Thread: Perpetuation of Ignorance

Perpetuation of Ignorance

Namaste,

There appears to be an Indian magazine 'India Currents' published in US which carried an article titled 'What is Hindu Dharma?' by Dr. Rita Sherma in its May 2015 issue - https://www.indiacurrents.com/articl...t-hindu-dharma

It starts to explain the definition of the word Hindu and claims it be of Persian origin. A commoner like me may make a mistake like that because of my lack of exposure to the literature out there. But for an educator who is highly educated about Hindu Dharma and is well regarded by the academic community, this is inexcusable. This myth/error gets handed down to untold number of students every semester. I sent an email to the publication's editor giving the link provided by hinduism♥krishna ( http://www.b-i-f.com/hindu.pdf ), and requesting that the author look at the research paper at the said link and provide some feedback. I also fished out the email address for International Journal of Dharma Studies (of which she is the Editor-in-chief) editorial@internationaljournaldharmastudies.com and sent in an email requesting the receiver to forward it to her so as to bring this error to her attention. I will keep you guys posted if I get a response from her.

Pranam.

PS, I will appreciate if some of you will join me in this effort to educate her by sending email to the India Current's editor at mgeditor@indiacurrents.com, pointing out the claim made by Ms. Sherma in the article published in the May 2015 issue about the origin of the word Hindu, and providing the link - http://www.b-i-f.com/hindu.pdf - for the author to read the research paper for a possible response. An email to International Journal Dharma Studies to Ms. Sherma's attention will also be appreciated.
    -

Re: Perpetuation of Ignorance

Please tell me why this is an error. What is the error?

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by deafAncient View Post
    Please tell me why this is an error. What is the error?
    http://www.b-i-f.com/hindu.pdf

Pranam.

Vannakkam Believer et al: And this is just the tip of the iceberg. The editors of Hinduism Today have been making presentations to curriculum development boards, especially in California, and have developed a textbook with a more neutral Hindu slant. HAF is also a proactive group working on such things.

Things do change. A good example is AIT, then AMT, and now accepted as false. But it all takes time, will, and proper documentation. The few hundred thousand Hindu immigrant children in America certainly do not need to hear about our faith only in the controversial anti-Hindu bias, like introducing us with caste and sati in the first paragraph.

Now, it's a start that each of these individual theories, formerly presented as fact, be turned away from facts into 'a theory open to debate'. That's a start, and then over time the scholars can have at it, and changes come about.

Thanks for being proactive.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaskāra Believer and Eastern Mind!

Thank you for giving me a link, which I will pass onto Rajivji's group, as I had NEVER seen this information before about the name Hindu. I am aware of Aryan Invasion Theory and how it's been debunked. Now, what is AMT? I know that's not an incorrect acronym for an ATM machine...

Aum Galeh Yuvo

Vannakkam DA: AMT is Aryan Migration Theory, which was the first step to the total debunking of it (AIT). It was the seed of doubt, to get them to admit that just maybe it wasn't an invasion at all, but a migration. So steps are slow.

Aum Namasivaya

Light Re: Perpetuation of Ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by deafAncient View Post
    Now, what is AMT? I know that's not an incorrect acronym for an ATM machine...

Aum Galeh Yuvo
    Hello, AMT was created when there seemed to be total destruction of AIT. Though it's a new story, the core idea remains same and the conclusions as well.

Here are the chief results of nine studies from various Western and Indian Universities, most of them conducted by international teams of biologists, and more than half of them in the last three years.

http://archaeologyonline.net/artifac...s-aryan-debate

Thread Information