Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a specific mantra...

Looking for a specific mantra...

Namaste,

I used to recite every time before leaving home, either myself or anyone in my family a mantra (Vaishnava dedicated to Narayana) 3 times. It was said to offer protection from all kinds of evil... Now it has been sometime that I am not reciting it and I forgot that mantra. Would be beneficial if someone could assist me with finding that mantra.

If you know of any mantra recited shortly before leaving home, kindly post.

Many thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Looking for a specific mantra...

Sorry... actually I found the mantra after a very long STRUGGLE.

It is:

Vanamaali Gathi Chaarngi Changi Chakrichanandhaki
    Sriman Narayanoho Vishnuhu Vasudevobhi Rakshathu ||

vanamAlI gadi shArNgI shankhI chakrI cha nandakI |
    shriman nArAyaNo vishnurvAsudevo'bhirakshatU ||

O Beautiful One Who wears the VayjayantI mAlA (garland) of wild forest flowers (of Vrindavan), Holder of the mace, shArNgI bow (dhanushya), discus (Sudarshan chakra) and the NandakI sword, Shriman NArAyaNa, VishNu, VAsideva, please protect us.

Last edited by smaranam; 31 May 2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: shloka corrected

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Sorry... actually I found the mantra after a very long STRUGGLE.

It is:

Vanamaali Gathi Chaarngi Changi Chakrichanandhaki
    Sriman Narayanoho Vishnuhu Vasudevobhi Rakshathu ||
    Namaste Viraja Ji,

There are many errors in the above shloka,the correct version is as follows:

vanamālī gadī śārṅgī śaṅkhī cakrī ca nandakī |
    śrīmān nārāyaṇo viṣṇurvāsudevo'bhirakṣatu

Namaste Smaranam Ji,

vanamAlI girishAngI shankhI chakrI cha nandakI
    shriman nArAyaNo vishNuh: vAsudevobhyarakshatU

May the One wearing a Vayjayanti garland (mAlA) of wild forest-garden flowers (KRshNa), pure complexioned (GirishAngI) , holder of conch, holder of sudarshan chakra (discus), and the nandakI gadA (mace), i.e. Shriman NArAyaN, VishNu, VAsudeva protect us

girishAngI!?
    Isn't Kaumodaki the mace and Nandaki the sword?
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Respected Smaranam ji, Ram ji,

Thank you very much for the right mantra.

Namaste Ram ji

Thank you so much, I am grateful for the correction! Viraji, I am grateful that you brought this up.
    My only sources of this beautiful shloka have been M S Subalakshmi ji and devotees chanting it after Vishnusahasranama at the temple. Could not find its real source.

At first I heard "vanamAlI gadI chakrI" that did not make sense because the chakrI is repeated later.
    This is how I had jotted it down years ago with a blank in place of shArangI (dhanushya, bow).

Then a video corrected me! It seemed to be quite authentic. I played it again and again and it kept saying "girishAngI" At least that is how I heard it consistently (there was a heavy accent and lot of background sound as always -- so gadI-shArNgI + heavy accent + noise = girishAngI)
    My reaction was the same as yours --
    what? GirishAngi? ...OK, fair enough.
    And when I wrote here yesterday that nandaki is the gadA I was thinking to myself "but isn't kaumodaki the gadA?"
    I know why I linked the nandaki with gadA in a haste because that "gadI _______ " was replaced by "girishAngi" and so the gadA had to be mentioned.

What a mess, and finally all pieces fall in place. All ayudhas (weapons) are listed. Thank You! Perhaps Purushottam Parabramhan wanted me to hear "girishangi" -- therefore I cannot explain why it sounded like that in the video -- it was from a video footage of a rare temple and included darshan of NRsimha, Hayagriva, Varaha, Kurma, and a crafted (puppet) murti of Shri KRshNa 4 armed giving AshirwAd (blessings) to Arjun, His hand moving rhythmically. Cannot find it.

shriman nArAyaNo vishNurvAsudevo'bhirakshatU ||

O Beautiful One Who wears the VayjayantI mAlA (garland) of wild forest flowers (of Vrindavan), Holder of the mace, shArNga bow (dhanushya), discus (Sudarshan chakra) and the NandakI sword, Shriman NArAyaNa, VishNu, VAsudeva, please protect us.

