Thread: 'Prapanna'-Surrendering Oneself to the Divine Mother

'Prapanna'-Surrendering Oneself to the Divine Mother

Namaste,

In my study of Tirumantiram(the core text of Shaiva Siddhanta Sampradaya) I came across this shloka:

She is Pervasive Everywhere
    She is Eternal Time embodied;
    She pervades all thought and love;
    She is united in Jiva inseparably;
    She is Malini (Uma); Makuli (Kundalini);
    Mantra Chandika
    (Who blows away the troubles of Her devotees like a tornado)
    She is Protectress,
    She with Protector indivisible stands.

Immediately,I remembered an almost similar mantra from Sri Devi Mahatmyam/Durga Saptashati/Chandi Patha.

देवि प्रपन्नार्तिहरे प्रसीद
    प्रसीद मातर्जगतोऽखिलस्य ।
    प्रसीद विश्वेश्वरि पाहि विश्वं
    त्वमीश्वरी देवि चराचरस्य ॥१॥

Devi Prapanna-[A]arti-Hare Prasiida
    Prasiida Maatar-Jagato-[A]khilasya |
    Prasiida Vishveshvari Paahi Vishvam
    Tvam-Iishvarii Devi Caraa-Carasya ||1||

Meaning:
    1.1: (Salutations to the Divine Mother) O Devi, You Remove the Distress of those who Approach You and take Refuge in You; Please be Gracious,
    1.2: Please be Gracious, O Mother of the Entire Universe,
    1.3: Please be Gracious, O Goddess of the World, and Protect the World,
    1.4: O Devi, You are the Goddess of all the Moving and Non-Moving Beings.

Detailed explanation from the net:

The Devi Prapannārti Hare Mantra is Verse 3 from Chapter 11 of the Chaṇḍī Pāṭhaḥ.

“Devi Prapannārti Hare” means, “Oh Goddess, you who remove the distress of all who take refuge in You.”

“Devi” means Goddess.
    “Prapanna” refers to one who takes refuge in God, one who has surrendered.
    “Arti” is suffering or distress, and “Hare” means removes or takes away.

When we take refuge in Her and trust Her completely, She removes all our suffering and distress.

“Prasīda Prasīda Mātar Jagato Khilasya”means, “Be pleased, be pleased, Oh Mother of the entire Perceivable World.”
    Prasīda means “be pleased.”
    “Māta” is Mother.
    “Jagat” is the perceivable world, and “Akhila” is entire or all of.

“Prasīda Viśveśvari Pāhi Viśvaṃ” means, “Be pleased, Oh Supreme of the Universe; protect the universe.” “Prasīda” means be pleased.
    “Viśveśvari” means Supreme of the Universe.
    “Pāhi” is protect, and “viśvaṃ” is the Universe.

“Tvamīśvarī Devi Carācarasya” means, “ Oh Goddess, you are Supreme over all that moves and does not move.”
    “Twamīśvarī” means You are Supreme.
    “Devi” means Goddess.
    “Carācarasya” means over all that moves and does not move (chara means that which moves, and achara is that which does not move).
    Could somebody explain the path of 'Prapanna'?How does one surrender to the Goddess and what are the steps/stages involved?

P.S.As I keep reading Saiva literature it seems that Shakta tradition is an important/integral part of Shaivam as there is a great amount of information on Devi Uma Parvati.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: 'Prapanna'-Surrendering Oneself to the Divine Mother

Namaste Ram11

Hari Om

Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post

Could somebody explain the path of 'Prapanna'?How does one surrender to the Goddess and what are the steps/stages involved?
    I pray to GOD every morning that 'i' be a witness/drashta to everything that may unfold in my life and that I remember HIS name & HIS awareness always throughout the day. My experience is most of times, 'i' the doer simply forgets HIM and in most of the situations 'i' under the spell of Maya, believes what Maya shows (thus 'i' feel great when things move in my direction or feel sad when things don't). However there are times (possible only by HIS grace) when 'i' doer by some GRACE is made to be aware that things happen around him and that in reality his contribution in that drama is very less(rather minimal). In these rare moments, 'i' doer is made to realize the beauty of surrender.

