Thread: What is wrong with this forum

Threaded View

Re: What is wrong with this forum

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Avyaydya,

This forum allows constructive criticism. You have only a very short stay here and you should agree that you need more time before you pass a judgement like this on this forum.

What is the problem ? I have seen your posts and this is what I can say :

a) You have formed some idea on what is right and what is wrong on the basis of your logical conclusions and based on experience with this world. Now, the same applies to members of this forum. They have their own ideas and in many instances, they need not match those of yours. Moreover, this is an area where you are new and the people who are long term members have more experience and knowledge of this specific field for which this forum has been made. It is like I go your country and as soon as I meet you I start giving you my piece of mind on what is right and what is wrong in your country. Will you really feel comfortable with me ? No. What is right and what is wrong ... is highly subjective. Anything which you may consider right may be absolutely wrong from my perspective. ... and we should be mature enough to accept this fact of life.

b) Every organisation and group must adhere to some rules to be able to achieve its objective. What is the objective of this forum ? To understand Hindu Dharma better ... to discuss issues related with Hindu Dharma ... to help others in understanding things on the Hindu Dharma matters better. This cannot be achieved without following a strict code of conduct because religion/Dharma is not based on logic and science alone ... faith of the people / beliefs of the people also plays a major role. It is easy to discuss things on a Christian forum or a Muslim forum but it is not so easy to discuss things coolly in a Hindu Dharma forum. Why ? This must be understood well by all of us. This is because Hindu Dharma unlike other religions encompasses many different belief systems which may seem contradictory to each other. How ? I will tell you :

My dear friend, the truth is not what you have imagined to be. It comes colored in different belief systems and biases. However, the unblemished, untainted Truth is the substratum of all such relative truths. Once we start accepting that the others' views may also be right from some other perspective, there won't be any need for most of our rules. But unfortunately, we are not yet there and so, the rules of this forum are required.

OM
    Namate devotee,

I only claim to give a opinion,
    it is simply feedback, what the administrator and others do with it is not up to me. Have no fear, I have zero power on this forum. It is meant well, but distrust seems to be one of the problems on this forum. People start to form opinions and make objections even before I have proposed anything.

You are right that a forum needs to have rules and people applying rules, it is no different in democracy. I find it surprising that democracy is rejected out of hand. The problem of this forum is the lack of democracy and it is actually harming the forum. Patriarchal autocratic rule maybe right for a sect it is not the best choice for diverse community

The challenge of diversity you describe is well solved on the forum by creating separate sub-forums for the different traditions and limit discussion within them. The same kind of system is also used on other forums. That I do not see as a problem of this forum.

Is it the master that chooses his disciple or the disciple that chooses his master? Should we approach new members as their masters? I am not imposing any view. It is not me you should be looking at. I do not have the power or the wish to impose any view. It is this forum that does that. It is most blatantly clear when people start speaking in terms like, if you do not like it, then leave. That would make sense if this is a sect, but it is not a healthy attitude for a forum that claims to serve Hinduism at large. Hinduism that is diverse and renowned for its tolerance is not done justice by such high-hearted attitude.

Last edited by Avyaydya; 26 May 2015 at 07:20 PM.

Thread Information