Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sri Hanuman and Lord Shiva-Any relation?

Sri Hanuman and Lord Shiva-Any relation?

Namaste,

I heard someone say that Sri Hanuman in an incarnation of Lord Shiva(not an avatar but something like Lord Shiva's amsha).Is this true?Is this idea mentioned in any Puranas,scriptures etc.?

Also,I've noticed that some Hanuman temples have a Shivalingam and some temples of Lord Shiva have Sri Hanuman's shrine,is there any particular reason for this or is it just coincidence?
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: Sri Hanuman and Lord Shiva-Any relation?

Namaste Ram ji,

I do not know scriptural references. However, one Vaishnava upanyasaka in his lecture once said that according to puranas, when Lord Shiva and mother Uma were sporting as deers playfully and playing in the forest, Lord Shiva's rejas emanated which was carried by god of wind and deposited into the kheer that Anjana took, thereby conceiving and bringing forth Shri Hanuman. Hence, it is popular opinion that Shri Hanuman may be an amsha of Lord Shiva, though not Lord Shiva himself.

In my personal opinion, Shri Hanuman is an amsha of Rudra and a relatively young god, who chose at his own will to have monkey face and be disposed as the servant of Lord Rama. I think Shri Hanuman who has limitless prowess and is unmatched in any aspect, chose this form so that he can be a chiranjeevi (not prone to desires and thus avoiding cycle of birth) and serve humanity.

I humbly request apology for anything I said that might offend.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste Ram ji,

I do not know scriptural references. However, one Vaishnava upanyasaka in his lecture once said that according to puranas, when Lord Shiva and mother Uma were sporting as deers playfully and playing in the forest, Lord Shiva's rejas emanated which was carried by god of wind and deposited into the kheer that Anjana took, thereby conceiving and bringing forth Shri Hanuman. Hence, it is popular opinion that Shri Hanuman may be an amsha of Lord Shiva, though not Lord Shiva himself.

In my personal opinion, Shri Hanuman is an amsha of Rudra and a relatively young god, who chose at his own will to have monkey face and be disposed as the servant of Lord Rama. I think Shri Hanuman who has limitless prowess and is unmatched in any aspect, chose this form so that he can be a chiranjeevi (not prone to desires and thus avoiding cycle of birth) and serve humanity.

I humbly request apology for anything I said that might offend.
    Namaste Viraja Ji,

Thanks for telling about Sri Hanuman's birth narrative,it seems that Sri Hanuman may be considered as a Parivara(family) deity of Lord Shiva though I don't know if it is correct to say so.It would be nice if any member can locate the story in the scriptures.

I think there is a reason why Sri Hanuman has Vanara/Kapi Mukha.A guardian of Kailasa had Vanara face and once Ravanasura made fun of him,then that guardian deity cursed Ravana that he shall be vanquished by a Vanara.This could be Sri Hanuman.

I've seen that Sri Hanuman is worshiped as the most powerful one and I also think Lord Hanuman is a very great deity.

Viraja Ji,there is nothing offensive in what you have said.

P.S. I read that there is another Hanuman Jayanti in two days,we had 2 already this year!
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste:

I think definitely there is a connection. Instead of puranas we can go by Shri Tulsidasji (who would know Hanuman) in Hanuman Chalisa "Sankar Suvan Kesari Nandan, Tej Prataap Maha jag bandan" establishing him as a son of Shankar.

Jai Sita Rama

There is no connection of Hanuman to Maha Siva..........He is no amsa of Rudra.....Not even a single vedic text has this reference!

Namaste,

Interesting as I was thinking about this yesterday, I was told a story recently that Hanumun is an expansion of Siva or non different from Him ( however one wants to put it), and he saved Lord Rama from defeat by Ravana, it was told to me a couple of months back in India. I guess it could have several meanings if true.

Namaste,

I consider all major deities to have appeared in different yugas. So, the deities associated with each major deity also appeared in the yuga in which the major deity appeared. This reduces the confusion about who is related to whom and how. At an abstract level, all deities and their associates are expansions of the Divine. So, in a way, they are all related; related because they all represent higher consciousness. Trying to make a family tree of devas is rather difficult and also I hope it is not offensive to other members.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 30 June 2015 at 12:05 PM.

Namaste,

Sri Hanuman ji in not Amsha but lord Shiv himself. he is the 11th rudr and it is well mentioned in Vayu Puran, Shatrudr Samhita.
    Goswami Tulsidas well discribed him in "Hanuman Bahuk" and call him shiv with different names.

Sadar
    Saral

According to Hanuman chalisa "Tej Pratap Maha jag bandan" hanuman Ji is son of Shankar

Hanuman is an avatar of Lord Shiva. Hanuman's eternal devotion to Rama shows us what are out devotion to God should be.

Thread Information