:00 - 6, yields 1 unit per hour, 6:00 - 9:00, yields 1/2 a unit per hour, and the time from 9:00 AM to 9:00PM yields no units. This seems to be linked with the position of the moon, and interestingly there is a relationship with the moon and mind in astrology.

If this is true, can someone please cite a source? A scripture or a authoritative guru?

Thankyou.