Thread: Devi Pattinam - Navagraha sthala consecrated by Sri Rama

Devi Pattinam - Navagraha sthala consecrated by Sri Rama

Namaste,

Why did Sri Rama consecrate the navagrahas at Devi Pattinam? What is the event that triggered him to do so?

I find it odd that according to Sri Vaishnavam, navagrahas are not worshiped including omission of navagrahas in SV temples, but to find that Sri Rama consecrate navagrahas in a sthala...

Any opinions, interesting observations, or clarifications on this one?

Regards.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Devi Pattinam - Navagraha sthala consecrated by Sri Rama

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste,

Why did Sri Rama consecrate the navagrahas at Devi Pattinam? What is the event that triggered him to do so?

I find it odd that according to Sri Vaishnavam, navagrahas are not worshiped including omission of navagrahas in SV temples, but to find that Sri Rama consecrate navagrahas in a sthala...

Any opinions, interesting observations, or clarifications on this one?

Regards.
    Namaste Viraja Ji,

I did not know where Devi Pattinam is located.I think there may be two reasons for Lord Rama to consecrate the sthala.

1.Lord Sri Rama was born in Surya Vamsha and Lord Surya Graha was his Kula Devata.So Lord Rama must have installed the Navagraha Devata temple in honor of his family deity.

2.Sri Vaishnava Sampradaya was established some centuries ago whereas Lord Rama lived some hundreds of thousands of years ago in Treta Yuga.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post
    Namaste Viraja Ji,

I did not know where Devi Pattinam is located.I think there may be two reasons for Lord Rama to consecrate the sthala.

1.Lord Sri Rama was born in Surya Vamsha and Lord Surya Graha was his Kula Devata.So Lord Rama must have installed the Navagraha Devata temple in honor of his family deity.

2.Sri Vaishnava Sampradaya was established some centuries ago whereas Lord Rama lived some hundreds of thousands of years ago in Treta Yuga.
    Namaste Ram ji,

Thanks for the reply.

Point #1 may be right.

Point #2 is incorrect as far as I know. It is said SV (known as Sri Sampradaya) hails from mother Mahalakshmi. As far as I have read, one of its foremost Acharya's - Swami Nammalwar - was born within days after the birth of Kaliyuga (and demise of Sri Krishna).

The reason I connected both is to know if there are special circumstances, as in pujas or other rituals (or even events) when a Sri Vaishnava worships the Navagrahas!

Namaste Ram ji,

Thanks for the reply.

Point #1 may be right.

Point #2 is incorrect as far as I know. It is said SV (known as Sri Sampradaya) hails from mother Mahalakshmi. As far as I have read, one of its foremost Acharya's - Swami Nammalwar - was born within days after the birth of Kaliyuga (and demise of Sri Krishna).

The reason I connected both is to know if there are special circumstances, as in pujas or other rituals (or even events) when a Sri Vaishnava worships the Navagrahas!
    Hi Viraja,

Sri vaishnavites or those who has done saranagathi to Sri Maha Vishnu will never worship mini devathas like navagrahas, who depends on the lifeless grahas when there is parama chetana tattvam Srimannarayana ?

Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    Hi Viraja,

Sri vaishnavites or those who has done saranagathi to Sri Maha Vishnu will never worship mini devathas like navagrahas, who depends on the lifeless grahas when there is parama chetana tattvam Srimannarayana ?
    Namaste Sir,

I am not questioning any of the beliefs of Sri Vaishnavas.

I am just curious to know if Sri Vaishnavas do not worship Navagrahas in any instance, Why did Sri Rama build temple for them? That is, under what circumstance did he build temple for them?

How about events such as 'boomi poojai' (worship of earth) when building new houses, etc?

Or circumstances such as a new venture is undertaken - for example, I have seen many Brahmanas do navagraha pooja for those taking movies, etc, at the commencement ceremony.

Do Sri Vaishnavas do pooja for navagrahas under any of the above mentioned special circumstances?

EDIT: Although Sri Rama was a Kshatriya (of Warrior clan), he is looked up as a role model also by Brahmanas and thus his religious orientation and behavior should supposedly be the ideal behavior for a Brahmana too, IMO.
    Last edited by Viraja; 03 June 2015 at 04:38 PM.

Namaste Ram ji,

Thanks for the reply.

Point #1 may be right.

Namaste Viraja Ji,

But we don't know exactly if Lord Rama followed Sri Vaishnavam or other Vaishnava traditions.He could also have been a Smarta.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Interesting Ram ji! Ofcourse there is a strong possibility...

Valmiki Ramayanam is the only Pramana. I don't think Valmiki Ramayanam mentions this event, there are many authors who write something just to glorify the devathas that they worship. Like for instance they say Sri Rama has established a Shiva Lingam and he used to worship it. Guess what Sri Rama never worshipped Siva and there is no account of it in Valmiki Ramayanam.

Also Sri Vaishnavism is not a matham/religion. Sri Rama is direct Dharma himself, Vaishnavism exists from time immemorial and this was just highlighted by acharyas and Alwars. The 3 eternal entities will always be there Jiva, Prakriti and Paramaatma and this is in accordance with the Vedas.

adiyen Ramanuja Daasa

I'm interested in knowing if this event is registered in any version of Ramayana - Tulsi one, Kambar one or any other, not necessarily Valmiki Ramayana.
    Last edited by Viraja; 04 June 2015 at 04:56 PM.

Thread Information