Thread: *Important Questions about Guru*

*Important Questions about Guru*

Namaste,

I learned most things about Dharma,Hindu philosophy and pujas etc. from my family members and elder relatives.In addition to that I came to know some things by attending dharmic discourses,by reading spiritual books and many good things after joining HDF.Few things were taught to me by the Gurus(i.e. teachers/lecturers) in educational institutions I studied.

I do not have a spiritual/religious Guru yet.I have some very important questions for those who have a Guru(& also for those who are waiting for one) and for members who were born in a different religion and are practicing Sanatana Dharma(i.e. western Hindus).

This is of great importance,I request members to read and share whatever they would like to.

PURPOSE:To understand the importance of Guru in one's life and how having or not having a Guru affects an individual's life.

Firstly,questions for those who have a Guru:

1)How did you meet your Guru?
    -Did you search for a Guru or the Guru found you?

2)Is your Guru related to you in any way?
    -i.e. is the Guru a relative/family friend or someone you know suggested this Guru?

3)What do you have in common with your Guru?
    -Same place
    -Speaks the same language
    -Same gender
    -Same Varna/Jati(caste)*Just to know how things work.Can omit this question if anyone feels it is not required* (Keep Manisha Panchakam in mind)
    -Nothing common

4)Is your Guru:
    -a householder
    -a Sanyasin
    -a priest
    -a scholar
    #Is your Guru a Peetadipati/Mathadipathi/part of or head of an organization?

5)How many Gurus you have or had?
    -one
    -more than one

6)How often do you meet/communicate with your Guru?(Physical visits as well as calls/e-mails/video chats etc.)
    -Once a week or more
    -Once a month or more
    -Few times in a year
    -Gap of more than a year between meetings

7)On what issues do you seek guidance from your Guru?
    -Only spiritual matters
    -Spiritual as well as other things like family events/issues,work related stuff,everything etc.

8)Did your Guru give any mantra/shloka or any other type of diksha(initiation) to you?
    (a)Yes
    -Also,does the Guru also supervise progress periodically and suggests changes?

(b)No,the Guru did not suggest any particular thing.
    -But suggests solutions when required?

9)How open are you with your Guru?
    -Do you tell your Guru everything?
    -Most important things?
    -Discuss only spiritual things?

10)How approachable is your Guru?
    -Easily approachable:It is easy to meet the Guru most of the times or always.
    -Somewhat hard:Need to take an appointment
    -Difficult:The Guru is a busy person so a bit difficult to meet.

11)Do you pay you Guru?
    -Do not pay any money
    -Guru doesn't ask for anything but you offer voluntarily some amount/things as a token of gratitude
    -Guru intimates you to pay based on your capacity
    -Guru expects that you must pay

Questions for Western Hindus:

1)Is there any equivalent of Guru in the religion you were born or the one your parents followed?
    (a)No
    (b)If yes,based on the above questions,could you tell the role/nature of the person.
    -How similar or different is a Guru from for example a father/clergyman/preacher?

Thanks.

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: *Important Questions about Guru*

Vannakkam Ram:

In my experience, the main difference is the level of teaching. Yes there are books and lectures, but those are directed at a group of people, and may well be a consensus of thought. When it's sishya, or close followers, the teaching is personal, one on one, a tutorial. So the Guru advises the student according to exactly what that particular student needs. So what He says to one person may vary greatly from what he says to another. He knows you by name, obviously, and is almost like a friend, yet there is utmost respect there too. In some ways He's a reflection of your Self, and the knowledge within You.

Please PM me if you'd like more specifics. I won't go into it in public.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Ram11 ji,
    So important topic, importance of guru...
    I don't know anything about guru and not read guru geeta yet but as you said
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post
    I request members to read and share whatever they would like to.

PURPOSE:To understand the importance of Guru in one's life and how having or not having a Guru affects an individual's life.
    So just sharing my view on guru...
    Enlightment or achieving god is impossible without guru... One cannot proceed further without guru's grace,
    But from my point of view guru is not any person, guru maybe anything which conquer darkness of ignorance and bring sadhak into the light of knowledge... Towards that almighty.
    Anyone and anything from whom you get knowledge which is helpful for u in achieving ur life goal is a guru, one should always make everyone as his guru I mean he has to learn from everything, every aspect of universe.. Each particle of universe have something to learn. If you learn from ant how to do hard work and make ur mindset that you will not give up until u achieve ur goal (spiritual) then we can say ant will be guru..
    I don't have blessed one to have guru (person) so don't know about personal relationship between guru and his student, but true guru knows how to give his students what is best for him..
    Thank you for reading my view...
    Pranam...
    Last edited by Soul of Light; 31 May 2015 at 08:42 AM.
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Namaskar Gurujana,
    I myself don't have a Guru.I mean what is the definition of a Guru or who can be a Guru.To those questions well I don't have a proper answer but all I can say is that a Guru can be a person who gives you proper knowledge and to whom you are devoted to.Towards whom you pay great respect.Seeing whom your heads bow down themselves and a feeling of respect comes out.It can be anyone your father,your mother,a friend with whom you can share your problems and you know you will get comfort discussing it with them.For me that is what a Guru should be.But that is my notion.Moreover,in this cruel world now we see many of those sadhus who people make gurus but they get trapped by them.I am not saying that you can't find a true Guru but it is very rare these days.After everything that comes out in the news nowadays what can we expect.

But from the Gita we come to know Arjuna,when he was in dilemma what to do.Lord Krishna showed him the way what to do,what was right.Shri Hari showed him the way and gave him knowledge about Dharma.Arjuna accepted Shri Krishna as his Guru.Shri Krishna was only a friend of Arjuna who later became his Guru.So,I think Guru in this world would be anyone to whom you can share your problems and get the comfort from their thoughts.You can see the truth in their wordings and get the peace you wanted.

I would like to apologize if anything I said was not proper.I am an ignorant soul myself and wrote what I thought was true.Because I myself have a friend with whom I share every problem and I get answers that provide peace to me.In time,when I am stuck in a situation where I couldn't decide what to do.I seek his advice.He has moved from being a friend to a Guru for me.I have accepted him my Guru.

Dhanyavad.
    Hari bol

Thread Information