Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attack on HDF (From within, outside and backend)

Attack on HDF (From within, outside and backend)

namaste,

The recent activities on the forum have yet been another concerted attempt by several individuals on the Internet to attack HDF.

While I was made to engage here in 'what's wrong with the forum', personally attacked, called a hitler, autocratic ruler, another group of people tried to engage me via email where they wanted to tell me all about Christianity and how Thomas (no, not Thomas the train) influenced Vaishvanism and Shivaism in India. All the while the server was on constant attack.

Now, this three way attack did take a lot of my attention and time but I am not giving up.

My message to the attackers - No, I am not going to give up HDF or the moderation no matter how concerted your attacks are. I will not be intimidated.
    Last edited by satay; 01 June 2015 at 04:26 PM.
    satay

Re: Attack on HDF (From within, outside and backend)

Namaste,

Sorry to hear that. Wish we could do something more than controlling the negativity generated in the forum by self serving people. It sure sounds like the inside-the-forum personal attacks were part of the overall plan on the part of a group to create divisions among members and bring down the forum. I am glad we stayed together as a group and survived the inside-the-forum problem.

As an aside, the background color on my PC has turned from the normal light blue to bright pink. Could this be part of their mischief? Has anyone else seen any changes on their PC - superficial or otherwise?

Pranam.

namaste,
    No, I don't think these fools have such controls to change the background color of your pc. That reminds me, I promised to look at porting your blog but got side tracked. I haven't forgotten it and will take action in the weeks to come.
    satay

Namaste Satay ji,

I'm stunned to hear about the external attacks coinciding with what's happened within the forum, and I sympathize, having been in a similar situation once or twice before. Not fun at all. Am just curious and totally understand if you feel you shouldn't answer but is there direct indication that you haven't specifically named that these attacks may be organized or incited by the same source and the timing isn't coincidence?

Thank you for your efforts in defending this board. I too wish there was more we could do to help besides simply showing gratitude.

~Pranam
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 01 June 2015 at 01:43 PM. Reason: fixing a redundant redundancy.
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

namaste,

There is no way of knowing that for sure but such thing has happened before in a concentrated effort. Sarabhanga, one of the co-founders of HDF used to detect such attacks all the time.
    satay

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    That reminds me, I promised to look at porting your blog but got side tracked. I haven't forgotten it and will take action in the weeks to come.
    That is a low priority item. Please don't worry about it at all in face of the severe challenges to the health of this site.

In hindsight, is it possible that the intimidation by the 'Belgian Waffle' was an attempt to be accepted as a moderator and after gaining extra access to the system, try some mischief with the site itself?

Pranam.

namaste,

That's always in the back of my mind since day one. Ever since HDF was created people have been wanting to become moderators citing this and that problem with current moderation policy of the time. The decision to give moderation rights cannot be taken lightly and it takes me years to trust members with that responsibility. If a mental patient calls me a hitler or autocratic for that I am fine with it.

A mod can essentially see members data, private information that I have promised myself never to disclose, sell or provide unanted access to. I treat every member's info as I would my own identity information. I always assume that members that sign up here are not aware of the malicious stuff that can be done with ones private information so I protect it like its my own.

Mods can definitely do all sorts of mischeif and too without site admins or member's knowledge.

BTW, have you ever had a real Belgian Waffel? I have had several in the centrums of antwerpen, brussels and ghent. Belgian waffels are so delicious and sweet. They taste even better when having with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

That is a low priority item. Please don't worry about it at all in face of the severe challenges to the health of this site.

In hindsight, is it possible that the intimidation by the 'Belgian Waffle' was an attempt to be accepted as a moderator and after gaining extra access to the system, try some mischief with the site itself?

Pranam.
    satay

Vannakkam: One of the things about moderation that posters don't notice is that moderation goes unnoticed for the most part. A newcomer comes on, makes nasty posts towards all of us, or towards an individual, and we just delete the posts. We don't then go on the forum and announce to everyone that we just deleted an insulting post directed at _________. That would defeat the entire purpose of moderation. So the person who posted would notice, but the person being attacked wouldn't notice. The only unfortunate thing about that is that they couldn't thank the moderator for protecting them from attack, or reading an attack on them, because they remain blissfully unaware. Same thing for reported posts. Nobody knows except the moderators.

So thank you, Satay. I am a bit privy to your work.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

I know that moderation is being done as quickly as possible and that good moderation is something that is not even seen, much less appreciated by forum members because they don't know what they are being screened from. But the length of the rope given to the trolls may be revisited. Many times they take a long time in hanging themselves by the rope and it takes its toll on others. One unfortunate drawback is the sympathy that unwitting members start showing towards them at the expense of other Hindus in the forum. At the time that we need to band together is the time when we start falling apart. It is admirable to see the patience shown to the trolls by the moderators but do the moderators really need to justify to the kooks as to how they operate when these kooks are hell bent on disturbing the peace of the forum? A guest who not only does not appreciate the hospitality of the host, but turns outright hostile towards the host does not deserve to be indulged.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 02 June 2015 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

I know that moderation is being done as quickly as possible and that good moderation is something that is not even seen, much less appreciated by forum members because they don't know what they are being screened from.
    As someone who has moderated (never again) I can agree with that. I don't feel that any of you owe that guy an apology. The way you dealt with his barrage is a credit to this forum.

It's your forum, your religion and people either accept that or move on. No different from any other forum in that respect.

Namaste

Thread Information