Last edited by smaranam; 31 May 2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: vishNurvAsudevo

Dear Smaranam ji,

How will be pronounce ShArngi, Shankhi? Is it like 'Ch' sound or 'Sh' sound?

Thanks.

Dear VirajaJi

ShArnMgI and shankhI are with a sh sound as in
    ShyAmsundar -- first letter in the list under "siblants" in the image below. (English: shout, shore, shark, shape)

where the n~a in shArn~gI is the n~a after ka kha ga gha as shown below (and it is to be quickly pronounced as rn~g not shAr
    angI -- no 'a' halt after r)

Also, people use their local or regional language accents in place of the real sauMskRt sounds many times
    like in some languages/regions they say

dha for tha,
    dha for da
    gha for ka
    thha for ta

gya for dnya (last letter of the alphabet -- sha sa ha La ksha dnya)

jn~a for dn~a (sha sa ha La ksha dn~a))
    I also wonder why the 'h' sound is added unnecessarily where it is not supposed to exist, in addition to the sound changes t---d and k---g

In the image above, it says ta is like thirty and three (which acc. to me includes a 'h' sound). I think it is more like tAt , tumbarU, tAnsen. Not three. It has no English equivalent.
    (Perhaps tortilla pronounce in Spanish comes close).

http://acharya.gen.in:8080/sanskrit/...?lnum=0&pnum=8
    http://www.ancientscripts.com/devanagari.html
    Last edited by smaranam; 31 May 2015 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Namaste Ram ji

Thank you so much, I am grateful for the correction!
    My only sources of this beautiful shloka have been M S Subalakshmi ji and devotees chanting it after Vishnusahasranama at the temple. Could not find its real source.

Namaste Smaranam Ji,

I am glad that it helped it.
    Most of the shlokas that are found before and after the Vishnu Sahasranama aren't part of the original text but may have been added later.The actual Sahasranama starts from the nama "Vishvam".I used to read the Sahasranama before and tried to find the origin of the other shlokas but couldn't.If my memory is correct,the actual Sahasranama contains 107 shlokas(some say 108 but I remember there are 107).

At first I heard "vanamAlI gadI chakrI" that did not make sense because the chakrI is repeated later.
    This is how I had jotted it down years ago with a blank in place of shArangI (dhanushya, bow).

Then a video corrected me! It seemed to be quite authentic. I played it again and again and it kept saying "girishAngI" At least that is how I heard it consistently (there was a heavy accent and lot of background sound as always -- so gadI-shArNgI + heavy accent + noise = girishAngI)
    My reaction was the same as yours --
    what? GirishAngi? ...OK, fair enough.
    What a mess, and finally all pieces fall in place.
    A lot of chants online are a terrible sh*t.The pronunciation is horrifying and most of the words give an exactly opposite wrong meaning.Whenever I see Sahas
    tranam on many chants title-I think,what the hell!Where did that 't' come from.Do singers who produce chanting videos/CDs even bother to read and understand what they are chanting!I guess not.

MS Subbulakshmi Amma,used to learn correct pronunciation of Sanskrit words from Pandithas and practice till every akshara is perfect and then only record it.Such dedicated souls are rarely found.

Perhaps Purushottam Parabramhan wanted me to hear "girishangi" -- therefore I cannot explain why it sounded like that in the video.
    Yesterday,I read in Srimat Shiva MahaPurana that it is Bhakti which is really important when doing any activity.Even if we make mistakes unknowingly or knowingly the Lord said that he forgives those who do things with Bhakti.

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Dear Smaranam ji,

How will be pronounce ShArngi, Shankhi? Is it like 'Ch' sound or 'Sh' sound?

Thanks.
    Namaste Viraja Ji,

I can't explain exactly how to pronounce.Is is not 'Ch',in Shanki,'Sh' as in Shiva,Sharada etc.Even I used to find it difficult to pronounce Sharngi,do listen to MS Amma's chanting,I hope you will get it.
    Last edited by Ram11; 31 May 2015 at 08:53 AM. Reason: clarification about online singers.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Also, wa as in wAn~gmaya is not va as in vast as the 1st image in the post above says.
    Because v in English (as in vast) has some 'h' in it, where as 'w' as in water does not.
    So I guess we should start writing w and not v for
    wara (boon)
    wAn~gmaya (literature)
    wAsudewa

om namo bhagavate wAsudewAya ~

Thread Information