To my mind, this just happens, by HIS GRACE.

Om Namah Shivay

Quote Originally Posted by surrenderindailylife View Post
    Namaste Ram11

Hari Om

I pray to GOD every morning that 'i' be a witness/drashta to everything that may unfold in my life and that I remember HIS name & HIS awareness always throughout the day. My experience is most of times, 'i' the doer simply forgets HIM and in most of the situations 'i' under the spell of Maya, believes what Maya shows (thus 'i' feel great when things move in my direction or feel sad when things don't). However there are times (possible only by HIS grace) when 'i' doer by some GRACE is made to be aware that things happen around him and that in reality his contribution in that drama is very less(rather minimal). In these rare moments, 'i' doer is made to realize the beauty of surrender.

To my mind, this just happens, by HIS GRACE.

Om Namah Shivay
    Namaste Ji,

Thanks a lot for the wonderful words.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste Ram11,

Who is the source of the translation?

Praṇāma

Quote Originally Posted by deafAncient View Post
    Namaste Ram11,

Who is the source of the translation?

Praṇāma
    Namaste Ji,

I do not know the translator's name,I found these translations on the net.The translation done by Swami Jagadishwaranda is good (Ramakrishna Math edition) but I don't know if the text is available online.In case you are interested in the book,you will find details about it in this Amazon.com link.

http://www.amazon.com/Devi-Mahatmyam...devi+mahatmyam

Thank you. Actually, I have a copy of the book. I'm unable to find appropriate commentary for this particular work. Can you suggest one that is available in PDF format?

She is Pervasive Everywhere
    She is Eternal Time embodied;
    She pervades all thought and love;
    She is united in Jiva inseparably;
    She is Malini (Uma); Makuli (Kundalini);
    Mantra Chandika
    (Who blows away the troubles of Her devotees like a tornado)
    She is Protectress,
    She with Protector indivisible stands.

देवि प्रपन्नार्तिहरे प्रसीद
    प्रसीद मातर्जगतोऽखिलस्य ।
    प्रसीद विश्वेश्वरि पाहि विश्वं
    त्वमीश्वरी देवि चराचरस्य ॥१॥

Devi Prapanna-[A]arti-Hare Prasiida
    Prasiida Maatar-Jagato-[A]khilasya |
    Prasiida Vishveshvari Paahi Vishvam
    Tvam-Iishvarii Devi Caraa-Carasya ||1||
    Namaskar ji,

Mother Durga is the source of all activities of the universe. Without her existence, this universe cannot be driven by any mean. In fact she herself is the universe. If she herself is the universe, necessarily she would be everywhere. She eliminates all the troubles of her devotees who cry for her like a new born child. What are the troubles in real? Whatever a sadhak experiences of feels except the mother is a trouble. Therefore the divine mother eliminates all the illusions. In this stage a sadhak or surrendered devotee feels that everything is done by the mother.
    Who is prapatti? Prapatti means the acceptance that only mother is the door of all the activities. She is everything and everywhere. Praptti is not a sakriya sadhna. It is just acceptance. When true love for the mother flows in the heart of a devotee, he feels that not only the world is the form of the mother but his own body and mind too are the form of mother.

Namaste Ji,

I do not know if any commentary is available in PDF format.JaiMaaDurga Ji suggested a few books and recently I got Devadatta Kali's translation & commentary.In the book he mentions that there are at least 67 commentaries written on Sri Devi Mahatmyam,but it is not known how many are published or are translated from Sanskrit into English.

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...ANDI-PATHA-%29

In this link JaiMaaDurga Ji gave,there is a short but good commentary on the inner/hidden meaning of Devi Mahatmyam.It would certainly help you,do read it completely.

http://www.vedicastrologer.org/mantr...er_meaning.pdf

Namaskāra Sarvam,

I've seen this one, but haven't read it. I feel there had to be more to the commentary than this one.

Praṇāma

Thread Information