Thread: Hindu....Hindu.....Hindu.....

Hindu....Hindu.....Hindu.....

Namaste,

It may be true that outsiders coined a name for the original people of the Indian sub-continent, but the term Hindu is what we use to identify ourselves and how others look at us. It is not a derogatory term, just a word invented for the sake of a religious/ethnic grouping. The name of the forum that we are members of is called the Hindu Dharma Forum, the sub-section that I am making the post in is 'I am a Hindu'. So, there is no going back and getting all steamed up about our identity. Time does not march backwards. Agonizing over a mere word is a worthless cause to pursue. Yet one of our members seemed very disturbed and had this to say, "I would not use the word 'hindu' as this itself is a coined term but that is (a) whole different subject (al)together."

Let us live our lives in a constructive way to enhance our spiritual quotient instead of being tied down in 'Jalpa' and going through endless debates about topics that in the grand scheme of things don't matter. I don't expect anyone to follow my line of thought and I don't expect others to try to convince me that they are right and I am wrong. Live and let live. If the HDF rules are not palatable to someone, (s)he can always start her/his own forum and propagate only one point of view. Setting up a permanent residence in the 'Jalpa' section of HDF is bound to result in undesirable acrimonious behavior, which the moderators may not tolerate and ban the person.

Yes, I am a Hindu and feel fortunate to be one!

Pranam.

PS, I stand corrected. Per the link provided by
    hinduism♥krishna in post #5 below, the word Hindu in its various forms, had been in use for many centuries by different groups in the preIslamic period. So, it is of Indian origin. Anti- Hindu, anti-India Romila Thapar lies again. Thank you hinduism♥krishna for the link.
    -
    Last edited by Believer; 21 May 2015 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Added PS

Re: Hindu....Hindu.....Hindu.....

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Yes, I am a Hindu and feel fortunate to be one!

Pranam.
    Vannakkam B:

Me too.

Aum Namasivaya

I think there are no authentic strong proofs of Hindu word as a foreign word. That's just a (so called) theory with speculations and presumptions. What appeals to me more is that Hindu word is mentioned in later texts.

Vannakkam HK: I thought of mentioning this as well, but decided not to. I recall reading a long historical article on this theory once but I can't remember where it was. The common (and generally accepted and oft-quoted) idea is that Hindu is a corruption of 'east of the Sindhu' as the origin of the term.

But as you mentioned, this is only one theory. The article I read had several more theories, and demonstrated by example, use of the word 'Hindu' prior to any contact from the west.

Regardless of origin, now is now, and it's the accepted term to describe a whole lot of belief systems under one umbrella. We can unabashedly say 'I am a Hindu' without any negatives.

Since we are primarily a religion of experience, this sort of endless argument or discussion just distracts from the practice.

Aum Namasivaya

http://www.b-i-f.com/hindu.pdf

"Antiquity & origin of Hindu word"

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam HK: I thought of mentioning this as well, but decided not to. I recall reading a long historical article on this theory once but I can't remember where it was. The common (and generally accepted and oft-quoted) idea is that Hindu is a corruption of 'east of the Sindhu' as the origin of the term.

But as you mentioned, this is only one theory. The article I read had several more theories, and demonstrated by example, use of the word 'Hindu' prior to any contact from the west.

Regardless of origin, now is now, and it's the accepted term to describe a whole lot of belief systems under one umbrella. We can unabashedly say 'I am a Hindu' without any negatives.

Since we are primarily a religion of experience, this sort of endless argument or discussion just distracts from the practice.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakkam: Thank you. Maybe this time I will remember it's here in this thread, but then again ...

Aum Namasivaya

Believer,

May I politely inform what is the reason for your post? I do not hope someone got banned again over a futility, or is this simply threatening with it?

And at least in my tradition "live and let live" means something entirely different then it is my way or the highway.

namaste,
    [offtopic]
    Believer would not necessarily know if someone got banned or not. That function rests with the admins of the forum. I can answer your question about banning if you had a specific one in mind.
    [/endofftopic]
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaste,
    [offtopic]
    Believer would not necessarily know if someone got banned or not. That function rests with the admins of the forum. I can answer your question about banning if you had a specific one in mind.
    [/endofftopic]
    Namaste Satay,

What is Believer's position then? From his attitude I always got the impression he was running things, and I have noticed that his will be done, he demonstrated that he can punish people even if new rules need to be introduced after the fact. He likes to intimidate people as well.

If one questions him the posts are silently removed. It is clear that he is in a position of power and is protected. Do you two work for the same organization? Are you friends? Are you two manifestations of the same being? Is it secret or can it be shared?

