Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In need of volunteers

Re: In need of volunteers

Vannakkam: We are all a product of our experiences. I was raised on a farm, and taught that the garden was survival, rain means money, and dirty fingernails meant you were a contributor. My mother actually called soil 'dirt'. Some middle class urbanites view rain as a hindrance to their golf, and wonder why it makes me happy. So, in the general sense, I'm no different as to how the subconscious works.

I remember walking around Tanjore and daydreaming of buying a house there, and volunteering to keep the yards clean of rubbish, and maintain the beautiful grass. For a heritage temple, the grounds were a mess.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I would suggest you start doing it right, instead of using that bastardized nearly pidgin slang
    Professor EM, did you just compare me to Eliza Doolittle? Glad to see that the Class/Caste system is alive and well in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Teach kids the important things and have them help out in different areas.
    You must be joking, who has the time to raise kids now a days.

Pranam.

Namaste ji,

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    You must be joking, who has the time to raise kids now a days.
    Apparently those who would prefer to spend quality time with their family and kids instead of showing them they can mow a lawn too.
    Seriously, in my family once kids are a certain age, they're free home labor. LOL

Vannakkam: We are all a product of our experiences. I was raised on a farm, and taught that the garden was survival, rain means money, and dirty fingernails meant you were a contributor. ...
    Sounds lovely. My Dad also grew up on a farm.
    I was raised camping, hiking and mountain climbing. Some of my earliest childhood memories. I knew how to fish and hunt with a snare, bow and rifle, make a campfire without matches or a lighter in damp conditions, identify the local wild plants that were safe to eat, clean and cook food, and set up a shelter and stash provisions by the time I was 9. I doubt I could do most of that now, but it's good knowledge to have and gave me a deep respect for nature - maybe I had some of that anyway. After about a week in the woods, there's not much meaning to the urban idea of "clean" anymore.

Later on in my teens I learned to love gardening and caring for our yard and for animals too.
    I remember walking around Tanjore and daydreaming of buying a house there, and volunteering to keep the yards clean of rubbish, and maintain the beautiful grass...
    Lovely daydream.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Vannakkam: This thread is fun. B, just who is this Doolittle person you speak of? The name certainly fits the actual topic. Do little.

Aanandinii, how many wee' uns do you have? Unfortunately, as a ruralite become urbanite, I missed the opportunity to pass a lot of the country on to my kids. Still they loved the 2 weeks every summer at my parents farm. Sleeping in a tent, swimming at the river, picking berries.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

B, just who is this Doolittle person you speak of?
    Hints:
    Prof. Henry Higgins
    My Fair Lady
    The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain.

You need more?

Pygmalion
    George Bernard Shaw

What a coincidence that the character name of this low class (my class) person Doolittle, fits the actual topic - Do Little.

Pranam.

Namaste EMji,

It is quite fun, thank you for starting it.
    Aanandinii, how many wee' uns do you have? Unfortunately, as a ruralite become urbanite, I missed the opportunity to pass a lot of the country on to my kids. Still they loved the 2 weeks every summer at my parents farm. Sleeping in a tent, swimming at the river, picking berries.

Aum Namasivaya
    I'm sorry to say I personally have no children this time around. Sometimes it's sad, but everything for a reason. I have a large and very close extended family, and I am more than happy to be the best Auntie and Cousin i can be to them all, tiny, medium and grown, along with their menageries. Just this last weekend we had a 13 year old nephew staying with us, and are looking forward to a visit from my 18 year old cousin in a few weeks.

You have brought back a great memory of fresh campfire pancakes cooked with blueberries gathered before breakfast. Wonderful!

I secretly wanted to be Dr. Doolittle when I was a kid, or a female version. He was something of a hero to me.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Vannakkam: The contrast in class theme has been the source of some wonderful humour over the years .. the Beverley Hillbillies, Green Acres, even Forrest Gump to a degree.

There is also intercultural humour, moreso in British sitcoms I think. We had 'Little Mosque on the Prairie' here, and they contrasted a variety of Muslims with prairie small town Canadians. it ciould just as easily have been 'Little Mandir on the Prairie'. I've has some moments of Tamil/convert humour like spicy food and veshtis falling off. But it goes both ways too. Some friends have done some very 'off' gardening or landscaping stuff.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Three cheers for the most active thread of the day started by EM!

At least the subject of volunteering for the temple got hashed out completely.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 30 May 2015 at 08:22 AM.

There is no doubt from my observation, at ISKCON temples ("Hare Krishnas") and Gaudiya temples, and my local Devi Temple (where I help clean up off and on) here in the U.S.A., there is HUGE amount of volunteer work from all ages, young and old, even children, male and female.

Especially at ISKCON temples, which are pretty much (outside of the Temple President and pujaris) entirely run and supported by volunteers. Devotees.

So if one wants to go to a temple that is really big on volunteers, service, devotees doing the work and pulling their share, perhaps an ISKCON temple is the best fit.

Om Namah Shivaya

Thread Information