Forgive my bluntness but in my country we do not beat around the bush. There are those creatures that live in the daylight and those that cherish the darkness. Being of the first kind I like clarity.

namaste Avyaydya,

Thanks for the questions. Before I address them let me start by saying thatsince this medium of communication is not face to face there are inherent limitations that result in sometimes wrong impressions of others. Knowing this it is of utmost importance that a general guideline for posts be followed. Therefore, the rules of posting are clearly stated and can be accessed by any member or visitor by clicking on the FAQ section. Each member must accept the rules before their registration is confirmed.

HDF has no association with any organization. I am the sole owner of it. Several years ago I used to frequent an online hindu forum called the hindunet.com. I quickly found that members there were bombarded with inappropriate ads and discussions always turned into jalpa. Hinduism and hindus were consistently and constantly denigrated. Thus an idea to have a forum clean of such things was born. With encouragement from a few members of hindunet I purchased the software, domain name and server space to host this forum. It has remained a personal endeavour for the past 9 years without any affiliations with any organization or persons. As long as Bhagwan wants to fund it through me, it will continue to exist like this. In the past several members have offered to help with donations etc. Those were refused as my thinking is that members should focus on making good posts and not worry about funding the existence of HDF. Thus as it sits currently I remain the sole owner (sounds so silly to write such a thing as are we really owners of anything?) of HDF.

Now, with respect to your questions. My relationship with believer is the same as my relationship with you. Believer and I are only as good a friend as you and I are. I hope you get the meaning. I have no relations with you neither with believer nor with any other member of the forum. I only know you and other members through your posts. I do not know the whereabouts of members nor do I know what they look like, who they are, where they work, what they do, what associations they are members of etc. Frankly, I couldn't care less who you or other members are and what your whereabouts are. My sole purpose is to provide a place on the Internet where like minded people can discuss Hinduism without denigrating it. This is where the rules of the forum come in.

When the forum was initially started, I had a general set of rules that any chat forum would have. However, over the years, I found that rules of hdf need to be specific to its members. Thus a few years ago, with the help of senior members of the forum the current rules were written and published on HDF. (BTW, believer was not part of the team that created the rules, in case you are wondering). The rules are clearly spelled out for everyone and can be accessedby clicking on the FAQ link.

There are many posts on HDF. Several new ones are made each day. While I want to read all of them I simply cannot. I would love to spend all my waking hours on HDF reading posts and serving members yet that's not possible as I have a life outside of HDF and people to take care of. So which posts do I review as an admin? I review the posts that a member has reported, for instance, in your case, several of your posts have been reported in the past by other members.

The posts that denigrate Hindus, Hinduism, India or Indians get my special attention. From day one of HDF my thinking remains the same that there are hundreds if not thousands of sites on the Internet where people can do such athing. HDF should be a place where such things are not permitted. As I am the owner, I reserve the right to remove any posts or any member whose thinking is not in alignment with this principle. Many have left, many I kicked out. No hard feelings. People come and go and we are only a blip in the vastness of the universe.

Regarding posts being deleted silently, in the early days of HDF, I used to do back and forth discussion with the member while reviewing their posts or before deleting them. I found that it wasted a lot of my time, unnecessarily. I say, unnecessarily as I don’t recall an incident where I was able to change their mind or attitude. After wasting a lot of time I ended up doing what I thought was best for HDF (keeping the no denigration rule in mind) anyway. I have learnt to not waste time discussing with anyone about their posts. I assume that people have the brain to understand and comprehend the simple rules of HDF. If I find posts that are not in alignment, they get deleted (yes, silently as there is no need to make a spectacle of it), same thing for banning a member. I rely on other members to use the ‘report a post’ function and report the offending posts. If you find a post that is not in alignment with HDF rules, please report it to me so that I can take action.

Now to address the undertone of your this and the post in another thread (which has been deleted), I am actually very lucky to be familiar with your country and culture. I lived in Belgium for a while and wouldn’t you know it learnt to read and speak Dutch, however, forgot the whole thing now. I have not much interest in art yet vangogh remains my favourite for his lifelike portraits of sunflowers. While youclaim to speak from daylight your head seems to be stuck in a place ‘where sun don’t shine’ as they say in the US. Your own culture and religion are intertwined. Your interest in Sanatana Dharma is natural as your own forefathers practiced a similar religion until the cancer of Christianity spread through them and through your country. Your posts read of colonial mentality. I say this with all sincerity and only knowing you through your posts. Please note that while most Hindus remain of similar mentality as yours i.e. believing all nonsense fed to them by colonial thinking some of us are actually waking up. While I don’t condone it, don’t be surprised by the attitudes of believer and others when they slap the nonsense and colonial mentality.

As I don't want to continue to take this thread off topic if you have any further questions please PM me or post them under the 'Feedback' forum.

Enough for today.
    Last edited by satay; 22 May 2015 at 11:50 AM.
    satay

Thread Information